Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is it me or has there been a distinct lack of rumour or leaked information as to the production plans for Hornby and Bachmann next year. A few years ago at this time of year we were getting snippits of information as to the plans of these companies for the following year. Now its all gone very tight lipped.

Has anyone received any information that might hint at next years production schedules for Hornby and Bachmann. With all these good models I like advance warning to budget for them

·
Registered
44 Posts
Although there are benefits in knowing what might be released over the next 12 months, I find that Bachmann's approach infuriates me. They appear to have very long lead times from the trailing of what they might release, to the time it hits the shelves. How far this reflects their design lead times is one thing, how far it acts as a spoiling tactic is another. How long ago was it since the announcement of an Ivatt Class 4 or the Fairburn Tank and the first delivery? Perhaps I have selected an extreme case, but some of you will know that these models have been on the horizon for a long time.

What I would like to see is a more considered approach over the fitting of sockets for DCC chips, especially on steam locomotives. If the product is DCC ready, why should it need so much dismantling? Do those of you who buy US or continental models of steam locos, have similar problems?

I would like to see some more Southern and GWR 4-6-0s, but the most surprising omisions from the main ranges are the 0-6-0 engines, which represented the bulk of UK built steam locomotives. Will there be a greater effort to produce more passenger coachs which match or exceed the quality of the Bachmann BR Mark 1s.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Even those of us "inside" the trade know little about what is forthcoming and I can understand manufacturers' reluctance to say too much too soon - Mow's point about Bachmann illustrates the pitfalls of trailing new products too far in advance and I know some customers have been waiting for Bachmann and Farish items for 18 months.

I also agree about 0-6-0 tender locos, we do have 4Fs, Dean Goods, 2251s, Q1s, J39s and others covering the Big Four but many pre-grouping designs survived well into the 1960s and would therefore satisfy a greater number of potential buyers. How about a Midland 3F, an SE&CR C Class, a J15 or a L&NWR "Cauliflower", a L&SWR "Black Motor".

It is a shame that Hornby hasn't thought to use its 28XX components to make a 2-8-0 or 2-8-2 tank version..... After all Swindon standardization must be to a manufacturer's advantage?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I am not too sure that we did get snippets of information in the past. Hornby have traditionally released their news on 1st January and this goes back a long way. Bachmann have less of a tradition but they do get the news out in time for the magazine deadlines in January.

Hornby have said that they will be launching their own digital command control system in 2006 and this has been flagged up.

Maybe Bachmann are beginning to realise that it does not do them any favours to provide news of new models well in advance of production and Hornby have always released news at the beginning of January. The only time in the last 5 or 6 years that I can remember Hornby releasing news about a new model in the middle of the year was when they announced the Merchant Navy. And as this was to be the first of a new breed of Hornby model then it was big news at the time.

Similarly Live Steam was big news and that was announced in the month of September.

Anything else that you hear is entirely rumour and gossip until the manufacturers confirm the rumour and gossip.

In terms of Bachmann though think about this...

They seem to produce prototype models and exhibit these a year or more before production. Generally the prototypes are a bit sloppy and not that well put together with boiler doors that are lopsided and handrails that are twisted and so on and so forth.

I do wonder if this is a strategy so that they can get feedback from the rivet counters which then helps Bachmann go on to produce a better model!

A very cost effective way of producing great looking models!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
303 Posts
Following discussions today at the Warley exhibition, with someone from Bachman, I think that they are considering either an 04 or a G2.

I would put money on the 04 as it has more permutations.

Colombo

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i have heard the same rumors that evryone has heard regarding the blue pullman mounds being called up but when i spoke to Mr Kohler on saturday he has quite dismissive of the idea. but was that just part of the game? i have also heard that bachmann will only do steam next year? when they went through their 37/20/55/peaks phase they got alot of bad press but the 66 was already advanced and the 57 had already been anounced and it would have been bonkers not to back date the 57 to a 47 (i know it was announced later but i think that was the plan all along).

Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELLO I TO WAS SPEAKING TO SOMEONE ON THE BACHMANN STAND WHO SAID THAT THE 9F AND THE FOWLER WOULD NOT ARRIVE UNTIL MAY AND THE DMU NOT UNTIL JUNE THAT ONLY LEAVES SIX MONTHS OF NEXT YEAR FOR UNANNOUNCED NEW LOCOS ??? HORNBY VISITED ALSTOM EARLIER IN THE YEAR TO LOOK AT PENDELINO DRAWINGS ???

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I heard from a source that Hornby are considering putting their own ringfield motors and running gear into a number of former Lima OO products and will upgrade the models in the same way that they are upgrading the continental range. They are definitely not going to go with the Lima running gear as this just is not transferable to China.

Hornby are not into limited edition models and this fascination with limited editions contributed to the downfall of Lima. So don't expect the same from Hornby given that they do reintroduce some of the former Lima range.

There was also a rumour of a new Live Steam model next year that should appeal to Southern Railways enthusiasts.

I have just opened my new January edition of Model Rail and there is a massive feature on GWR railcars. These are very popular with modellers and surely the case for a relaunch of the GWR railcar is stronger than the blue Pullman?

Why have Model Rail suddenly gone big on this topic I wonder?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i cant imagine hornby putting in ringfeild motors into the lima stock. although the motors are good, they really are yesterdays technology. if hornby are going to go through all the trouble of remotoring anything it will be centre driven on all axels.

i really dont think this will happen next year though. we may get the 67 but thats about it. i think the emphasis will be on the european ranges next year from hornby international and not the brittish stuff. much of which is junk buy todays standards (DMU's are ok though).

"HORNBY VISITED ALSTOM EARLIER IN THE YEAR TO LOOK AT PENDELINO DRAWINGS ???"-i didnt know about that one!! i have always liked the dapol bodyshell but it was totally let down buy its mechanism and chassis. it had a good range of rolling stock though, they did all the early pendolino stock that was later modified into production stock. lets hope hornby have the foresight to pick up on that trend.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE i cant imagine hornby putting in ringfeild motors into the lima stock

I can! It is a simple solution that requires little modification to a lot of the existing Lima products. Maybe two new small molds and a chassis mold modification tops. The Lima range probably is not of the quality to take it seriously upmarket but as a value product then there is a lot of potential. However as stated this is unlikely to happen until 2007.

Think of what Hornby did to the former Mainline Class 56. Its a reasonable model for the money and a good reliable runner. I've got a weathered example.

I suspect that the Lima OO steam range is a bit of a dodo though with the only one that could possibly be of interest and resurected being the Class J50 tank.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 5 Dec 2005, 16:00)I can! It is a simple solution that requires little modification to a lot of the existing Lima products. Maybe two new small molds and a chassis mold modification tops.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree but, I still dont think they would bother with the ringfield motor. they have tons of european models to churn out withought giving us second rate models that they know full well will give them bad press. for the DMU's they already have a good underfloor mechanism from the turbostar and about the only lima diesel worth doing is the 73. that is actually quite a nice model and i think it would benifit from a decent motor.

but we will have to wait and see! (exciting isnt it!!)

Peter

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those that buy the BRM magazine, the January issue contains a little glimpse of new liveries for next year, although as usual no hint of any new models.

The January issue with calander was available early at Warley with the following models shown;

EWS CLass 60 as 60026
GWR Clerestory 3rd Class Coach
BR Rebuilt Merchant Navy as 35019 French Line CGT
FGW Mk2 Coach
LMS Coronation as 6226 Duchess Of Norfolk in maroon
BR Ex LMS Full brake
BR Q1 as 33023
Skaledale Fire Station
LNER A1 Flying Fox in LNER Green
EWS Seacow
0-4-0 Christmas Special, bright red with large Hornby logo.
3 Plank PO wagon as George K Harrison Ltd
BR Castle as Fairey Battle

While at Warley, and a point to note if you like to collect the Toy Fair limited editions, previous ones being the Waterman Class 20 and last year the maroon Jinty. I posed the question to the Bachmann club stand to try and find out what next years will be and was told that there may not be one for the retailers as far too many were selling them to make a quick profit when Bachmann had given them as a good will gesture. Needless to say Bachmann have taken a dim view of this and I was told that if they do not make one for the retailers then it maybe made available to the collectors club members.
I will say that this is all up in the air from the impression I got talking to Bachmann so no definate decisions yet. We shall see.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The only rumors (Reagarding Hornby) I have heard is that some of the UK Lima stuff won't be appearing in 2006, and that a Mk1 Slam Door EMU is being developed for release in 2006.

Not sure how true those are, but time will tell really.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Jennings @ 6 Dec 2005, 12:19)a Mk1 Slam Door EMU is being developed for release in 2006.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have heard that the EMU has been postponed.
pat hammond more or less said that in todays mre mag.
i think that could be considered a reliable source.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hornby probably have plenty of projects in hand over the next year or two that they consider to have better commercial potential. Note that the language used is postponed not abandoned.

As an example Blue Pullman or SR EMU?

If you were Hornby which new tooling would you invest in given the current concensus in magazines and on the internet?

This has to influence thinking.

Now I don't have any insight whatsoever into what Hornby are planning but it is always interesting to read the rumour and gossip from those who claim to have!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
267 Posts
Any one know of any Bachmann rumors for what there plans might be for 2006? (Besides the rollover of the Fairburn, 9F, and 108 DMU's)

My prediction is as follows:
I suspect that we won't see anymore 57's this year due to the 47 being released (Presumably). New release wise i'd like to see a couple more variants of the 66 (Freightliner with old light clusters, and GBRf with the revised lights) and either 66951 or 952 (Or one of the new GBRf low emission ones)

Steam wise 'm not sure really as my knowledge of steam is rather limited.

·
Registered
487 Posts
In June 2005 Bachmann were to release a new 158 DMU in various liveries.
This model was then rescheduled for August, then October, then February 2006 and again rescheduled for June 2006.
All this rescheduling has put me off buying this model when it does eventually become available on to the retailers shelves.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.