Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
ok, number 1,

does anyone know where i can purchase a british rail permanent way truck please ? (00 scale)
its the one that has a cabin in the body of the truck and yellow overall.

i seen some in the railway modeller magazine on some of the layouts over the last year or so but they never say who makes them or where you can buy them !

any help on this one please ????

number 2.

i have 00 scale stuff and was wondering, is it possible to put 3 link couplings on everything?
only ask as the normal hornby/bachmann etc etc couplings look crap (
) on my layout. it makes all coaches and wagons look miles apart from each other !

i have ROCO stuff too and they are all fitted with close couplings which make things look good !
But,the only downfall with hornby etc to Roco is that Roco put springs etc under the chassis which makes the coupling 'give' when entering a bend/curve but i wont be able to put that sort of thing on hornby stuff because they dont make them with any space under the chassis to fit such a thing.

does anyone else have different couplings ?

if so, what please ?

thanks all

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Can't help you with the first one unless there's some in the EFE truck range or the Trackside range.
As for the second while three link and screw couplings look good they can be a bugger to couple up if you are doing a lot of shunting. Smith's, Markits, Gibsons, all make either three link and or screw couplings.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 7 Jun 2007, 23:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok, number 1,

does anyone know where i can purchase a british rail permanent way truck please ? (00 scale)

i seen some in the railway modeller magazine on some of the layouts over the last year or so but they never say who makes them or where you can buy them !

any help on this one please ????

number 2.

i have 00 scale stuff and was wondering, is it possible to put 3 link couplings on everything?
) on my layout. it makes all coaches and wagons look miles apart from each other !

i have ROCO stuff too and they are all fitted with close couplings which make things look good !
But,the only downfall with hornby etc to Roco is that Roco put springs etc under the chassis which makes the coupling 'give' when entering a bend/curve but i wont be able to put that sort of thing on hornby stuff because they dont make them with any space under the chassis to fit such a thing.

if so, what please ?

thanks all

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 7 Jun 2007, 14:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have 00 scale stuff and was wondering, is it possible to put 3 link couplings on everything?

if so, what please ?

thanks all

Three link couplers require quite large radii for reliable operation, minimum 36", and ideally sprung buffers. Look good, offer the 'loose coupled' buffering up effect when used on traditional 4W unbraked wagons, but require patience and dexterity in coupling and uncoupling.

Buckeye couplers, of which the Kadee is probably best known, work extremely well and offer close coupling with minimal slop; and look realistic on models of buckeye coupled prototypes.

Both Hornby and Bachmann now make coaches with extending coupler mounts and NEM pockets so that you can remove the tension lock coupler that is standard in OO, and replace with the device of your choice. I can vouch for Hornby's 'close coupler' (R 8220, pack of 10 ,very similar to the Roco in appearance), which will work with these; ironically works best on Bachmann mk1's, keeping the corridor connectors in contact on straight track, but will still let them negotiate a set track point crossover.

Then there is the miniature version of the tension lock mounted in an NEM pocket, as found on Bachmann's 4W wagons. As supplied there is far too large a gap between wagons. Shorten the NEM pocket and the 'legs' of the coupler to place the bumper bar in the same plane as the buffer heads, and it is possible to have the wagons buffer up when pushed, and still able to be pushed around curves of 24" radius without buffer locking. That's been my 'cheap and dirty' route to more realistic looking loose coupled goods trains.

And that's just a few of the possibilities, others with different experience will doubtless describe further methods.

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 7 Jun 2007, 14:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok, number 1,

Kodiak Bear are you talking about a tamper (a yellow track maintenance machine). If you are Bachmann produce both powered and un-powered versions of these. Unfortunately I have a suspicion that they may well be HO though.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Kodiak bear,

Liliput makes them maintenance machines, powered versions

Kibri also does these machines, unpowered, cosmetic.

However all are in HO.

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 7 Jun 2007, 14:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have ROCO stuff too and they are all fitted with close couplings which make things look good !

Have you looked at the Roco Close Coupling Conversions by any chance - if you want some more details send me a PM.
Hope this helps.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Assuming that we are talking about the road going "Gobby" vans I seem to recall that Langley made one and may well still do so. Failing that try and get hold of a copy of Railway road vehicles published a few years ago by Ian Allan. This has several photos of them over the years. I would imagine that it would be possible to use an EFE or similar as a basis and scratchbuild the body. If you would like some photocopies of the trucks send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send them to you.

Regards

John

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW,

thank you all for your input.

firstly, had a look at the Langley site and they had none.
not sure of the nickname of them, ie; Gobby vans but if i can find a pic i will try and show it on here so some might see what i am on about.

couplings,

kadee are expensive are they not ?

is it, one fits all and do they only fit in NEM sockets ???

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE kadee are expensive are they not ?
Maybe it depends on where you buy them, but in the UK they are expensive.

QUOTE is it, one fits all and do they only fit in NEM sockets ???
If only

There are 3 or 4 versions to fit NEM pockets, ranging from incredibly short to quite long.

Then there's the incredibly diverse ranges of which the "No. 5" is the best well known. I use couplers from the 30 series on my Parkside kits. There's a couple of pictures in this blog entry showing a No 36 and a No 38.

There's a lot of information on M.G. Sharp's website.

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 7 Jun 2007, 20:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>firstly, had a look at the Langley site and they had none.
not sure of the nickname of them, ie; Gobby vans but if i can find a pic i will try and show it on here so some might see what i am on about.

I must admit I have no idea where the nickname comes from but i have been using it for the last 20+ years, it would be interesting if anyone out there has any idea and let us know.

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Kadees aren't real expensive about A$9.00 for four. In the NEM range there there are four sizes 17,18,19 and 20 with 17 the shortest and 20 the longest. With Kadees close coupling is possible but you have to be careful as buffer locking on tight curves is a real possiblity. On Hornby locos I've found the coupler to at the right height but on Bachmann stock the pocket is set a little a low. This isn't a problem if you don't mix up the two products but if you do you may find some random uncoupling if the models go through a low spot on the track.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 8 Jun 2007, 05:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WOW,

firstly, had a look at the Langley site and they had none.
couplings,

kadee are expensive are they not ?

is it, one fits all and do they only fit in NEM sockets ???

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
has anyone tried any of the other [plastic] kadee lookalikes, on UK prototype stuff?

has anyone tried some of the kadees designed for the smaller scales, on 4mm scale UK models?.(to overcome the obvious visual impact by reducing its profile?]

QUOTE With Kadees close coupling is possible but you have to be careful as buffer locking on tight curves is a real possiblity.

Lots of new models have sprung buffers....are these 'effective' to reducing the above, either with '3-links' or others?
or do we have to return to the old criteria used when 3 link couplings were fitted? (IE replace buffers/ease curves, etc)

I recall an old advice, of having one buffer left convex, the other flattened.........would this process ease the risk of buffer locking?

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 8 Jun 2007, 20:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>has anyone tried any of the other [plastic] kadee lookalikes, on UK prototype stuff?

Lots of new models have sprung buffers....are these 'effective' to reducing the above (buffer locking on tight curves), either with '3-links' or others?
or do we have to return to the old criteria used when 3 link couplings were fitted? (IE replace buffers/ease curves, etc)
I have some of Bachmann's Kadee equivalents.

One lot as supplied on their HTA's, and also fitted them myself to the class 66 which pulls these vehicles. These are mounted at buffer beam height to match the HTA's, and do not look wildly oversize in this position, perhaps because they are in the right location from a prototype perspective, and have the buffer beam behind them?.

I also have a few in Bachmann BR mk1's, at the standard height, and they work perfectly with Kadees on other vehicles.

Sprung buffers and buckeyes are not a good combo in my experience. If you position the buckeyes for close coupling, the buffers have to be compressed for the couplers to latch, which usually requires manual intervention. Similarly, auto-uncoupling is usually inhibited, because the couplers are kept in tension. To overcome this, I have the buffers secured in the retracted position, so that they do not make contact. Reflects prototype practise...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I wouldn't use the cheap and nasty plastic ones on anything. You can use the "scale' 58 series couplers but there isn't any of them in the NEM range yet and there are no over set or under set shank couplers all are center set. One thing to be aware of when using the 58 series couplers is dips in the track. With the much smaller coupling face it's easy for the couplers to slide apart.

Most of the three link couplings and screw couplings I've used, Smiths, have been overscale and threrefore slightly longer so I've had no problems with buffers locking up. Mind you my smallest radius curve is 36" and the largest 60" but even with that size curve I have had Bachmann Mk1's that have locked up as they don't have sprung buffers nor flexible gangways. I'd like to replace the gangways but I haven't found any decent ones yet.
Some pics of Hornby coaches I've done.

The Pullmans were done using a Kadee #5 coupler as there is no NEM coupler pocket on the Pullman. There should be some pictures of how I did it in my blog.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (alastairq @ 9 Jun 2007, 05:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>has anyone tried any of the other [plastic] kadee lookalikes, on UK prototype stuff?

has anyone tried some of the kadees designed for the smaller scales, on 4mm scale UK models?.(to overcome the obvious visual impact by reducing its profile?]
Lots of new models have sprung buffers....are these 'effective' to reducing the above, either with '3-links' or others?

I recall an old advice, of having one buffer left convex, the other flattened.........would this process ease the risk of buffer locking?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
nice, clear pix..thank you.

In the past, folk have often noted the curved (for magnet) kadee shank resembles a typical air hose/vacuum hose connected.

Has anyone tried 'winding' thin copper wire tightly around the shank to resemble corrugated hose?

(for those close -up pix we publish herein?)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 7 Jun 2007, 21:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ok, i hope this works
http://efeztk.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk...2/22910grc.html
in this picture, the truck i am on about looks like this but in the main box body is where the windows are (behind the cab) and where the crew had a brew and butties.
click on this link, scroll half way down, pic on the right is simular to what i am on about !

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/ate/tec/yellow2.html

ok, thanks everyone on the kadee couplings. where is the cheapest place to buy them please ?

anyone got any ideas on the permanent way trucks please ? have a look at the links above to see what i am waffling on about.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi I looked at the Langley models stand at Chatham yesterday and while they do not do the appropriate body they do do a Leyland truck which would be correct to use. The truck in the previuos message would not be correct as it is a military spec. 4wd Bedford

Regards

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts