Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as I have just taken early retirement and it’s time to get out the armchair . But over all the years stock has been collected and it really needs 5 layouts to be built! So here are the five layout plans:

INNTALBAHN ( ITB) Oberaudorf, Bayern . HOe Narrow Gauge . DC
well a total system based on the German side of the Inn Valley .
full network plans and a route map plan and background history all done .
Layout mostly built .

Garston Loco Stabling Point . OO gauge BR. DCC
model based on the track plan of Garston stabling point .
layout well advanced , portable .

Liverpool Alexandra Dock (LNWR) Yard and station . OO gauge BR DCC.
based on the BR yard but with “modeller licence” retaining the station that closed in 1949 and demolished in late 1960,s . Layout will be based around the garage and feature BR and MD&HD diesels .

Lunzer See HOe in Austria DC.
garage. Shelf layout to run my large collection of OBB narrow gauge stock .

Mersey View , Tasmania ! OO/HO DC .
There is a river Mersey in North West Tassie with major Tasrail freight flows.
this portable layout with recreate a little bit of Tassie …

well that’s it , hope you like my mad plans :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two layouts need overhead wiring for the electrics and three don’t.
so the Austrian / German HOe I did think of changing a few buildings like the station to change from Austrian narrow garage to German . But I kept coming back to the issue of OLE and running electrics without even OLE . Plus their are so many subtle changes needed to get this right I decided to have both!
Garston is portable and in could be linked to Alex Dock but will be the test bed for learning DCC for me and I don’t really have the space for both up permanently. So got agreement with domestic authorities to refurb the garage and that gives me the space for my shelf layouts even if the Tassie and Garston are portable and more like layouts that suit exhibitions .

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
...the test bed for learning DCC ...
1.Read manual of DCC system for comprehension.
2. Connect DCC track output to layout input, set any section switching to that connection.
3. Create a programme track connected to the DCC system programme track output.
4. Plug decoder into a known good loco, place on programme track and make address change to verify a good installation.
5. Transfer loco to layout and begin to enjoy the operational customisations that are available.
6. Install a few more loco decoders and practice all system functionality that you find useful, until 'unconciously competent' with the system.

Required one evening of about 3 hours to run from step 1 to starting step 5, and about a fortnight of daily operation to explore and complete steps 5 and 6. (OK, this is just loco operation, you may wish to do more.) I am still enchanted by the stability, flexibility and reliability which DCC offers, every loco smoothly creeping into motion at dead slow on speed step 1, speed curves and accelerations matched as desired, park a loco anywhere, and it goes on.

Hint: If your DCC system offers address 0 for operating one DC loco, don't use it. This is a legacy feature and well over twenty years obsolete. Can burn out a good can motor without blinking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Paul,
I love something a bit different so a large “welcome“ from me!
I’m specially interested in the Tassie stuff, that’s definitely not common even down under, I guess. Don’t they use Cape Gauge?
Will you have two differently gauged fiddle yards or one with dual gauge track?
Cheers,
John E.
Tassie modelling is interesting !
The real railway is “large narrow gauge” and if you don’t look at the track it of course looking similar loading gauge to UK . With a lack of any ready to run models I was amazed to see layouts in OO and HO . There seems to be now some with accurate standards and I thing the layout “Fingel” is really good . So I have managed to buy a couple of OO/HO kits and also a Bachmann BR Class 04 shunter . I was then offered a New Zealand model of Tasrails only NZ “DC class” in HO gauge . Add to this there has just been an announcement this week of a Queensland loco QR by SDS models which was sold second hand to Tasrail and they will do the Tasrail livery . RTR Tasrail !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1.Read manual of DCC system for comprehension.
2. Connect DCC track output to layout input, set any section switching to that connection.
3. Create a programme track connected to the DCC system programme track output.
4. Plug decoder into a known good loco, place on programme track and make address change to verify a good installation.
5. Transfer loco to layout and begin to enjoy the operational customisations that are available.
6. Install a few more loco decoders and practice all system functionality that you find useful, until 'unconciously competent' with the system.

Required one evening of about 3 hours to run from step 1 to starting step 5, and about a fortnight of daily operation to explore and complete steps 5 and 6. (OK, this is just loco operation, you may wish to do more.) I am still enchanted by the stability, flexibility and reliability which DCC offers, every loco smoothly creeping into motion at dead slow on speed step 1, speed curves and accelerations matched as desired, park a loco anywhere, and it goes on.

Hint: If your DCC system offers address 0 for operating one DC loco, don't use it. This is a legacy feature and well over twenty years obsolete. Can burn out a good can motor without blinking.
I will certainly be on a learning curve , so thanks for the above notes . I do have a friend who is a great modeller and a MERG member but I am opposite end of the scale , DC only and struggle beyond the basics of Electrics . My strength is rail ops and for me beyond this you need an S&T team on site :) … so a big thank you Paul

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tassie modelling is interesting !
The real railway is “large narrow gauge” and if you don’t look at the track it of course looking similar loading gauge to UK . With a lack of any ready to run models I was amazed to see layouts in OO and HO . There seems to be now some with accurate standards and I thing the layout “Fingel” is really good . So I have managed to buy a couple of OO/HO kits and also a Bachmann BR Class 04 shunter . I was then offered a New Zealand model of Tasrails only NZ “DC class” in HO gauge . Add to this there has just been an announcement this week of a Queensland loco QR by SDS models which was sold second hand to Tasrail and they will do the Tasrail livery . RTR Tasrail !
Hi Paul,
Very true about Tassie modelling being interesting!
Have you heard of Wuiske Models? I know they do some stuff for one of the “mainland” railways, Queensland, maybe? I actually bought one of their kits because I thought it looked like I could knock it about and turn it into a H0 scale BR class 20 but it was too nice!
British outline in H0 scale is another of my many interests you see.
Anyway, someone did a BR class 04 shunter in H0 scale as a 3D print, it looked great but I missed it. It wasn’t from Shapeways - their stuff is rather crude.
I’ve heard of SDS models, they do something else I really want, must email them again about that.
Keep up the good work.
John E.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Paul,
Very true about Tassie modelling being interesting!
Have you heard of Wuiske Models? I know they do some stuff for one of the “mainland” railways, Queensland, maybe? I actually bought one of their kits because I thought it looked like I could knock it about and turn it into a H0 scale BR class 20 but it was too nice!
British outline in H0 scale is another of my many interests you see.
Anyway, someone did a BR class 04 shunter in H0 scale as a 3D print, it looked great but I missed it. It wasn’t from Shapeways - their stuff is rather crude.
I’ve heard of SDS models, they do something else I really want, must email them again about that.
Keep up the good work.
John E.
SDS Models 1460HO130 QR 1460 Class #2056 Tasrail Blue 2000s | HO Scale (PRE-ORDER)
(This is a PRE-ORDER ITEM - Product will be delivered once released by the manufacturer to Little Train Shop. Visit Queensland Railways 1460 / 1502 Class Locomotive for project updates and more information.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts