Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Just a quick note to say that me hosting company has changed their servers around so the links no-longer work. I will look at alternatives but would be interested to know what others do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Just trying out some new image hosting.

The current track plan. The image does not show the main fiddle yard which is under the centre section and is accessed by ramps running right to left on both the top and bottom sections.

The new train room almost ready to start building. It is basically 10mtr x 7mtr with a 2mtr x 5mtr addition at the far end on the right.

The basic boards going in using stud walling steel with OSB3 tops (wood is very expensive here in Spain).

And finally for now I have a picture taken a few weeks ago showing the basic steel and woodwork is now in place and track laying is progressing a pace.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well quite a while since I did an update. Here are a few photos:

So a reasonable amount of track laid. Southern fiddle yard under centre section is completely wired and tested. Rest is as you can see. All track has jumpers attached but not connected under the board to bus wires yet. On the last pic you will see I have made temporary bridges over what will be a river to allow me to make reasonable progress. My intention is to build the final bridges as and when I am working on the scenic elements in that section. I hope I am still on schedule to have a loco completing a full circuit of the layout (approx. 90mtrs) by Christmas, then I can start on scenics and minor lines. Temperatures are above 30 deg C almost all time now so work is somewhat limited. Roll on September when things cool down a bit and I can hopefully spend more time on the project provided the wife agrees. She is away for a couple of weeks in September so unless I get left a long to-do list, some reasonable progress could be made.

·
What do I put here!?!
883 Posts
Hi Dave,
Looking really good, that is a fair old bit of progress you've made there. I'm sure at this rate you should be able to see a train in motion by December.
On my Leberecht, I made sure to lay my track on hot days (less easy in the UK!) and my layout had no ill effects when set up outside and the strong sun got to it, 31C in the shade! My track-bed was really hot but nothing buckled. So, if you can ensure that you only lay track when it's hot, you should be fine.
I reasoned that it's easier to deal with shrinkage than excess expansion.
Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just thought I would post an update as it has been a while. Work has been continuing and track laying, other than a small section where the turntable will eventually be sited, is now complete although I forgot to take the springs out of the Peco double slip points so that is proving a challenge. I don't think it is worth posting any new photos at the moment as the bulk of the work is under the boards. I have over 100 point motors to wire up for DCC operation and test along with droppers from every piece of track to be either joined to the DCC bus wires or to the train detection units. I am currently running at about 340 mtrs of cable used! The right hand side of the layout and the central lower fiddle yard are almost complete and nearly ready for testing. The upper central section and left hand side are coming along although lagging behind some what.

I recently joined a model railway club based out here in Spain and various members have expressed an interest in seeing the layout, even at this stage of the build, so a visit has been organised for the 15th of November. So now I have a deadline, even if it is self-imposed. My target is to have the ability to run four trains round the whole layout when they come. All the points may not be fully working but something to show would be good. I'll also take the opportunity to place some dummy signals made from drinking straws at, what I think, is appropriate places and see what people think. I could even take some pictures and open it up to views on the forum.

Anyway time to press on. Double slips here we come.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Hi DaveH

Nice to know your making progress. I hope you wiring is neater than mine, I just rushed mine a bit so I cold get on with the more interesting bits.

Best wishes

Derek

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Oh heck (well nearly!). Got 5 of the 6 Peco double slips sorted and was just on the last one when it all went wrong. A slip with the screwdriver and the point all came apart and looking at the bits there is no way it's going back together. So a hasty order to Hattons for a new one which should take almost a week to get here. Plenty to do whilst I wait for that bit though. The right hand side of the layout is up and working including the polarity switch section. Just need the next batch of DCC Concepts point motors to arrive and the new point and I can crack on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don’t worry too much. Invited members of my model railway club to see my layout (still claiming a world first as I held a model railway and pygmy goat party) and I was concerned at how members would perceive my humble efforts. All were positive about what I had done so far and very helpful about ideas I had for the future. In my limited experience the model railway community is a very warm place to be a part of.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well I thought I would post a quick update and the progress over the last month. No pics I am afraid as it's all wiring etc. I had a self imposed goal of getting at least a basic circuit running for when fellow models from down on the coast came to have a look last Wednesday. Success. Alright one small stretch containing 11 of the point motors is just working using droppers and wires to points just twisted together but they are working. So I now have a circuit and can use around 94 of the final count of 102 point motors (phew). The train, a Deltic Pinza along with 6 carriages (which will be about the limit due to station platform lengths) takes just under 7 minutes to do a full circuit without stops. So I am now trying to get to grips a bit more with Traincontroller and DecoderPro. The Deltic is the only loco that has been properly profiled at the moment but stops with a cm of the same spot at the station platforms now.

Awaiting more cable and the last few point motors so I can finish off the rest of basic track work then a far amount of testing can begin. I don't want to start ballasting or scenic work until I am sure the track itself is working correctly. I also need to start working out exactly where I am going to put signals. I am currently thinking semaphore on the branch and colour light on the main line with ground signals in the goods yard etc. Then there is also the new DCC Concepts point rodding to consider. There is no way I can afford the time or expense to use it on the layout as a whole but one small area might be interesting.

Anyway that's about it for now. Hopefully by Christmas the last of the basic trackwork and point fitting will be finished - fingers crossed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well I thought I would post a short update just to show work hasn't actually stopped on the layout. All the track is now laid and electrically hooked up to the track detection hardware and all 104 points now work fine. I have just a small issue on one of the up ramps which shows it as occupied all the time. I have come across this before and it is simply that the section is too long and is generating a false signal. I can easily cure it by splitting the section into two but just haven't got round to it yet. For the last few months I have been busy ballasting the track and about 80% of it is now complete, the main areas still to do are where the bridges will go. Anyway a pic:

The above picture shows progress on the southern section. Underneath the camera is the southern fiddle yards which emerges to a station (where the houses are currently deposited). The main line then continues at the same level and a branch line rises to the far corner.

This picture shows the centre section on the northern half of the layout. The main line splits into four tracks at this point and heads down the boards before coming up boards to the right (not shown) and then dropping down a hidden ramp in to the northern fiddle yard which is actually under the section shown. As you can see I am ballasting this section at the moment. Where the Walls ice cream tub is located will be a turntable leading to a shed. The tracks with all the locos on are not powered and will be for engines awaiting cutting up. In the centre will be warehouses and a quarry at the far end.

Ok, I was warned that this wasn't going to be easy. The above picture was taken a couple of months ago and the supports have moved on a little. Basically the Hornby suspension bridge was too long and also needed to be double track so hence the butchery. The support towers are close now but I am trying to get the profiles some where near and it's taking some time. I keep having a little play now and again but it's really a background job.

Anyway that's the update - no trains running at the moment and probably not for a couple of months yet. They have been working fine but I don't want to run them until the ballasting work is cleaned up.

Off back to the UK tomorrow, hopefully to buy some bits and visit the Great Central Railway model rail event.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well time is moving on and with the current situation progress was moving along but I have to say there is only so much I can do before I start feel like it is less of a hobby and more like a job. Luckily with the size of the layout I can flit around between different things. I have posted on another forum about the problems with point motors loosing their setting when there is a short. That required extra kit and the re-wiring of the 50+ scenic point motors which solved that problem but caused another. Oh the joy. I did treat myself, just before lockdown started here in Spain, to a laser engraver/cutter and have spent many hours working out what I can do and making up my own designs. Here are a couple "in progress"

and just to finish off a bit of the layout that is a little further on. The outer two bridges are single track for the branch line which rises to the left whilst the centre two bridges are modified to be double track for the east coast mainline.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (DaveH_Murcia @ 4 Nov 2020, 09:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... I have to say there is only so much I can do before I start feel like it is less of a hobby and more like a job...
Know that feeling! Solved it for myself by the realisation that what I really enjoyed was timetable operation of the trains, and secondly having the right stock for the trains, and everything else could pretty much go hang! Why do stuff that doesn't give enjoyment in a hobby activity? So what I have is a 'trainodrome': the track layout per prototype, on which the representative correctly formed trains can run to timetable. This was very satisfactory outdoors where the scenery almost takes care of itself, and works well for me indoors too. Bliss!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
That laser cut stuff looks good!

David

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
It's been a while since I posted here but not due to inactivity. It's been a rather frustrating time with projects having to be put on hold while I tried to source additional bits. To top it all my 2mm MDF man ran out and sent me what he had (2.5mm) which was thoughtful but given my laser will only cut 2mm MDF max it didn't solve me problem. Anyway a pic of the project I have been working on. It's been in progress for months with supply delays but, other than an order for some lights, it's making progress.

The canopy is to my own design and, other than Peco decorative columns on the platforms is all cut on the laser. Including rivets (which you won't see) it's around 900 parts and counting. The building in the foreground is a goods warehouse at our local station here in Spain. Again a work in progress. The warehouse has been extended at some point in it's history and is made up of a new and an old half.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Both models look excellent

David

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Just an update on the canopy. The idea was that the support legs fed into holes on top of the supporting wall but were not glued in place so that the whole structure could be removed if required. Well advice from elsewhere suggested an alternative where by the legs are fixed in place so that the wall is part of the canopy. Pins can then be inserted into the wall extending out beneath it and will locate in holes in the baseboard. I think 4 or 5 pins per side should do the trick. A lot of work to change it but it should make removal and re-installation much easier if and when required. Anywhere here is an updated pic.
Asphalt Composite material Slope Rectangle Road

41 - 58 of 58 Posts