Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hornby mag is a good read. I seem to spend more time browsing the Hornby Mag than any other one at the moment. That said, I think Railway Modeller is making an attempt to come into the 21st Century. Some of the photography in the November edition was superb. A good selection of layouts each month- but far too much NG for my liking.

Model Rail, started well but has become a bit lightweight recently. I even find the print annoying as it tends to come off in my fingers. Not enough layouts . Occasional series, like that on LNER coaches, that can send you to sleep. Editorial far too preachy- should be discontinued. Who cares what the editor thinks. Does his view have more weight than any of ours?

BRM I think tends to have more quality items but is a little too highbrow for me. The annual is excellent value. With some good articles and lots of reading.

So overall the winner is Hornby Magazine.

Russell

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE rb277170

[ RM]A good selection of layouts each month- but far too much NG for my liking.

QUOTE I've just checked the November and December issues of RM. Grand total of one narrow gauge article (metre gauge electric tramway in 7mm) and one garden railway article, plus a single EM layout. There's also an article on Belfast Great Victoria St , which might not be modelled in 16.5mm gauge. Otherwise its normal OO , O and N. Perhaps my tastes are a little more catholic than most, but this hardly seems excessive - the claim "RM is all narrow gauge" seems to be one of those stereotypes trotted out at regular intervals , and frequently doesn't seem related to the actual content of the magazine

As I've said , it has improved. But I'm sure you will agree on average it has much more NG than others

Russell

1 - 2 of 2 Posts