Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone at the forum
i'm a relative newcomer to railway modelling, but have a question I hope someone can help with. Does anyone use 3 link couplings for rolling stock, if so how practical are they in use, and where can you buy them from.
I can see that they might be fiddly to use, but I think most couplers can spoil the appearance of a model railway. GREAT FORUM BY THE WAY

CHEERS ...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
QUOTE (boilermaker @ 16 Mar 2007, 10:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi to everyone at the forum
i'm a relative newcomer to railway modelling, but have a question I hope someone can help with. Does anyone use 3 link couplings for rolling stock, if so how practical are they in use, and where can you buy them from.
I can see that they might be fiddly to use, but I think most couplers can spoil the appearance of a model railway. GREAT FORUM BY THE WAY

CHEERS ...

I use Smiths 3 link couplings. They are slightly over scale, but they are easy to assemble and I don't have any problems using them. See: http://sitenet.gppsoftware.com/mrol/Weathering4.asp
The couplings shown in these pictures are 'intsanter' type. Strictly speaking, many of these wagons should have screw couplings.

I use Romford screw couplings. These are a bit over scale too and need a bit of reworking to make them flexible.

There are several manufacturers who make good scale size couplings. Weigh this up against size and ease of use.

You can get Smiths couplings from most good model railway shops. I think Dave Cleal (Mainly Trains) does them too.

Use a pair of fine tweezers for coupling: bent wire hooks and the like make the job too hard!

Graham Plowman

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i tend to use them within fixed rakes. then on the ends of the rakes i pop a kadee. i hate the sight of the kadees on the end of a stam loco but i use them for one simple reason-they work!

Like graham i use smiths 3 links and romford screw couplings. i had problems buying the smiths stuff for a while but i think its ok now.

Peter

·
Registered
303 Posts
The situation with couplers on my layout may appear to be getting a bit chaotic.

I use three link couplings on fixed rakes of short wheelbase 4 wheelers, because if you have any tight curves, say less than about 30" (750mm) radius and you propel the rake in a shunting move, long wheelbase vehicles will tend to lock buffers with short wheelbase ones. For uncoupling I use a penlight with a thin steel wire hook, the stem of which is reinforced with a piece of fine copper tube taped onto the body of the pen light.

Using Kadees on the end vehicles of rakes is a good idea as it allows you to change locos in hands free mode. There are a couple of reception loops in front of my station and through goods trains often draw up there to change locos. Because a goods yard or marshalling yard for a mainline station would take up far too much room I don't have one, and so I rarely shunt goods stock. The three link couplings have stayed coupled up in my fixed rakes of wagons for literally years. My hand built goods locos have three link couplings as well because these look best. If I want to run a proprietry loco which has Kadees or tension lock couplings, I use match trucks.

The carriage rakes have Kadees at the ends to facilitate hands free operation and I can change locos at the main up platform (York 8S) using a Kadee electromagnetic uncoupler. The non-passenger carriage stock has Kadees and I shunt these in hands free mode at the back of the layout (Queens Street Sidings), using magnetic uncouplers. I also have two rakes of loco coal wagons (one full, one empty) with Kadees at the ends that are shunted up and down the ramp of the coaling stage and exchanged, by a tank engine, all in hands free mode. (Yes, I know that there was no ramp and no coaling stage at York, but I have created a mythical York(South) shed based on the old Loco Works No1 erecting shop).

Colombo

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
does anyone still use the Peco-Simplex coupler?
(as used by Hornby Dublo?)

this I always found to be less obtrusive than then-current hook 'n bar types.

stock could be lifted out vertically........

·
Registered
303 Posts
Alastair,

The Kadee coupler is a bit like the old Hornby Dublo type, but it is also a vast improvement..........and yes you can lift vehicles straight out of a train.

Colombo

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also use the Smith's type too, and I've noticed recently that Parkside have started selling the couplings ready blackened which helps no end.

You get use to them with practise!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 16 Mar 2007, 17:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>stock could be lifted out vertically........

That's one of the reasons I use the Fleischmann Profi Coupler (& the fact it works & does not look too bad). One of the others is that it makes it a lot easier to disentagle things when they go wrong under catenary.

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Quick question on topic. How do you go about changing them out on RTR Hornby and Bachmann stock? I have about 12 pieces of rolling stock and probably about the same number of steam locos (isn't that always the way?!) and would love to get rid of the tension locks but don't know what to do next.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 21 Mar 2007, 02:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Quick question on topic. How do you go about changing them out on RTR Hornby and Bachmann stock? I have about 12 pieces of rolling stock and probably about the same number of steam locos (isn't that always the way?!) and would love to get rid of the tension locks but don't know what to do next.

If you have NEM pockets it's easy to change couplings to almost any type you want (although I understand that some Bachmann stock has mounting height issues). Kaydee's are very popular & they do look neat when fitted.

A little more diffecult if you do not have NEM pockets. Roco do some neat conversions to provide NEM pockets & close couplings. They do require some modelling skills to fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the information ... very interesting and helpfull . Think i'm gonna try
the Smiths 3 Links and see how I get on.

Only making a small layout, so I will be up close to everything and want it to look right .

Good link by the way Graham. I liked the weathering articles .. should be very usefull .

Cheers

SIMON

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hope you don't mind me chiming in, I'm new to this forum.
For dummy screw couplings you can do no better than Wheeltappers etched, type A or B.Originally designed for coaching stock, they look great on locos and freight stock and you get some useful spares on the fret, small hooks etc. and you can tow from them without them falling apart, I use Smiths for 3 link and instanters. These are all available from Dave Cleal
Ste.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello Nat. welcome to the forum.

You can either get them directly from Markits or from a smaller retailer like mainly trains or 247 developements.

the markits website is rubish so just give them a ring on monday. their contact details can be found here.
http://www.markits.com/general_contact/contact_us/

Peter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts