Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you all know by now, despite my many years on the railway, having reached retirement age I am now embarking a new career in the model railway world. So tell me compared with 00gauge, how different is 3mm ? The only other two gauges I know are 0 and N.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Apart from being more of a 'scratch and kitbuilders' scale.....and having one of the best supporting organisations of any scale........the main difference is in the 'bulk' of each item.

TT..or 3mm scale, is to my mindthe best of all worlds, for a railway.

N gauge..or 2 mm scale, is just too much like watchmeker's stuff for my liking.....and for an older person, requires considerable eyesight correction.

OO [4mm] or even HO [3.5mmscale] are popular, and VERY well supported by the trade, especailly with ready-to-run stuff.....however....if one is strapped for space...or finds the idea of self- making of stuff, rather than chequebook, buying off-the-shelf trains....the 3 mm scale is ideal.....not so tiny that one's eyesight is strained....yet needs considerably less space than OO or HO stuff...

so to my mind, 3mm scale [or TT] combines the space requirements of N gauge, with the size and detail advantages of OO.

and I am looking at an old Tri-ang TT suburban brake coach as I speak..all I have left off my youthfull TT empire.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 6 May 2008, 00:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so to my mind, 3mm scale [or TT] combines the space requirements of N gauge, with the size and detail advantages of OO.
I's agree with that - certainly has the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Totally agree.

Also the old GEM kits that have been re-released buy 3MSR look so fresh they could have been released yesterday. they have done such a good job. I am planning a scenic diorama which may well have some free space along the top.

One thing i would suggest though is there is a bit of a minefeild of standards. off the top of my head i think its 11mm or 14.2mm gauge. I recall there are difficulties getting motors to fit the smaller gauge.

Peter

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 6 May 2008, 09:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Totally agree.

One thing i would suggest though is there is a bit of a minefeild of standards. off the top of my head i think its 11mm or 14.2mm gauge. I recall there are difficulties getting motors to fit the smaller gauge.

Peter

Yes I wish it was more easily available, but as it isn't i've gone for OO9 instead! Its finding chassis thats the main problem as I don't feel competent buuilding them in OO let alone anything smaller! I thought it was 12mm gauge as produced currently by Peco, although mainly for the continental market, where it is still made?

David Y

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
12mm is the gauge used by Tri-ang for their TT range....which basically did me for model railways as a youngster....apart from my small foray into OOn3......and a dabble in OO.

The multiplicity of gauges...and indeed, scales, is confusing.

UK, European and US makers used 3 or 4 different scale ratios....I'm not sure which is what without searching, but I believe the likes of Zeuke, Berlinerbahn [is that right?],etc used 1:120 scale...and the 3mm society used another ratio...Tri-ang used yet another, and so on.

[does ANYONE remember the Zeuke narrow gauge RTR models?
they had a smashing 0-8-0 tank loco.....H0 on TT track?]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello everyone, thanks for the info, very interesting, I have found that there are so many scales I do tend to get confused, if it is not 00 or Ho or O I honestly cannot fathom them out, but I am learning from you good lot on here. Thanks again.

"Oh" yes and N, I know about N gauge too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Basically , with 3mm , you'll be building your own chassis. There are a few continental RTR motorbogies around for 12mm gauge but that's it.

Its probably the best supported non-commercial scale for British outline , and reasonably suitable 12mm gauge trackwork is available in the form of the Peco HOm 12mm gauge range. However 12mm gauge is even more under scale in 3mm than 16.5mm is in 4mm. Hence the finescale 14.2mm gauge.

TT is really a different animal and strictly Continental - 2.5mm/ft (1:120) and a fully commercial scale/gauge at least for German/Central European outline, although of course the range of models is much smaller than HO or N. Could be worth a look if you fancy something a bit different

Basically 3mm /ft = British outline

TT =1:120 ., Continental [ In the Communist bloc , they never developed N, so the only gauge smaller than HO was TT , and the main TT manufacturer , Tillig, is the revamped E.German brand of Berliner Bahn. ]

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
now I'M confused.....

one still finds much Tri-ang TT bits cheap on ebay....

do Peco still do their Indivdulay track for 12mm gauge?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes, Piko of the DDR did indeed make N Scale from the 60's to the 80's. I have quite a few of their products.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts