Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
If you need 36 new A4 locos. You can get them here in one go with a starting price of 3.750,00 GBP.

It works out to £104 per loco. You now understand why he puts in the information about appreciation. You can also see through his history how much he paid for some of them. Lets see if they sell.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
That is a very interesting collection. Worth adding to your watchlist to see what happens.

Based on prices I have seen recently at Vectis for fine examples of A4's the price is not unreasonable and I guess the seller has done his research.

That is a one off sale likely never to be repeated however it is also likely that A4 enthusiasts are similarly well endowed so I wonder who an eventual buyer may be?

If you are going to sell quality pre-owned items on Ebay right now you need to put a reserve on as things are a bit slow.

There is a significant saving on fees and admin doing it the way he has done it.

I personally believe that themed collections are better to be split and sold seperately. If a single buyer wants every item then they will have to bid and win every item. Make a point however that it is a themed collection that is being split so that interested parties understand what is required to put it all back together again as a collection. I sold off 7 etched brass Clerestory coach kits a few weeks ago. They would have made a superb rake and I sold one off each night for 7 consecutive nights. A single buyer bought the lot.

That same rule rule does not apply to general train sets and accessories that have been stored unboxed in the loft for 30 years. Basically its junk and should be donated to a charity shop. For some reason folk get excited when clearing out the family loft of the house they have inherited. If it looks old and dusty it must be worth a fortune. Blame Bargain Hunt and such like for the flashing £££££ signs before the eyes. More often than not it will be a dissapointment. You only hear the good stories.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I personally believe that themed collections are better to be split and sold seperately. If a single buyer wants every item then they will have to bid and win every item.

A collection is a very personalized thing and often only has any value to the person who put the collection together. There are obviously exceptions to this but as a generalization, selling collections is a way of offloading stuff which nobody wants with a few items which people actually do.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I go back and forth on this. Based on how I bid I would sell individually. When I see a collection I only bid on what I want. The rest I ignore completely and give it no value whatsoever, so why give it away for free?

If you place a reserve tell people what it is. Some people think that it scares people away and they don't do any reserves. The chance that they will lose out they accept as part of the business. I placed a reserve on a lens I had but told people what it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts