Model Railway Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do not worry any longer what Hornby will produce.

As long as it fits the late 50s early 60s and is weathered I am afraid I will have to buy it. I started with LMR rolling stock but of course could not resist the excellent Q1. So some Bulleid 2C1 will have to follow. And who could resist the A3 and A4? And there is the nice Grange model.... Some day Hornby will produce stunning WR and SR coaches.... I just hope I can afford all the 2006 stuff.

Oh dear, forogt Skaledale, another cruel attack to the purse...

Thomas

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think Heritage Railway magasine has unwittingly revealed Hornby's main steam engine model for next year!

http://www.heritagerailway.co.uk/headline.htm

QUOTE The popularity of the class is such that model maker Hornby is to release an all-new high-detailed version of it in 2006 - with Britannia, Oliver Cromwell, William Wordsworth and Firth of Tay the first off the production line!
Does this mean also that a Live Steam model of the Britannia is also on the horizon? After all the A4 and the A3 were both upgraded and the old moulds converted for the Live Steam range.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
While at Warley this year on the Heljan stand where they were launching the Class 33, there were posters of Class 26 and 27. One would hope these will arrive in 2006. I'll have a green and a blue one please

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (Garry D100 @ 18 Dec 2005, 20:09)While at Warley this year on the Heljan stand where they were launching the Class 33, there were posters of Class 26 and 27. One would hope these will arrive in 2006. I'll have a green and a blue one please

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And i'll take one each of those Cargowagons they show in the catalouge ...

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Noting the Heritage Railway magazine story:-

QUOTE POP mogul Pete Waterman has held talks with multi-millionaire steam locomotive owner Jeremy Hosking about the sale of BR Britannia Pacific No 70000 Britannia.

QUOTE The popularity of the class is such that model maker Hornby is to release an all-new high-detailed version of it in 2006 - with Britannia, Oliver Cromwell, William Wordsworth and Firth of Tay the first off the production line!

I believe Jeremy Hosking is the largest private shareholder in Hornby. The Times last summer had this to say about the Marathon three of which Mr Hosking is one:-

QUOTE While it is owned by a Jersey trust, we assume that the three directors own a third each. Hosking, a railway buff, also has a £3.4m stake in Hornby, the quoted model railway group. We value the stakes of the Marathon three at £73m apiece, adding £20m to each of them for past salaries.

I wonder if Mr Hosking buys a preserved version of every new model hornby produce!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Pat Hammond's MRE is certainly a marathon read today!

I have noted this comment made by the editor:-

QUOTE Judging by what Hornby were showing to the model railway press this week, they will not be pulling in their horns next year and Lima is certainly not dead. More on January 1st - Ed.

Interesting.

Happy modelling
Gary

MRE can be visited by clicking the link below:-

http://www.mremag.demon.co.uk/hpsite/index.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
A pal in the trade tells me Hornby are planning a brand new model of the Pendelino for 2006 (not the Dapol effort). This might explain why so many Dapol sets are currently appearing at a swopmeet near you. Also planned for 2006 are the return of the ex-Lima 73, 67, 101 and 156.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE One former Tri-ang model will be returning next year, using the old tooling - Ed

Whatever, if it is popular then who knows what could be next!

Now the EM2 was at Warley....

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I do hope that Hornby rerelease the 101.
They go for £100's on Ebay which is well over the top.

If they do release it again, all those that have paid through the nose for one will be weeping.

I wonder what price they would be, £40ish would be reasonable.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Garry D100 @ 21 Dec 2005, 16:18)I do hope that Hornby re-release the 101.

But only if it's the ex-Lima one
,-not the ancient underscale Tri-ang era one
-yuk!

I think it's something else though,-an EM2 would be nice,but would need a lot of re-working to take a modern motor[even a ringfield one].
Could be 'Rocket',but they'd have to source a modern tiny motor,and do some modifications to install it,-so probably not.
Could be 'Lord of the Isles' or Caley single,but they take the X05 motor,which is also obsolete,-so probably not,-again.
M7 perhaps?,-much more of a posibility I would think!
The chassis takes the X03 motor,like the B12,so they could fit the M1799 motor in the 2-piece metal cradle[as in the B12],new Chinese-type wheels and pick-ups,and maybe wire handrails,and with a decent Chinese paint finish.
This would produce a model of equal standard to that of the B12,which is a current model with Tri-ang pedigree.
Shame the wheelbase is wrong though
,still,they didn't worry about things like that in Tri-ang days!

-All this speculation is great fun!

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Bilbo @ 21 Dec 2005, 19:06)It's a Blue Pullman ........isn't it ?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..I hope not!,the Tri-ang one was pretty dreadful as it stood
...,and once again,my comment re motors applies.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just discovered a Blue Pullman hiding in a cupboard and am not terribly impressed with it! It isn't all that bad, but not in the same class as current models. It seems that people only want things because they can't have them, rather than for any more reasoned need. It's interesting to ponder on how many re-issued or even redesigned Blueys would actually sell, were Hornby to actually put them on the market . . .

I have a sneaky feeling that a Princess Elizabeth may be somewhere in Hornby's plans and who would want one of those old heaps either, if a spanking new super detail model were to suddenly arrive in the shops?

·
Registered
763 Posts
There is one thing for certain. Whichever prehistoric hornby model either bachmann or heljan decide to bring up to date hornby are guaranteed to dust off the moulds and try to nick a few sales from them( I hate that).For a few clues as to what may be coming out from the existing stable in new liveries the BRM free calendar is a good guide.

As for Bachmann having a 2 year lead time is it that they announce things at tthe offset whereas hornby do the research first for a year and then announce it (live steam and class 08 shunter for example). If bachmann really do take twice as long as hornby in the ersearch and development stage why are the diesels so strewn with obvious and difficult to rectify errors like the peak bonnet line and according to some missing exhaust outlet( not seen one up close).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just been browsing Hornby's website in the product catalouge area and a catergory called 'Hornby DCC' has appeared ... Nothing in it ... yet ...

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The focus of attention is on Hornby however there is also Bachmann, Heljan, Dapol, Peco and others.

What are the thoughts on these?

Heljan will bring out the Class 26 and Peco the N gauge Collett. Heljan won't confirm or deny that they are looking at possible steam prototypes. Peco do have plans for another tender loco based around the 0-6-0 tender drive running gear that they have developed.

Dapol definitely have N gauge plans in mind and may introduce a tender based steam loco and another modern outline loco. Dapol have no plans for any OO gauge loco models.

There has been very little public speculation about the Bachmann plans and they cover O, OO and N gauges.

Happy modelling
Gary

21 - 40 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.