Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dependant upon the date your model is based on an LED would be far too bright - oil lamps were very dull and when the spectacles got dirty they got even duller - until the lamp man gave them a wipe on his rounds.

The general proposals for powering the lamp look good though.

Some very early signals were gas lit which gives another excuse for a "wire" down the side

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE With 12v and between 12 and 15k the LED will be just fine - Several of the best Pro builders in the UK do just that, as do eveyone else I know who makes signals.

Be interested to seem some photos of those - from my observations most model signals are far too bright, whoever makes them, and as I photographed probably the best part of a thousand prototypes I have seen one or two of the real thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As John says most cables, in the "early" days would use the pole route rather than down the post for light in/out indication.

Richard, you LEDs look good but a bit white I assume your comments about masking them will be applied.

QUOTE The first and main cable is there for arm proving - On/Off repeater back to the controlling signal box and used further in the interlocking

Out of all the signals on the railway VERY few (comparatively) were repeated in the boxes, most "interlocking" - actually releases - was done by the lever position, so HNC (home normal clearance) was proved through the lever, the arm could actually be stuck off - it was down to the bobby to observe the actual signal before pegging up, hence the back blinder which obscured the lamp when the arm moved.

Distant signals were the most common to have the arm repeated and the block release tied into it showing danger/normal - and as stated elsewhere most layouts don't have the room for an isolated distant, it would need to be approx 40' in front of the home, combined home + distant signals often only repeated the distant slot not the arm so again the slot could be normal but the arm stuck off and hence no wire up the post.

Which part of the LMS are you modelling L.F ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 14 May 2008, 16:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>While I think about it...

at the time of the grouping there was a really unusual signal at one end of Ribblehead - two arms on the same post but most unusually, one facing in each firection on opposite sides of the post. I presume it was done that way by the Midland because of sighting needs but it was a rare and very non standard sort of arrangement. The LMS replaced it not all that long after but I'd like to model it as it still was in 1928.

I'm sure it survived well into BR days

QUOTE Does anyone have any good images of that signal? The only ones I can find so far are very much in the distance and not good enough to calculate height and detail well enough to satisfy me.

I've seen a close up of it in a book but can't for the life of me remember which one - might be the Anderson/Fox one below.

QUOTE (For that matter I'd be grateful for any added detail or signalling diagrammes for Ribblehead stn, Blea Moor, Settle and Stainforth boxes as I'd like to recreate the original signalling + original box diagrammes on the computer screen I'll be using for each of those places on the layout - the layout will in fact be touch screen controlled from those diagrammes)

Have you tried the Fox/Anderson book Stations and Structures of the S&C ?

Blea Moor is an LMS box so potentially you could be looking at the old Midland structure - again I've seen photos but can't remember where.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts