Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
You may have a bit of a wait for the evening star from hornby as according to their forum they sold out PDQ and are close to selling out of the early crest one too.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I got my Evening Star from Hatton's this morning. This is an impressive loco even by modern R-T-R standards.
I can't fault the finsh anywhere, the loco ran well straight out of the box on DC, and with an hour on my rolling road had really settled down to be silky smooth. I hav'nt installed a decoder yet, as I only have a short section of test track at the moment. Well done to Graham Hubbard and his team at Barnwell this is an outstanding product, I will be buying more 9F's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Now received both of my 9Fs. Both excellent; Evening Star had a loose smokebox door handrail, but that's about it. Considering all the detail, and the distance travelled, I think that's pretty good. They somehow seem less delicate than Hornby's recent models (this is an observation, not a complaint or criticism) and capture the immense size and power of the real things pretty well. Once you've noticed the squashed-in cylinders (clearances?) you can't stop, but it's a minor compromise. Both run well.

Roll on Hornby's Brit!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well i'm pleased to say that I have now got my mitts on the new Bachman 9F (evening star) and what a fine looking locomotive it is, its been a long wait, but well worth it, like most modellers i have only one criticism, the name "EVENING STAR" has been etched onto the smoke deflectors, and i'm sure if that is how the original looked, but i think I would have prefered to see raised name plates, (even if the prototype had them painted on) i think it would give this loco a little bit more respect that it deserves, but thats just my opinion for what it worth.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ERR no i did not look in the box for anything other that the loco, and the box is sitting here right next to me, what an idiot i am (no replys on that required) next question, whats the best way to stick them on, would appreciate answers to that? many thanks

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,989 Posts
Well I got 92216 on monday and I'm well pleased. It travelled from England to Australia and almost arrived in one piece. Seriously, there was a buffer lying in the bottom of the box, it wasn't broken, just not glued in (QC?). A screw was loose on the valve gear. More QC?. But after running it around for a while and chipping it with a Lenz Silver, it runs superbly. I've got a CMX track cleaning Tanker here, and the only thing that up to now would pull/push it was my Heljan 47. The 9F does it just as well. I just hope that this is the sort of product that we can expect from now on, and I know as well as anyone else that Hornby can match it if they want to. No need for stupid traction tyres, just a nice heavy Loco'.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
We clanked my Evening Star and my mates 92116 round his wall hugging 26ft x10 ft garage layout and they both perform perfectly. With a slight incline 92116 managed most of his coaching stock (38) with wheel slip on a slight incline. Impressive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi chaps,

It is great to have a Bachmann 9F model. For those of us who model the long lamented S&D line we need a Double chimnied version fitted with the smaller 1G tender (As carried by the Evening Star model). The current Bachmann Black versions of the 9F all carry the larger 1C tender at the moment. Let us hope that Bachmann will later release a Double chimney 9F with the smaller 1G tender for S&D fans. They can easily do this as the smaller 1G tender is already in the product range

In the final analysis the S&D 'borrowed' all varieties 9F's (apart from the Tyne Dock ones) from other areas so no version of the 9F can be called wrong on an S&D layout just a bit unusual.

If you want to run your Evening Star with 4 coaches choose the S&D line as there are lots of photos of Evening Star doing just that.

Happy modelling Stephen.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Got my 'Evening Star' at the end of last week. Up to the layout to run it - just a few problems. One end of my fiddle yard had a curve which was just too tight for it. And several rails had come adrift at baseboard joints possibly due to the high temperatures in the loft in recent weeks. So out with the soldering iron today to effect repairs and a bit of relaying. Got the 9F on the move late this afternoon - very impressive!
Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,995 Posts
Can someone tell me how the couplings are mounted please? There's a 9F coming my way in 29 days time and I'm busy building some Parkside kits to go with it. I'm fitting the Parksides with Kadees, so I'd like to have a pair on hand to do an instant conversion...

David

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
They have the very simple NEM pockets so it's a Number 19 Kadee at the tender rear. I didn't fit one to the front of the loco as the coupler pocket sits a bit low. I just added a scale screw coupling to the front for looks. I've also changed sound decoders in my 9F to a Tsunami light steam. Excellent chuff sound but the whistle is still not right and you have a choice of seven. I may have to relent and get a Loksound so I can program in the correct whistle.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (dwb @ 27 Nov 2006, 09:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can someone tell me how the couplings are mounted please? There's a 9F coming my way in 29 days time and I'm busy building some Parkside kits to go with it. I'm fitting the Parksides with Kadees, so I'd like to have a pair on hand to do an instant conversion...

David

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im getting my Lovely 9F for christmas and A royal scot
. I heard the scot model is a rough runner. I suppose that is to match the prototype. Like the Pannier

·
Registered
94 Posts
Double post! Ouch.

Just noticed in My Bachmann Catalogue that it says the 9F models have "Etched Deflectors" Are they brass painted black?

·
Administrator
9,995 Posts
>NEM pockets
Thanks Ali and Ozzie.

I think I've got a couple of 19s in stock

David

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.