Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just in the process of building my first ever MSE semaphore signal kit and will be electrifying the lamp via an LED to make it operate.

As such I appear to have a couple of options concerning the wiring.

I was originally planning on hiding one wire down the middle of the tubular post which is easy to do and making the rest of the signal live and that would be the + and - I would need to power the LED. If using a lightly filed shaped and painted 1.8mm mini or panel dot type from DCC Concepts I was planning on using one of the legs to form the lamp bracket and solder it directly to the post meaning just one wire needed to be run through the tube.

No real problems there except the drilling of the hole in the side of the tube to accept the wire but all quite achievable really.

I was wondering though, when I make my white metal cast "timber post" signals then this is not really an option and the wire would need to be run down the outside of the signal post.

Then I actually saw signal posts that did have a cable in real life running up the post, probably to power the lamp in later days 1930s on perhaps? and as such I am wondering if it would be more prototypical to actually run the cable neatly up the post and secure with a dot of superglue (CA) here and there. If so should I paint the cable all one colour, use the colour insulation to match prototypical cable colours, assume a conduit was used to run the cable, or what??

By the way I am using the nice single strand 30swg or 0.25mm diameter wire with insulation making it 0.5mm in total or a scale size of 1.5" in diameter, not a totally ludicrous size if it was considered to be a scale conduit however I could strip all the insulation off it and use it bare, against a well painted post for insulation purposes, painted black or appropriate weathered colours, giving a scale size of 19mm - all very realistic I would have thought for a conduit diameter.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas please.

·
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input. I see that using the wire would be fine and prototypical then running up the side of the post so will give it a go and see what it looks like. I was planning on using a trimpot for the adjustment of the LED brightness actually and leaving it in place as I don't think they are very expensive but obviously more so that a fixed value resistor.

I was also thinking about whether any light is emitted out of the back of the LED. From memory I dont think there is any but was going to file a small dot so that the back blinder would work in the sense that when on the little light at the back of the lamp would show.

·
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (beast66606 @ 14 May 2008, 17:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which part of the LMS are you modelling L.F ?

Very loosely based on Matlock Bath and Matlock area simply that my house here in Perth is Namsed Hightor and I saw that was near Matlock and part of the old MR area. Yes, before going further it is likely that these would have been all timber posted lower quadrant thingamebobs but there you go

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to interupt your thread here Richard however I had great success last night in filing down the 1.8mm LED on the lens and on the top of it then I cut of the top of the MES Adlake lamp casting and CA glued it ontop of the LED and let that go off. I then soldered the bracket to the signal and used the lower leg of the LED (can't remember if it was the cathode or anode) to solder the LED to the bracket providing a solid mechanical and electrical connection. Then soldered some of your very fine wire (name escapes me but it came with the 0.8mm LEDs) to the upper leg and trimmed the leg off as close as I could.

Hooked it up to 5 volts with the supplied resistor and it was all working very well indeed first go thank you very much!

I will secure the wire down the side of the post I think, probably the left hand side or the rear I would imagine. I have photos but don't know how to post them on this forum. I will have them up on other forums shortly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts