Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Just found an old Graham Farish 2 rail 060 Tank engine, and, want to convert it to 3 rail operation.

I have lots of Romford wheels, so, can easily convert them from isulated to none insulated. Was wondering about the centre rail pickup. As, I don't have any Hornby Dublo engines yet, and, my memory IS what it used to be(very short) I can't for the life of me remember whether the centre pickups on the Dublo stuff come off as a unit, and, if so, if these are obtainable at reasonable cost(cheap).

Also have a Wills Fine cast built up of the same or very similar engine that I will probably convert too.

Thanks for any help.

·
In depth idiot
7,728 Posts
You don't really need to do anything with the wheels. Never had a Farish OO loco, but it is likely to have uninsulated one side, wipers on insulated wheels the other side, feeding an insulated motor brush. Just take the wire off the insulated brush, and connect to the chassis. The feed to the insulated brush will come from the centre pick up skate that you need to add. I would get me to a model shop stocking 3 rail s/h if that is practical, or go for the small ads in RM or BRM for mail order stockists for a supply of centre rail pick up components.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 21 Jun 2007, 08:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You don't really need to do anything with the wheels. Never had a Farish OO loco, but it is likely to have uninsulated one side, wipers on insulated wheels the other side, feeding an insulated motor brush. Just take the wire off the insulated brush, and connect to the chassis. The feed to the insulated brush will come from the centre pick up skate that you need to add. I would get me to a model shop stocking 3 rail s/h if that is practical, or go for the small ads in RM or BRM for mail order stockists for a supply of centre rail pick up components.

Good advice from 34c - just to add that in the absense of HD pick up skates your could use a Marklin one or one from either Fleischmann or Roco as they use them on stock suitable for use with the Marklin system.

If you have no luck locally send me a PM & we will be able to obtain one or more for you (may even have one or two lying around).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I understand about the wheel thing, but, it already has Romford wheels on it, and, I have lots of them around, so, it is a simple matter of just unscrewing the insulated ones, and screwing on the none insulated ones. Saves having to mess about with the wipers.

No 3 rail stockists in my area. I'm near Toronto in Canada.

Do the Horndy sliders come off as a unit??? Just can't seem to remember back that far. I haven't had one since about 1965.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts