Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello the wait is over or so i thought got my 9f yesterday looks great although one of the tender steps was missing , runs well on the straight , doesnt like bends and comes off at every other set of points then jammed a couple of times (side rods??) so back it went 2nd one ran well in the shop and well on the layout for twenty minutes before dveloping a bad limp so that will be going back as well if theres a problem with that one ill have my money back as any one else any comments on them

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
bachmanns quatering is never perfect on any of their ranges and their back to backs are sometimes slightly out.
that said i have never had a problem with getting a loco swapped as long as you take it straight back.
try and give it a good run in she shop rather than just a quick test.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
dont judge it unless you have tried it. they are good loco's. but they would rather spend their money on keeping the prices down for us rather than quality control.

i am gratefull of this. its really no problem to take a loco back and swap it and our prices are half those of the continent.

Peter

·
Registered
16 Posts
The experience of members of RMWeb seems to be much better with the newe 9F. I presume all your track is well laid and you are talking about scale speeds. I'm hoping mine will arrive in the next few days, so I'll be able to try it out for myself.

There has been a lot of "Bachmann Bashing" in the past, but lets actually try the 9F before condeming it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE i am gratefull of this. its really no problem to take a loco back and swap it and our prices are half those of the continent.
Having to return to the hobby shop to "swap" a model would be a big problem for me but I respect your opinion.

As far as Bachmann goes the only problem I have with them is that it's hard to know what you are getting since they have so many factories/suppliers. I do have my eye on one of their Shays which have been very popular in the United States.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive (evening star) to-date, i have never had to return a loco for any reason, but judging from what I have just read above, maybe my first return is imminent, lets hope not, let you know when i get it.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I'm also still waiting for my Evening Star ex Hattons.

With the Ivatt mine didnt run well at all, but an hour on mu Bacrus Rolling Road and it was sorted. Besides I expect to have to fiddle just a little with a new loco, it sort of goes with the territory.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with MMaD, in that we have been almost brain washed into accepting that it's necessary to fiddle with a new loco before it runs perfectly.
That doesn't mean that we should accept it though!
As for price Vs quality control, I will never accept that as the norm. Quality control should apply to any product manufactured, as the cost of QA is only a very small part of the total development and manufacturing costs.
Why complain about small deviations from the prototype, but accept that the loco will not run properly out of the box? Aren't we getting our priorities wrong? If it's not right, complain - LOUD & LONG.
Generally, we British are more accepting of shoddy goods than any other nation and we are wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hello again got my 3rd 9f today and everything is fine , will pull 40 wagons no problem watch out for loose tender steps which seem to be pushed on not glued and with such a long wheel base point work needs to be flat , despite a couple of hiccups i have a loveley model i can now get to work on weathering it by the way i purchased it from hobbyrail in sutton b/ham who are always very helpful and exchanged in with no fuss

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Yes I've shopped in Hobby Rail, it's an Aladdins Cave, tiny but packed full of very useful items, you have to dig a bit.

Just like a model shop should be ! I'm still waiting Hattons to Hatch my Evening Star. Must being handled by the slow delivery section. Now there's a shop that was a major disappointment - Hattons. Normally good at mail order, but the shop is a major disapointment.
I did read somewhere on one of the forums that someone had managed a 100 wagons behind one. " Maybe it was the total test layout at Model Rail after a few shots of nandrolone.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE Generally, we British are more accepting of shoddy goods than any other nation and we are wrong.
I've always wondered about this. Is it true? Is it all part of keeping a stiff upper lip. An admirable national characteristics that manifests itself in this manner when relating to British products? Will the British except less just to buy British? If I'm way off base just tell me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
In reply Denis, I don't think it has anything to do with buying British, more a traditional tendency to behave in a "proper" manner and not cause a fuss. Who else would put up with a bad or incorrectly cooked steak and not complain, because they didn't want to make a fuss in public.
Things are improving, especially with the younger generation, but still many people 50+ accept poor standards rather than complain loudly.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
And Hobby Rail even open on Sunday for 2 hours and have a good secondhand section!

Who needs the internet when you have Hobby Rail!

QUOTE but still many people 50+ accept poor standards rather than complain loudly.

I complained very loudly in Sainbury's the other day. The other customers all looked at me and thought I was stark raving bonkers which at the time I was!

I need to be careful at my age. It could lead to a heart attack or a burst blood vessel!

Far better to remain calm in hindsight however I do have an adverse reaction to incredibly poor customer service...

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
99 Posts
Two 9Fs on order, Evening Star from Rails of Sheffield and a black one from Hattons ... hopefully spreading the delivery risk! I've been luck to date with stuff from both excellent shops, let's hope it's maintained! Oh, and I can't wait! They look so good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My friend got the single chimney black version and that initially jammed going forward but seemed to sort itself out.

I got the Evening Star and runs well, but is still going back as there is a big scuff mark on top of the tender that shows black through the green paint. Also slight blemish on the tender lining.

My advice is take a good look at your loco and test it well.

Cheers.
Garry

1 - 20 of 42 Posts