Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make a layout approx. 4' by 7', but don't have any ideas for that space.
I would like an oval with various sidings, any help would be appraciated!
Ben

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Ben,

It will have to be pretty simple to get 00 into that space. Have you given any thought to N Gauge. I have just posted a suggested 6 x 4 N Gauge layout on the N Gauge Forum which might be of interest.

Regards,

Expat

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
I will have a look at the layout in N gauge, but it is best for me to use OO gauge as I already have some locos and rolling stock.
Ben

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum.

You are always limited with that size as you can imagine. The main issue is the radius of the curves.

One alternative is to narrow your layout and create a yard, perhaps with a turntable on one end; a station or another point of interest like a mine or goods terminal.

You can run the locos up and down and shunt the wagons around. You could always provide for a run around track that goes around the back - that can be dismantled if space is an issue and set up when you get your layout into an area with more space.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Doug
Thanks for your alternative. I have considered doing that and so I will have a better look at it as an alternativ.
Thanks Ben

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (ben100 @ 6 Mar 2008, 13:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am trying to make a layout approx. 4' by 7', but don't have any ideas for that space.
I would like an oval with various sidings, any help would be appraciated!
Ben
You could try looking at the hornby track mat. This is intended for beginners but it does allow for two ovals and several sidings. The track mat is a 6 x4 so 7x4 would allow you alter it to your requirements. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Hornby also have a "Track Plans Book" (11th edition) Part Ref: R8127 for £5.25 - try one of the e-mail sources such as Hattons listed above.

The relatively new 'Hornby Magazine' published by Ian Allen has in it's first year come up with some interesting layouts - if you can get hold of copies to look at I would recommend doing so.

Best wishes for a sucessful design.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
I have the Hornby track plans book but am not too sure as to which layout would be best or how I could adapt. Although the Trakmat looks Ok.
Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts