Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
If anyone is interested Rail's Of Sheffield are selling the new Hornby A4 Andrew K McCosh at £49.50!.This loco is split from the Northumbrian set. The whole set is on offer as well.
MickD

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
You often see split sets on ebay and in some retailers adverts - collectors won't touch 'em because of the lack of original packaging.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Collectors make up the largest single market for model railway locomotives. You would be totally astounded at how many collectors in the UK have collections in excess of the stock carried by the majority of retailers!

They won't touch examples like this with a barge pole. The fact its been split means its been handled at some point so its no longer mint and perfect. Believe me I have been through all these arguments many a time and collectors are a bit fussy! No packaging and from a collectors point of view the value is marked down by 40%! Every valuer of collections will tell you the same. This loco will be worthless to collectors going forward without the box. It will only be operators who buy.

If you are a collector and you think you are picking up a bargain don't say you have not been warned.

Rails place big orders and they are only selling off 20-30 or so of these so it is probably simply time to clear out old stock from last year to make room for the new. Unlike collectors, retailers need cashflow and can't afford to wait 2-3 years for prices to start rising again.

Happy collecting??

Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
Apparently the northumbrian set didn't sell as well as was hoped, possibly due to the loco and it being a single chimney one with early crest. Rails also have the full set in a large quantity as well. This is where you get some unscrupulous traders swopping locos about and claiming to have a rare set for sale "not in the catalogue"

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Of course the point has to be made that if an item does not sell well now, then it will be highly prized as a collectable in 30 years time! (2036 collector =
)

Collectors will be getting very excited at the prospect of Rails of Sheffield disposing of a consignment of packaging for this set as there will now be less packaging in circulation going forward. What chance empty boxes turning up on Ebay and fetching £5-£10?

For those who are not bothered about collectables and actually enjoy operating locomotives and wearing them out (the minority
) then it has to be said that the Rails offer is pretty good.

Even though Hornby are producing a Lord of the Isles set this year for £99, older sets are still going for £150 at auction. I don't expect this 2006 release to be the subject of discounting in the early part of 2007.

The mindset of collectors is an interesting subject and things like the Rails offer, for a collector, actually makes things more desirable!

Happy collecting??

Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is also a limited production run and should come with a certificate.
I've seen people on ebay who sell the box with the loco and then the carriages unboxed.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The real bargain is the Live Steam offer.

This type of product retails in Germany for £2000 with German outline. And the Brits can now have Live Steam UK outline locomotives for little more than the cost of a normal top end loco. There is a strong dedicated Live Steam following who simply won't touch anything with electric motors in. Maybe this offer this will encourage more of the electric motor modellers to take the giant leap into "driving" Live Steam locomotives.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if the newer Hornby A4s have a better haulage capacity than the old? Our layout has a 1:37 gradient which my Dad's A4s struggle to get up - these models are 5+ years old and I think they have extra weight added in.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
My modern A4s get up a 1:25 gradient quite comfortably. I've had 6 modern Hornby coaches or about 10 older and slightly lighter coaches behind the locos and the incline is on a bend too which makes it worse.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mine got a sweat on with 11 of the new gresleys which i suppose is a bit extreme. It was moving but at about half the speed the wheels were turning. It was also on the flat but on a 3rd radius curve. Sadly i didn't do a direct comparison before parting with my old A4 so wouldn't like to say which would have better haulage capabilities although there are some rumblings (from myself and others) about modern steam loco haulage in general.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I fancied one of the Bachmann ones to go with my hornby pacifics. Which one did you have? I wouldn't say any of the newer steam loco's have sparkling haulage capacities. A pity as I will have enough space in the loft for a full length express or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts