Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies as I am sure this has been covered before. I have a 10 pin socket in a model that has speakers already installed, (Trainorama). I presume that the extra 2 sockets are for the speaker outputs. However what chip would suit?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Kauri @ 11 Nov 2008, 06:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Apologies as I am sure this has been covered before. I have a 10 pin socket in a model that has speakers already installed, (Trainorama). I presume that the extra 2 sockets are for the speaker outputs. However what chip would suit?

***Which Trainorama locomotive is it? Be a wee bit careful and pre-test everything before installing a chip, as while most are fine some of them have some real issues - for example the 32 has motor lower brush earthed accidentally to chassis, some mis-wirings etc etc... and its a real B to get it apart to repair these issues before installing anything.

As is, in 100% I've seen so far, the 32 will cook any decoder installed!

If you advise which model and whether you want loco drive or sound decoder recommendation, it will help answer your initial question.

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If your not to particular in decoder choices a TCS T-1 will work or a Lenz Silver if you want to spend a bit more money. With the 44 you can get an ESU Loksound decoder with the correct noises from Richard I believe.
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (Kauri @ 11 Nov 2008, 23:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow Richard thanks for the advice. The locos are a class 47 and a class 44. (I think I will do the lotto tonight). It's a pity, as they are beautiful locos.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Kauri @ 11 Nov 2008, 21:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow Richard thanks for the advice. The locos are a class 47 and a class 44. (I think I will do the lotto tonight). It's a pity, as they are beautiful locos.

Those two are just fine - its not all of them, just that some seem bedevilled with problems. The 44 in particular is very nice!

Follow Charles's advice re decoder choice 0 they will run well

Richard

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 11 Nov 2008, 13:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Those two are just fine - its not all of them, just that some seem bedevilled with problems. The 44 in particular is very nice!

Follow Charles's advice re decoder choice 0 they will run well

Richard

Thanks Charles for the advice. If I want to exploit the speakers in the loco's I will require a sound chip, and any ideas as to who makes a 10 pin sound chip?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Kauri @ 12 Nov 2008, 01:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Charles for the advice. If I want to exploit the speakers in the loco's I will require a sound chip, and any ideas as to who makes a 10 pin sound chip?

*** Hi

you will need an 8 pin sound chip:

The speaker wires are separate from the DCC plug. A word about the speakers fitted to the Austrains locos - they are woeful, and you should replace them.

I do an ESU LokSound CHip for both loco's with cirrect sound files. My sound files for these loco's are highly regarded and are NOT the standard generic ESU sounds every on else uses!I strongly recommend two speakers in parallel for best performance. For more details please PM or email me.

If you want someone to install I can do it for you and also we can add full prototypical lighting - As an example of how much better this is, here is an Austrains CF - its ex factory with only a basic headlight, but this one now has sound, new much better LED headlight, all markers, working ditch lights and cab lights (plus working rear markers etc)!

(Note - they were ALL turned on just for the photo - of course, they'd not normally be all on at the same time)

regards

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts