Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 32 Posts

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
I use ESU Switch Pilot servos for driving servos for changing points and semaphore signals. In the beginning I used the track power for both the signal and power supply but as I added more servos I reached the point where the switch on current required by all the servos starting up was too much for the ECoS and it went into a continuous reset mode.

I fixed the problem by providing a separate A/C supply from a transformer which was within the voltage range specified by ESU.

My Continental shelf layout is controlled by Roco kit. The Roco decoders also have a separate power input and for that I bought a DCC Concepts power supply which provided a voltage which met the Roco specification.

So long as the power supply you use does not exceed the rating for the accessory decoder you should be fine.

On the subject of using Y connections to drive two servos from one output, I haven't tried that.

David

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
The ESU Switch Pilot servo allows you to set the end points for the servo so you don't have to do anything special with the actuating arms. For one Switch Pilot servo driving two servos off the same drive you will of course have to ensure that the mechanical linkages match.

I mount my servos under the baseboard with the operating rod run along the rotor arm like this:

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
I have a variety of Switch Pilot servos connected to my ECoS 1. I expect that on the DCC command side, it will be pretty much the same as an ECoS 2, I just have a mono display.
I don't recall having any problems but I hooked them up some years ago.
I have a spreadsheet with the main settings.
I have managed to cut and paste a section.
As I remember it, the key things are:
  • The decoder address (26) assigns 4 accessory addresses - 101 to 104.
  • Each servo has a speed set by a CV
  • End point A is set by a CV
  • End point B is set by a CV

I remember making most of the setting in POM mode so that I got instant feedback about what was happening.

I hope this helps.

Accessory #​
Location. RailCom enabled​
Device​
Address​
CV​
Purpose​
Setting​
Edit #1​
Edit #2​
Edit #3​
Edit #4​
101​
Servo​
26​
37​
Speed​
15​
38​
Position A​
39​
Position B​
102​
Eng Shed Jnc: Point 9​
Servo​
26​
40​
Speed​
15​
41​
Position A​
40​
42​
Position B​
44​
103​
Eng Shed Jnc: Slip 7​
Servo​
26​
43​
Speed​
15​
44​
Position A​
16​
45​
Position B​
9​
104​
Eng Shed Jnc: Slip 6​
Servo​
26​
46​
Speed​
15​
47​
Position A​
14​
48​
Position B​
9​

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
Well done!
My intention, at some time - is to "swap" position A and B on each servo at Switch PIlot Servo.....
Pretty sure I had to do that. I would have swapped the servo count settings.

I know I can use a common address so that all four servos will throw together
Have you tried the built in route setting on the ECoS?

David

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
Ah the trials and tribulations... it's all a bit too much like work ...
When I researched the Kadee electric uncoupler a long time ago, I noticed that it required a lot of current so I decided to give it its own power supply which would be activated via a heavy duty relay. I think I was planning to use one from a car so that it would be sure to handle the current.

On the double cross over shutdowns, it was either or both
  • Momentary short circuit because the blades did not all change at the same instant.
  • Power overload in the servo driver circuits because too many servos are moving at once.

I think my money would be on the first of those.

To avoid shorts due to unsynchronised point blade switching I feed each point separately from the single entry point, so the blades can never short out either exit route. Easy to do if you build your own double cross over but on the Shinohara?

I am glad that you persevered and solved the problems.

David

1 - 5 of 32 Posts