Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like my forum post I don't want to be controversial but look at the mags as I see them. There are some I know nothing about so obviously won't say anything.

My club earlier in the year came to me and asked which UK mag I'd recommend for the library on subscription. A tough one as all have strengths and weaknesses in my opinion:

The Railway Modeller is still I believe the leader albeit smaller than previously. I haven't read it for years as in my opinion they could be named "Narrow and Rare Gauge Monthly". And no one should ever buy a mag just for the adverts should they? Their reviews are probably a bit too gentlemanly.

BRM is ok I suppose. The ones I've read have never really excited me. Their sister mag MRM has folded I believe; perhaps they should have made it an insert of BRM and then it would have had some serious juice!

The Hornby mag wasn't available at the time but if it was it would got the nod. Many in our club are relaxed modellers and it would have suited them to a 'T'. Or should that be 'H'? I really must take out a sub myself next year!

So I plumped for Model Rail. Not because I think it's any better. I don't. In fact it irritates me as they think everyone is a scale modeller or wants to be one. The only reason I opted for it was they do an international insert every three months so the small number of Continental modellers at the club would be included in the magazine selection. (Remember that my Euro friends!). But if they ever get greedy and make it a separate mag...

I am a firm believer in the more the merrier so I hope all the mags I've mentioned and others continue to prosper!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
There's little doubt that the arrival of the 'Hornby' mag has already had an effect on the other British magazines. I have been subscribing to 'RM' for several years following a return to railway modelling. Its coverage is broad and covers the larger garden railway stuff as well, which I had looked at briefly. I agree with you that its reviews are rather unsharp - but for me that may be prefereable to an excess of rivet-counting.
I've also started subscribing to the Hornby magazine - again a very good balance of articles I feel.
I buy copies of the others as my fancy takes me - usually because there are article(s) which appear to be of interest.
I therefore don't have strong opinions on their approach to the modelling scene, but neither quite suit me as regular buys.
Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
The Hornby mag is the first UK outline one that I have taken out a subscription to. Mainly because it's not readily available here in the shops. I have to say it's the only one that I actually read. It dawned on me about a year ago that while I buy RM religously I tend to flick through it and look at the layouts and little else. The only articles I read tend to be ones on Scottish stations. As said it is too big on minority interest and the reviews don't tell you very much.

The other ones I never really got into other than Model Railroader which I get occaissionaly as they have some good articles.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hornby mag is a good read. I seem to spend more time browsing the Hornby Mag than any other one at the moment. That said, I think Railway Modeller is making an attempt to come into the 21st Century. Some of the photography in the November edition was superb. A good selection of layouts each month- but far too much NG for my liking.

Model Rail, started well but has become a bit lightweight recently. I even find the print annoying as it tends to come off in my fingers. Not enough layouts . Occasional series, like that on LNER coaches, that can send you to sleep. Editorial far too preachy- should be discontinued. Who cares what the editor thinks. Does his view have more weight than any of ours?

BRM I think tends to have more quality items but is a little too highbrow for me. The annual is excellent value. With some good articles and lots of reading.

So overall the winner is Hornby Magazine.

Russell

·
Registered
763 Posts
rb277170
QUOTE [ RM]A good selection of layouts each month- but far too much NG for my liking.

ozwarrior
QUOTE I haven't read it for years as in my opinion they could be named "Narrow and Rare Gauge Monthly"

I've just checked the November and December issues of RM. Grand total of one narrow gauge article (metre gauge electric tramway in 7mm) and one garden railway article, plus a single EM layout. There's also an article on Belfast Great Victoria St , which might not be modelled in 16.5mm gauge. Otherwise its normal OO , O and N. Perhaps my tastes are a little more catholic than most, but this hardly seems excessive - the claim "RM is all narrow gauge" seems to be one of those stereotypes trotted out at regular intervals , and frequently doesn't seem related to the actual content of the magazine

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE rb277170

[ RM]A good selection of layouts each month- but far too much NG for my liking.

QUOTE I've just checked the November and December issues of RM. Grand total of one narrow gauge article (metre gauge electric tramway in 7mm) and one garden railway article, plus a single EM layout. There's also an article on Belfast Great Victoria St , which might not be modelled in 16.5mm gauge. Otherwise its normal OO , O and N. Perhaps my tastes are a little more catholic than most, but this hardly seems excessive - the claim "RM is all narrow gauge" seems to be one of those stereotypes trotted out at regular intervals , and frequently doesn't seem related to the actual content of the magazine

As I've said , it has improved. But I'm sure you will agree on average it has much more NG than others

Russell

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with the premise that narrow gauge modelling (or EM and P4 for that matter) is inherently undesirable, to be honest

·
Registered
37 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 9 Dec 2007, 16:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wish there was a magazine for second hand items bought on Ebay.
A good idea, but it would be a hard subject to cover, you would always have to look backwards. If you looked forward you might be accused of profiteering!! Also, it would be hard to rate a product as the only insight is the seller page, i.e. you would never see the actual article, unless you bought it.

Also it would have to be a e-mag, if it was print how woudl you price it? Cover price starting at a pound and 5000 copies available!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
For my tuppence I am an avid fan of Model Rail, it strikes the right balance between new ideas (by that I mean types of modeling I haven't tried such as Garden railways, different scales or different eras/countries.) and further ideas of my own interest.

I'm an 'OO' modeller and since I subscribed in 2003 every issue has given me a new idea or scheme to add to my layout. I now have to go back through them edit them down, at present rate I won't be finished until 2040.

I also like the editorials and the way the staff incorportate their own stories into the articles, to me this gives the mag a feeling of a 'virtual' club where you can find other peoples views, but as with all life you can take them with a pinch of salt and don't always agree.

As for the comments on MR reviews, I think they are perfectly what I'm looking for. They highlight any problems with the model while highlighting what makes them different from other models.

Again, I take these with a pinch of salt as even if its described as an all singing all dancing model with all the bells and whistles, I still don't commit to buying a model until I trundle down to my local shop and see it for myself.

For the record, I have no association with Model Rail, other than being a big fan!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
"A good idea, but it would be a hard subject to cover, you would always have to look backwards. If you looked forward you might be accused of profiteering!! Also, it would be hard to rate a product as the only insight is the seller page, i.e. you would never see the actual article, unless you bought it."

I was thinking more about maintenance/service issues. i.e. Are spare parts available, how does the body come off? Is it a simple clip fit or do you have to undo some screws? Is it possible to fit a decoder, can I fit better wheelsets etc. Take my ancient Piko n scale stock. It is possible to buy new wheels with modern flange sizes, but are any other parts available?
All the magazines seem to cover is new stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.