Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not going to negatively compare the various forums as one man's meat is another's poison.
I am more curious how many in general do you participate or lurk!

My personal favourite is this one as it's not too busy and has variety in the sense of having a goodly number of Continental modellers. I was very impressed with Doug's coverage of Nurnberg as I'm interested in the news aspects of the hobby. So this is the one I put my money where my mouth is and became a member plus.

Pat's site isn't strictly a forum but with someone so close to Hornby in particular I've got to keep my nose in! But I don't write in.

New Railway Modellers I respect as they have so much beside forums for 'newbees'. I post occasionally.

Hornby's own has a very high proportion of younger ones so is rigidly controlled. I agree with that and do post.

Andy Y's forum is probably the largest but I only lurk as for my money there's too many D&E folk with strong opinions but there's a wealth of info there and the guy himself is straight-up.

My vote for the most irrelevant 'campaign' on forums this year was the one for "better 00 track". A noble sentiment but no one (the Plowmans excepted) was prepared to put figures where their mouths were. So naturally it died a death. If the manufacturers act on this I'll be using the sweet chilli sauce on my second hat!

Have a good one guys/gal!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Strange but I agree with all that!

Model Rail Forum is a gentle stroll around the model reilway world arguably the strongest on DCC

MREmag is an interesting daily read and has good correspondence.

rmweb has a D & E feel, members with very strong opinions and is hyper active with a down to earth man in charge.

new railway modellers does what it says on the front cover

Hornby Forum is family orientated and from time to time has interesting "admin" posts

Happy modelling
Gary

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
The more the merrier in my opinion. Each site tends to have a particular strength, this one being noticeably more mature in manner and expression of opinion. Like Ozwarrior, I am grateful to the HO and 'outside the UK' participants here; it is very interesting to have some interaction with the railway modelling world beyond 'little Britain'.

Dapol appear to be leading the movement toward more direct engagement between the RTR manufacturers and the web; that's a very encouraging development. Hope to see this aspect grow. The manufacturers should - purely from a business perspective - appreciate the quality of model review performed by various contributors to this site. Advertising of this quality is expensive!

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
What do you mean by D&E ???

My preference at this stage is New Railway modeller as thats what I am new to the game. Lots of new ideas, different ways of looking at a problem and not so interested in prototypical running or operations. Even I manage to give advice the odd time.

I think this forum by far, does the best reviews and I have purchased at least 4 loco's based on what has being posted on here. Agree on the DCC comments actually extremely in depth and very very technical. Best forum layout on here.

RM Web... high speed, blink and its gone, in my opinion lots of very prototypical modelers who know there stuff.. Good classifieds on there,have made purchases on there. Very diesel orientated. So much info, sometimes hard to find what you want in the search engines.

With that said, its the people that make them and and 99.9% have the best intentions at heart and we do look out for each other.

m

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE What do you mean by D&E ???

....Very diesel orientated
You've answered the "D" part of the question, so you can guess the "E"?

David

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I find this forum less 'heavy' than others.....

I contribute, as has been noted...and can frequently get facetious..which is an 'age' thing.

I also lurk, and occasionally post, on the S scale forum....and very occasionaly on the US-based Model Trains site...

MRE I read religiously...and sometimes, pen an email.

also, I lurk on Mod mod........in that respect I am a bit parasitic, as I suck in information, but have little to contribute compared to those 'experts?'

I have, however, no problem airing my two-penn'orth.....but all this lurking DOES keep me from my work table.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I tend to contribute mainly on this one but also either lurk or contribute in a small way to;

The ESU ECoS forum,
The Railways of Germany forum,
RMWeb
ModelRailroader forum

and If I get really desperate MREmag.

Probably in that order.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm in the Xtkcad forum, Kato Unitrack, Atlas 1st Generation, Digitrax, N Scale Parts Exchange. Hornby forum, New Railway modellers and maybe others that I forgot I joined. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I enjoy this forum, and rarely go to other forums, i dont post as much as others, only when i have something to say or need help with an issue, i pop in most days to see whats been going and allways seem to pick up another morsel of information, well done MRF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts