Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How should you wire up a 3 Way Point (motors) and DCC control module can you link them or would you just use two units of the accesory module?
I dont know can any one help?

Pete

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
That's an interesting question. I have an asymmetric 3 way point, so if the point is set to the first turnoff, it doesn't matter what the second one is set to.

Going back to first principles, a 3 way point has three possible exits, so whatever selection mechanism you put at the front end, it has to offer 3 possibilities. These 3 possibilities are provided by a control mechanism with 4 possible combinations. Even though one of these combinations is redundant, you still need its active partner, so you have to provide 4 control signals.

On a traditional control panel you would probably use a 3 way switch and use a diode matrix to activate the appropriate motor coils for each of the three options.

On DCC, I suspect that at the sharp end, 4 control signals have to be supplied. The equivalent of the diode matrix would be some route setting software in the cab. Some advanced cabs may even have anticipated 3 way turnouts and come with it already built in. I think the ECoS might provide this option.

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used this diode matrix to run a Peco 3 way turnout with Peco motors.

http://www.hmrg.co.uk/techtops/3way.htm

The L, C and R were driven by two decoder addresses on a Lenz LS150.

L = Address 1 +
C = Address 1 -
R = Address 2 +

Address 2 - is not used.

I am testing the same turnout with Tortoise motors; needs arevised diode matrix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts