Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornby Class 25 Bo Bo Diesel 25241 with Headcodes which illuminate in the direction of travel (1981)

Because it is a live chassis I have split the rear pick-up bogie and used a piece of spruce wood and araldite to hold it together and swapped 1 axle 180 degrees now both pick ups are on the same bogie the spruce wood being an insulator and the back bone so there is no short circuit Used a TCS 4X and everything is wired correctly (red & Black to track Grey and orange to motor) & it works BUT intermittently so I cannot go slow HELL I have even got the lights working in the direction of travel as well BUT it is very patchy and the track is clean.

I have an R2655 - SW Trains BO-BO Diesel Electric Class 73 and looking at the pick-ups it has I am wanting to know if there is a cross reference of a BO-BO bogie that will fit the Class 25 with the more efficient Pick-up of the track that will fit ?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (energize @ 25 Oct 2008, 02:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby Class 25 Bo Bo Diesel 25241 with Headcodes which illuminate in the direction of travel (1981)

Because it is a live chassis I have split the rear pick-up bogie and used a piece of spruce wood and araldite to hold it together and swapped 1 axle 180 degrees now both pick ups are on the same bogie the spruce wood being an insulator and the back bone so there is no short circuit Used a TCS 4X and everything is wired correctly (red & Black to track Grey and orange to motor) & it works BUT intermittently so I cannot go slow HELL I have even got the lights working in the direction of travel as well BUT it is very patchy and the track is clean.

I have an R2655 - SW Trains BO-BO Diesel Electric Class 73 and looking at the pick-ups it has I am wanting to know if there is a cross reference of a BO-BO bogie that will fit the Class 25 with the more efficient Pick-up of the track that will fit ?

***All that was needed was to insulate both motor brushes and the loco would have converted easily. This is usually a simple task with most Hornby "power bogie" locomotives.

The Bachmann 25 is a better model and has all wheel drive and pickup - it converts easily to DCC too. Are you sure its worth persisting with the Hornby 25?

Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 25 Oct 2008, 03:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Energize

Make sure that the Wheels , Pickups and pickup contact area's , are squeaky clean also
If possible add extra power pickups.

Maybe some other forum members have converted this loco and have more idea's

Hope this helps

Regards Zmil
Hi
I have just this evening test run a Hornby 25 that I bought as a non runner on ebay. I have fitted a Bachmann 553 chip, leds to headcode panels, led red tail lights (difficult because of position near buffer beam), a 5pole armature sold on ebay intended for conversions. I first test ran a day or two ago but any running was intermittent to say the least. I added additional pick ups to the dummy bogie using phosphor bronze strips soldered to veroboard araldited each side of the metal part of the bogie. This gives me both poles being picked up from dummy bogie.

I made sure both brush feeds were isolated from the motor bogie frame.

Pleased with this conversion as it is first I have done with lights so tested my skills.

There was an article in Hornby Magazine a few months ago detailing a dcc conversion of this model also - worth a read.

No time now but can answer any detail Qs you may have.

Cliff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts