Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Just received a new loco well it's never been run but a few years old . A 28xx so not having a running layout at the moment i set up a test track on the floor not ideal i know but i needed to check it was working. So after some oil in the right places i ran it for a while forwards backwards turned it round and run it forwards and backwards again all good. While i had the track set up i decided to run a couple of loco's that i did not run last time(Christmas). One of which is a 72xx as i recalled it never went very fast in fact it must be the slowest running loco i have. I had to turn the controller quite far before it will even budge and on full power is about half as fast as the 28xx . I know this is a freight engine so will not be very fast, any way i'm wondering if the model is particularly geared that way to assimilate the prototype . To further test this i decided to put it front of some wagons thirteen war wells five Oxford and eight Hattons /Bachmann. and a GWR Toad. The Oxford versions are very light in weight where as the Hattons versions are quite weighty . Seeing as i have not had these run before i went the whole hog and loaded the three Oxford and ten of the twelve Airfix Sherman tanks i have on the wagons. As a side the Oxford Shermans have diecast hulls so are heavier than the plastic Airfix models.

The results were as :-this train made no difference to the 72xx no slipping and seemed to run not much slower than without pulling the train. The 28xx however applying to much power slipped but when applying power slowly pulled away ok though if you put full power would slip again so half power only. I also tried three other loco's 38xx , better than the 28xx , 47xx Heljan (very heavy model) pulled no problem at all excellent and a Bachmann 57xx , slipped badly to start but once going pulled ok. Has any one got any thoughts as to why this loco' is slow i have heard of complaints about this loco but not about its running. I am not bothered about the speed just curious that it should be this way .Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi .I must of missed that information but yes prototypical although slow the 72 runs very smooth . All that's missing from my collection is a 52/42xx and the GWR version of the Robinson 2-8-0 then the large freight loco's section will be complete. Thanks 34C for your reply .Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes since my return to to now the latest models do seem on the whole very good and generally smooth. I an very impressed with the Heljan 47xx though i have no diesels i feel sure it could hold it's own perhaps someone might try this. All the manufacturers are raising their game which is to the good for all. Although i have mainly GWR loco's i do have some from other companies and no doubt will be buying more in the future. I have a plan of sorts to have most GWR types in my shed for the period i am modelling in . Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi The 7f was built by the Midland for the SDJR I believe but they did use it themselves . I have a picture somewhere that shows one crossing Park road Gloucester from the wagon works to the Eastgate (midland) station. I don't know if it was on the shed allocation it is a good looking engine some day i will track down the shed allocation for Gloucester. Gloucester railways were half GWR and half Midland the Orchard docks sidings and the wagon works were accessed via the Tuffley loop. Most engines were Midland and remained so up to and though the LMS to BR . You certainly have lot and varied collection of loco's . Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts