Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyboy help me with some information on any 9F's that have a mainline ticket.

The 2 locos that i have found are 92212 and 92203 although i am not sure if they have a ticket.

I an looking at getting one of the new bachmann models and repainting/renumbering it so it can run around on a modern image layout with a steam special.

I would like any information that you have, Tender type, single or double Chimney. Any pictures that you happen to have that i could use to help me weather it would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Alistair

alistair _ 1985 @ hotmail . com

(delete spaces)

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Both of the locos you are mention are currently at The Gloucester and Warwickshire railway. Follow this link and scroll down to a news item which explains that 92203 is a resident at the GWR (sic) and 92212 is on loan in place of another Mid Hants loco - a Merchant Navy - which was promised but not yet ready. The item goes on to state that 92212 is currently undergoing work with the intention of returning it to mainline running, so from that you can deduce that at present it does not yet have a "ticket" but in the fullness of time and enough money, it will. You can find a comprehensive recent restoration history on 92212 here.

On a recent visit to The Bluebell Railway, I saw a 9F standing outside their nice recently completed shed. Their web site contains this page on 92240. Reading the comprehensive write up on this Crewe built loco reveals that she is currently out of service.

I believe that there may be as many as 10 9Fs in preservation, so counting Evening Star (in York?) that leaves 6 more to find.

Happy hunting
David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
After much messing about and making a post, I ended up on Wikipedia which has this entry

Wikipedia 9F preservation list showing 9 specimens in preservation.

I had managed to find 92214 and 92219 and can advise that 92219 is back in steam again (April this year I think).

From the 92214 site, I found Steam Galleries which has a "Railtours" section. It seems to cover most of the steam specials running in the UK at present. There are no 9Fs featured, so I guess none has a valid mainline ticket. Don't be disheartened, it looks like serious efforts are being made to get 92212 a ticket and it had a "black box" fitted last December. I'd go for that one if I was you - just remember you are not allowed to exceed 75mph on the main line.

Thanks to all the research, I've got somewhere to go tomorrow! A4 Union of South Africa /and/ King class Edward 1 are both running on the SVR this weekend. I'm planning to take both still and movie cameras. I want to get that chime whistle on tape.

David

·
Registered
521 Posts
Can you explain what the problem is with the flangeless centre wheels please?
There must be a reason, but I'd like to know what it is.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I believe the issue concerned check rails at point work - modern standards result in these standing proud of the running rails and I guess the problem was that the flangless drivers might just, just, ride up and derail.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
"From the 92214 site, I found Steam Galleries which has a "Railtours" section. It seems to cover most of the steam specials running in the UK at present. There are no 9Fs featured, so I guess none has a valid mainline ticket. Don't be disheartened, it looks like serious efforts are being made to get 92212 a ticket and it had a "black box" fitted last December. I'd go for that one if I was you - just remember you are not allowed to exceed 75mph on the main line."

But Tornado will be seeking a 90 mph derogation!!!!

"Thanks to all the research, I've got somewhere to go tomorrow! A4 Union of South Africa /and/ King class Edward 1 are both running on the SVR this weekend. I'm planning to take both still and movie cameras. I want to get that chime whistle on tape."

And wasn't that a blast - I got taken for father's day - and caught a King, No 9, Bradley Manor, the 8F and a Mickey mouse!

·
Registered
521 Posts
QUOTE check rails at point work - modern standards result in these standing proud of the running rails and I guess the problem was that the flangless drivers might just, just, ride up and derail.
Thanks for that explanation, 60134.
Of course, that immediately result in another question . . . but I already derailed the topic, so I'd better not ask it!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>And wasn't that a blast - I got taken for father's day - and caught a King, No 9, Bradley Manor, the 8F and a Mickey mouse!

I had a good day too, I'll add to my Blog later. I didn't see Mickey Mouse

David

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The Mickey Mouse was the "wild card" being used, as it was, on the day's driver training course....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts