Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how large the UK N market is. It must have taken a big hit with the hiatus between Graham-Farish and Bachmann-Farish. I have a suspicion the lack of competition at the time would have been a factor. So it is essential in my opinion that Dapol and Peco increase their involvement in the scale.

Farish always will I suppose be the market leader so hopefully the programme of improvements goes on and accelerates. Speed of development seems the biggest problem shared with its 00 sister. That gives the others a bit of a leg-up if both have designs on the same model.

Dapol judging by their 2008 catalogue are developing apace so let's hope they continue to prosper and provide meaningful competition. I wonder what their alliance with Ixion will bring?

Peco's new Collett has been well received if a little pricey so hopefully it won't be their last. Their wagon range is reasonable too. They aren't as backward as some people imagine!

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 8 Dec 2007, 22:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Peco's new Collett has been well received if a little pricey so hopefully it won't be their last.

They're on record as saying they certainly won't be producing another RTR N gauge loco quickly - apparently the develoment of the Collet has taken it toll on them in terms of resorces, time and finance. I think their will and enthusiasm for such projects has been more than a little dented.

G.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
I think Dapol have an excellent customer-focused attitude. The way they share the design progress on their website and actually encourage people to make suggestions/improvements is great. It is a tired old cliche but I really think they are a 'breath of fresh air' in N gauge modelling and it will force the others to wake up and realise this is the 21st century so they'd better buck up their ideas and stop re-releasing old rubbish at crazy prices.

I think the future is bright, especially if Peco get off their laurels and expand their code 55 range! (You don't just get concrete sleepers on open mainline you know!!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi have you seen the n gauge models of the leader class and the class16/1 no 10203 that were running at robertsbridge on 9th may - great models,

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE They're on record as saying they certainly won't be producing another RTR N gauge loco quickly - apparently the develoment of the Collet has taken it toll on them in terms of resorces, time and finance. I think their will and enthusiasm for such projects has been more than a little dented.

G.

Maybe PECO should have chosen a loco which had greater mass appeal, would have cost less to tool and could be sold cheaper and achieved more volume.
£129, or whatever it goes for, is way over the odds compared to any other manufacturer with the possible exception of Fleishman, for a loco which I suspect is not on that many enthusiasts shopping list.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (midlandred @ 29 May 2009, 20:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>£129, or whatever it goes for, is way over the odds compared to any other manufacturer with the possible exception of Fleishman, for a loco which I suspect is not on that many enthusiasts shopping list.

Given that the Collet is already DCC chipped I don't think that is at all OTT when you think that the Ixion Manor comes in at £102 excluding DCC chip and Graham Farish tender locos vary between £75 and £130 again without chip. Certainly the quality and diversity of N Gauge locos and rolling stock has improved immeasurably over the last 5 years and I for one will always be willing to pay that bit more for a quality model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts