Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having more or less completed a layout its time to liven it up a bit. Got some people for stations. Since they have no bases I was wondering what other folk have used to keep them upright. Glue, bluetack or other ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (dumpy @ 27 Mar 2009, 17:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Having more or less completed a layout its time to liven it up a bit. Got some people for stations. Since they have no bases I was wondering what other folk have used to keep them upright. Glue, bluetack or other ideas?

Hi Dumpy,
I find that EvoStik is the best medium to use. If there's scatter material then just scrape a little bit away, put a dab on the baseboard and a dab on the feet then wait a few minutes for the glue to become 'tacky' and press down. Simply cover with scatter if any glue squishes out.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Here is an idea which I have to admit I haven't tried. Get a very thin pin (Peco long thin track pin comes to mind) and cut off the head and some of the shaft to reduce it to about 7mm. Heat the blunt end in a flame and push it into one leg of the figure ("they don't like it up em"). Then you can push the pointed end into the layout where you like. It will probably make such a small hole that you can easily disguise it if you decide to move the figure to a different location.

I hope that the idea works but please give it a first try on a figure that you are willing to lose. Cheers, Robert.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yes, the pin works very well, especially on balsa/ card platforms. Not so hot on eg roadways, tends to break up the surface. Careful with your photos though, these guys tend to rotate or adopt a morris dancer pose!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well I have used this method for some years now, it enables the figures to be moved around the layout surface with no breakage to the legs of the figures.
Obtain clear platic material as used in component packaging. Cut into strips of 5/16" wide and again cut the strip into 5/16" long bases.
Add one of the cut plastic base below each of the figures, securing by adding a minute amount of strong adhesive to the feet or bottom surface of the figure - allow adhesive to become tacky and then press, hold figure to the centre of the plastic base for a few seconds. Each figure will remain upright when placed, without falling over and can easily be relocated to another part of the layout.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Hiya Dumpy

drill a tiny little hole in one foot and superglue a peco track pin in point first - then cut off so you have like about 1 cm. drill little hole where you want the figure, add a tiny spot of superglue on the pin and push in the hole !!! and a figure placed and no mess at all !!

Hope it helps you

Nikki

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for replies. Its brilliant to get such a wealth of ideas from other people's experience. Have got 50 figures so going to keep me busy. Like the pin idea and also putting on clear plastic bases. Have to sleep on it and then try both before deciding. Thanks again.

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
When planting figures, the first thing that I do is make sure they stand up properly ! If so, the normal PVA works. If not then file the feet until they do. It works great until you need to mount people on one leg - joggers for instance. I've now got one girl head down leaning forward and her mat behind her leaning backwards (damn it). Time for some water and then try the pin idea methinks.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Personally i use good quality PVA, put a liitle pool on a piece of plastic, dab your figures in it, leave them until the glue goes tacky and position where required. We haven't lost a figure yet on SL in three years on the road!

Regards

·
Registered
487 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their idea being best for the purpose of placement of figures on their layout.
However, my idea given earlier, is far the easiest will little chance of figure leg breakage or damage and the easiest method to relocate figures on the layout surface (perhaps excluding uneven and rough surfaces).
Gauge 00 is if I understand correctly is what the topic is in question - drill required will be the smallest gauge obtainable to drill a hole in the bottom of the figure's foot, rather a tricky business.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I tend to agree and this is in fact what I have done with very pleasing results. Thanks to all for your contributions.

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
QUOTE We haven't lost a figure yet on SL in three years on the road!

I know this topic is about OO gauge figures but how do you secure the penguins?

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use an impact adhesive such as Bostik. They will stand quite succesfully if you leave the glue for a couple of minutes before putting them in position

Tony Clarke

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 30 Mar 2009, 16:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know this topic is about OO gauge figures but how do you secure the penguins?

Mackerel.

Regards

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Now come on you lot. We all know that a penguin's foot does not stick to anything.

(If you're modelling British outline, the only place I can think of where railways and Penguins coexist is Wipsnade Zoo's trackless railway for the little ones; but I digress methinks.)

I suppose we could stick a pin up a penguin's foot but since we might miss and deflower an otherwise perfect scale model, perhaps we should concentrate upon the problem of people.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Bob,

Perhaps I should explain, the St. Laurent penguins are well known here, in fact infamous probably comes close. Said penguins actually reside, all five of them, in the Ardennes region of Belgium.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
QUOTE all five of them

I thought there were six but one had gone AWOL? Hence my question about sticking them down

David

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you buy Dart Castings figures ,many already have a pin attached to one foot to make painting and placing much easier .Also Trackpass's new OO Dolphins have a similar pin.
plug plug plug

1 - 20 of 21 Posts