Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to convert a co-co chassis to 10000 and if successful another to 10001. Can anyone advise on the best green paint to use for circa 1962 please?

Thanks in anticipation

Ian M

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Both were black for a very long while and even carried LMS until 1950 or so... LMS removed / re-marked as BR when they went to the Southern region and were only green repainted when returned to Derby for major service (painted in standard BR Green) about 1955 - Precision do this colour. 10001 was scrapped late 1962....

If you want a "non model paint" aerosol colour, then I understand that the original Landrover Middle Bronze green is a very good colour match for BR Green.

Richard

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The only pictures I've ever seen of 10000 & 1 they've always been in their black livery. They were scrapped in 1966 and 1963 respectively, so were they ever repainted?

Regards,
John Webb

Quick addition after seeing Richard's post - picture taken on the LMR in 1959 immediately to hand they still seem to be faded black colour.
John

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Not according to my book on LMS Diesels, or two websites full of LMS data John, sorry :) ....and I'm pretty sure 10001 was scrapped very late 62.

Richard

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw them both in Derby along with two of the 1020X class no in the best of states, that must have been between 63 and 65. I had a feeling they were slightly different to the BR green but memory is not my strongest point.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Richard,

You're most likely right - I was only looking at one printed source and they could have been wrong!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Both locos seem to have had 2 green liveries, one with a white stripe and one with orange/black/orange lining.

The book Diesel Pioneers by David N Clough has a colour photo of 10000 (green/white stripe) on the cover, and a b/w photo of it with the lining on page 10. However, this latter is dated Sep 1956 and the BR symbol is located low down and just to the left of the large bodyside grille.

The white stripe photo is said to be 1962 and the BR symbol is towards the middle of the loco, but above the white stripe.

This would suggest that the orange/black/orange was removed and the white stripe reinstated sometime between 1956 and 1962, which seems rather strange.

The photo of both locos double heading in 1956 on the RPA site show them both to be in the green with orange/black/orange lining, and the Mike Morant fotopic photos from the above link seem to suggest that not only were both locos given this treatment but 10001 even sported a small yellow warning panel.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Beaten to it by jonny888! The only additions I would make to his post are:

The earlier green repaints had the orange/black/orange lining and primrose roofs, which soon dirtied down anyway.

The later green livery used duck egg blue lining where the silver bands were on the black livery and for the raised numerals. This scheme used grey for the roofs. 10001 was the only one of the pair to sport the small yellow warning panels.

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
QUOTE (jonny888 @ 18 Jan 2009, 20:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.. The white stripe photo is said to be 1962 and the BR symbol is towards the middle of the loco, but above the white stripe. ..
That sounds like Colour-Rail DE18, a good picture in bright sunlight of 10000 climbing Camden bank with seven non-corridor coaches. The loco carries electrification flashes so consistent with a 1962 date: the print I have of this is in Colin Boocock's 'British Railways in Colour 1948 - 1968'; but (unusually) no date is given. On the basis of this picture my circa 1961 cobbled together bash of much modified class 44 body on 37 mechanism will be plain BR engine green, mid-grey roof, white lining and numerals, liberal dollop of LMR filth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, and the same photo is also in Colour of BR Vol 1, a thin paperback publication by Atlantic. However, the caption here does give the date as 4 Jun 1962 and the train is the 5.25 pm Euston-Northampton. It also goes on to say that in Aug 1956 10000 was repainted in Brunswick Green with the new BR emblem at Derby Works. This livery was carried until September 1957 when it was repainted in unlined green.

The lined green version, therefore, lasting only just over a year, which may explain the lack of colour photos.

The notes do not say when 10001 was given lined green, but mention that it had appeared in unlined green by October 1957.

10000 was withdrawn in December 1963, and 10001 in March 1966. (sorry poliss, just realised you already posted this)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts