Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I note that mention has been made that the Bachmann 4MT does not suit Kadees very well.

I need to add Kadees to mine.

Has anyone a solution, especially for the rear coupling as this is far too high?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
We are talking std 4mt tank
The main problem is the height of coupling under the coal storage. For determining the height I used the kadee gauge, measure the difference with a vernier and then use this to produce the correct height.
I screwed a no 19 to the outside of the NEM box which if I recall is too high for the Kadee height gauge. I have a selection of small self tapping screws, in this instance I used a brass C/S wood screw. I have many thousands of self tappers in stock for fitting kadee's so if you want to buy and I know there difficult to obtain Mainly Trains are selling their 1/8" self tapers for £1.10 / 20 and £2.95 P&P I'll do 200 for £5.50 P&P @ £2.95 if anyone wants to order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"We are talking std 4mt tank" Yes

Has anyone any idea on how to get a magnet on the front bogie. If I put it underneath it reactes with a kadee uncoupling magnet to throw the bogie sideways. If I try to mount it on top of the bogie it fouls the frame.

Magnet is 12 x 6 x 3mm

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Here you go then,
the Kadee which I think must be a no 20 is drilled through the shank and lightly C/Sunk it's held in place by a miniature brass C/R screw. If you look carefully at the photo you will see the coupler is mounted to the bottom of the NEM pocket. "someone owes me a beer"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry

I should have said I want to fix a magnet, to trip a reed switch, on the front bogie.

I have got the Kadees now fixed to the front and rear.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (athegn @ 19 Feb 2007, 17:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry

I should have said I want to fix a magnet, to trip a reed switch, on the front bogie.

I have got the Kadees now fixed to the front and rear.

Gaugemaster do some nice small magnets - we use them (for the same reason) & fix them with a touch of superglue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 19 Feb 2007, 14:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here you go then,
the Kadee which I think must be a no 20 is drilled through the shank and lightly C/Sunk it's held in place by a miniature brass C/R screw.

Similarly fitted a Kadee but used superglue with an activator for hard plastic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts