Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!
I need some advice on what to do!
I've seen a 3.5" rob roy and a 3.5" gauge titch both in good working order (i am told) and both have a brand new boiler certificate, both, at just over £1000 each. I am thinking of purchasing one as i have wanted to sart in larger scale live steam for a few years now but have just needed the right oco and funds! I have no experience with larger scale loco's and have been meaning to join my local club where they have multi gauge track where i can run my potential loco.
I'm really just asking which loco is more newbie user friendly and really, am i getting way over my head here by jumpng before i look as i have no experience in this type of field.
One final point, the loco's are from reputable dealers so i dont think there will be any "hidden" problems that they are concealing.

Any and all advice welcome!

Thanks for reading.

Daniel

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I'd suggest you join your club asap and find someone (but not the club know-all) to mentor you and offer advice. 3.5" scale is a major leap if you haven't fired and driven a coal-fired live steamer before....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i intend to join really soon!
I own Hornby's live steam set and the accucraft ruby (i knw its different!) but i do have some knowledge on live steam. I know the theory on how to driv a steam loco but have never done one first hand.
I feel like im rushing into it but i dont want to let this oppertunity of a good loco to pass me by!

Dan

p.s. thanks for the replys so far!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with 60134 - join your local club ASAP - ask the Chairman or Secretary (or both) who they would suggest could give you advice, hopefully that way you'll be steered clear of the club know-all!

'Tich' was specifically designed by 'LBSC' for beginners both in terms of making and assembling and in operating. 'Rob Roy' is, I recall, a larger loco and may need more attention, although it is also an 'LBSC' design.

I spent a week while on holiday in Swanage around 1963 (and in my mid-teens) driving a 7.25 gauge loco on a temporary track - great fun!

Hope you enjoy yourself,
regards,
John Webb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts