Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Don't know about UK outline models but a couple of years ago we tried one of the Piko "Hobby" locos & ran it 24/7. It was pulling 10 coaches on a test layout with a 1 : 50 gradiant, 1 225deg radius 2 followed by a 45deg reverse radius 2 plus assorted other curves & bends, not an easy test. Running at about half speed it ran for just over 3 weeks before the motor brushes gave out. We estimate that it had travelled for almost 300 actual miles.
Good for a loco that retails for around £40 - it's been remotored & runs as good as new.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 26 Nov 2007, 02:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Re 3 and 5 pole - there is no "3 or 5 pole reason" for longer or shorter life - its down to the circumstances its run under and the quality of the materials.

I would agree there - a good 3-pole is probably better than a poor five pole.

We run a few Flesichmann locos with the 3-pole motor & fitted with ESU decoders on St.Laurent - they run very, very well & people are surprised to learn that they are indeed 3-pole. As an aside a couple of them are well over 30 years old !

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 26 Nov 2007, 14:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the re-chargeable batteries in their handyman range were actually rated for only ten hours of use before failure - I was initally taken aback until he made the point that that is a heck of a LOT of drilling and screwing - far more than the average home handyman does in a lifetime, and the option was a far higher priced drill (unlikely to sell well) if the batteries had to be more robust.
Richard
DCCconcepts

Was that 10 hours or 10 cycles (probably about the same anyway) - could be the reason why the £9.99 18v drill's I bought for the workshop have now expired & the deWalt ones go for ever !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.