Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a cheapish 4-6-2 as I am a new modeller and I don't want to splash out too much. I was looking for one which has those steam fender things at the front. Looking in the price region of £40-£70?
Cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by "one of those steam fender things". I am guessing you mean smoke deflectors. Try a local model shop or ehattons.com. Alternatively ebay. I have bought a large number of locos on ebay and have had good experiences. You would be looking for LMS Princess Coronation or Duchess Class, a Southern Merchant Navy, Battle of Britain or West Country class, A BR Britannia Class, an LNER A3 Pacific some of which had smoke deflectors, all of which are made by Hornby. Bachmann have the A1 pacific.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like Noggins Friend I'm not sure what you mean by a 'steam fender thing'.

For the price you quote I'd suggest the 'Hornby Railroad' range. The 4-6-2s [known as pacifics] they do are an A1/A3 'Flying Scotsman' [@ £55gbp] or an A4, {the locomotive with the streamline casing} [Mallard @£77gbp & Falcon @ £66gbp]. These prices are Hornby's recommended prices so Hattons or similar will probably have them cheaper.

If your 'steam fender things' are smoke deflectors neither of these have them though.

Jerry

·
Administrator
9,856 Posts
Sometimes you can come across real bargains where retailers are splitting boxed sets. I got a Hornby current spec A3 - St Gatien for £45 at an exhibition.

David

·
Registered
76 Posts
ICharlie

Take a look at Traintraders.com, second hand stuff but they are a good crowd to deal with & pricing isn't unreasonable. They have got a couple of Merchant Navy pacifics on their web site at the moment, both under your £70 maximum & fitted with smoke deflectors so I think they may appeal to you. I'd suggest you stick to later Hornby and Bachmann models & avoid the Mainline & Airfix branded stuff (bad runners generally speaking, downright awful by modern standards).

Cheers
Paul M

·
In depth idiot
7,729 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 10 Feb 2009, 18:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sometimes you can come across real bargains where retailers are splitting boxed sets. I got a Hornby current spec A3 - St Gatien for £45 at an exhibition.
iCharlie,

If you can be patient, the big retailers tend to split boxed sets during spring and summer when business is slower. Last year there were unboxed Hornby A3's, Britannias and rebuilt Merchant Navy locos available in the £45 - £50 price range. You just have to keep watching and waiting, and then 'jump' when there is a good offer as they do tend to sell fast. I would suggest that anything below £55 for one of these types (or a Duchess or rebuilt WC/BB) is worth jumping at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts