Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,957 Posts
The relatively slow running of Hornby's 72xx (and 52xx) compared to other models was consistently reported when these models were released. Well scaled for a small wheeled heavy freight loco which would spend most of its time in the 15 to 30mph speed range when running.

·
In depth idiot
7,957 Posts
I was so pleasantly surprised when my first purchases from Bachmann's new 'Blue Riband' line, in the form of a couple of WD 2-8-0s, proved to have a 40:1 reduction. What had previously been the province of self builds for smooth running from dead slow, now available off the shelf in OO.

Becoming spoiled for choice in eight coupled goods classes now, with decent national coverage for the grouping period and on to end of BR steam. It's only the Fowler 'Austin Seven' missing from the list of classes built in large numbers during that period.

·
In depth idiot
7,957 Posts
QUOTE (PAPPA.B @ 28 Feb 2021, 18:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... I am very impressed with the Heljan 47xx though i have no diesels i feel sure it could hold it's own perhaps someone might try this...
I have the similar Heljan O2 2-8-0, and between the weight and smooth drive it performs very well; it will match the smaller all wheel drive twin bogie diesels of similar all up weight for traction. (The larger twin bogie types with all up weight in the 400 - 750g range are in a completely different class, capable of hauling trainloads that are impractical on most layouts!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts