Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, new to this forum but here goes, i am considering changes as above ,as i have reached the capacity of workspace with 00,but have concerns as to the possibility of dcc control / sound in the case of n gauge any advice would be gratefully received, john

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had similar considerations when I returned to the hobby a few years back. The scale length train possibilities were a major attraction to switch to N.
But an old timer asked me how good my close up eye sight was? Did I have to wear reading glasses? Unfortunately I felt my answers had to finish any thoughts of switching from OO to N. I have since been very grateful for that advice, not least because many of the latest developments in the hobby eg DCC sound, are so much easier in 00. Also the wealth of RTR super detailed SR locos produced in 00 recently (yes I know the the M7 and Q1 are also in N but what about the N15, Schools and T9 - especially the T9! )

So that's my twopennerth but I am sure you will get some contrary advice and you will just have to weigh it all up!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm very happy with N. Then again my interests are scale-ish length trains running in a realistic setting rather than ultimate detail in a small area. Obviously detail is smaller and more difficult to do but it's also more difficult to see so perhaps can be omitted. So unless you start taking close-up photos you may not have a problem.

DCC in N is no real problem unless you are running very small locomotives or a few specific ones that are known to be very difficult to fit decoders to. It's a bit more fiddly than OO and the small decoders are a bit more pricey. However it's pretty much impossible to fit a speaker into a locomotive and still leave enough of the weight and mechanism for it to haul very much. Some multiple units allow for sound and some people use sound systems with fixed speakers.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi jcarr and welcome to the MRF.

I, myself, went through the same soul-searching dilema a couple of years back and, depite wearing reading glasses, have no regrets.

OK there are limitations with regards to built-in sound but, as Edwin comments, there are fixed speaker systems which, while not perfect, are, lets face it, a damn sight better than anything available in 00 as little as 5 years ago. You could, of course always model American which would, indeed, give you the facility for in-built sound. Given time I think someone will come up with a solution to the problem. Magnetic couplings can also be a bit of a problem but I'm using the DG Couplers now (having failed miserably to get the Microtrains/Kadee type couplers into N Gauge locos) and have no problems either with their operation or aesthetics.

As regards DCC control chips, there are some amazingly small, yet still fully functional chips around these days. Have a look at the Elekroniks range, particularly their DCX74Z which, since it is designed to actually fit into a Z Gauge loco, will fit into just about the smallest N Gauge loco you can think of. I have several small 0-6-0 s which are fitted with this chip and they run like a dream.

The big attraction for me is scale length trains which run 'through' realistically proportioned landscaping. I don't think of N Gauge as a means of just getting more track into the same area but rather a way of being able to produce a layout in which the presence of trains appears to be 'natural' rather than 'imposed'.

But then I'm biased !!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I changed to N scale because I did not like the look of the superdetailed locos running on my small radii and trough small points. A 16" radius is too small for good looks if you want to run large locos in OO but looks fine in N. And more coaches per train does help,too.

Thomas

@ EXPAT: please what are DG couplers as I am always interested intp better couplers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
[quote name='barrymx5' date='28 Nov 2008, 15:35' post='69010']

Hi Barry

"Also the wealth of RTR super detailed SR locos produced in 00 recently (yes I know the the M7 and Q1 are also in N but what about the N15, Schools and T9 - especially the T9! )
"

You may like to know that Union Mills Models, a small manufacturer from the Isle of Man do a Ready to Run T9 in N, I am told it is the wide cab version with 6 wheel (as opposed to Watercart) tender. I do not have this model but I do have a fair number from this manufacturer and while not having all the add on detail of recent Dapol and BachmannFarish releases they are excellent reliable runners and incredibly good pullers.

Union Mills do not have a website but do advertise in the Raiway Modeller. Other recent releases include the Southern "700" "Black motor" and for LNER fans the GC J11 "Pom Pom".

Roy

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
A change to N is wonderful thing - you'll get very real looking trains in the same space you didn't before. But I wouldn't model British N, I'd do German epoche 3 and 4, lots of nice stuff available. As a matter of fact if you send me a PM, I'll give you a list of things you might like to buy....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Although I am making a small UK Southern layout (plank)using all those great Hornby models .I have been buying a small amount of US N gauge with the idea of a small Frisco based layout at some point ,probably a tail chaser as I love to sit with some good music and some JD and watch a train running round and round ,So far I have a Bachmann 2-8-0 undec'd and the same for a Model Power 4-4-0 which I have modified to actually pull something .i am going to get some random micro Trains cars and just play it by ear .Trouble is I also have some 0 gauge I am making ..............I think a sound equipped N scale layout would be great .
Martin

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Thomas @ 30 Nov 2008, 11:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>@ EXPAT: please what are DG couplers as I am always interested intp better couplers?

Here is a picture of ones I have installed. They are much neater than the standard Rapido type coupler and the uncoupling facility is operated by an electromagnet set under the track.

They are available from Model Signal Engineering.

Motor vehicle Gas Rolling Military vehicle Auto part

Attachments

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (jcarr @ 29 Nov 2008, 00:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi, new to this forum but here goes, i am considering changes as above ,as i have reached the capacity of workspace with 00,but have concerns as to the possibility of dcc control / sound in the case of n gauge any advice would be gratefully received, john

*** Predictably most answers are from N scale modellers:

Train length issues and ability to reproduce larger senes are a clear advantage with N if room is restricted, and N is improving constantly compared to a decade ago when UK N scale was frankly appalling in average running quality.

European and US N scale is currently still well in advance of UK quality, running quality and generally reliability and performance wise, to the point that I now refuse to install some UK N prototypes by certain brands (sorry guys, its simply the truth as I see it while having to install DCC in all prototypes in N)

Pragmatically:

* Detail and running under DCC are significantly better with 4mm scale.
* Lighting prototypically is practical in 4mm but not always in N.
* DCC in general is no problem for most N scale loco's but installation can be tricky.
* Sound is totally impractical in all but larger tender type steam locomotives with Loco drive and can be fitted to very, very few diesels and (unless money is no object for install cost) NO tank loco's with N scale, but it is almost universally possible to shoe-horn sound into every loco type in 4mm scale (I recently did an L&Y Pug for example).

Richard

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
how deep does your modelling skill go?

how much time can you devote?

what about TT or 3mm scale?

this is a nice, half-way measure combining the eyesight advantages..plus detail...of 4 mm scale, with some of the space advantages of N or 2mm scale.

If European models appeal, there are quite a few European makers of ''TT''stuff...including such good value makers as Piko....Tillig produce ready-made track to suit.

For UK prototypes..whilsthtere is little if any modern RTR stuff, there is a thriving club in the 3mmscale socitey who can provide pretty much everything a modeller might need for this scale....many of the etched loco and stock kits made for 4mm or 7mm scales are also produced in 3mm scale, for sale through the club.

Like OO, there are realy a couple of track gauges available...12mm gauge and 14.2 mm gauge..the latter equating to EM for 4mmscale...however, I beleive the European makers use 12mm gauge, but their actual scale ratio is slightly smaller than that used by old UK makers, so the gauge discrepancy is less obvious.

DCC is a control system, so is as easy to apply to 3mm scale stuff as OO or N gauge...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts