Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've come back to the hobby after 25 years, having played with trains as a kid and now want to pursue as a "serious" hobby.

As is probably obvious from my username, I intend to model late 1960's/70's/early 80's BR diesel era, though not limited to the Sulzer-engined varieties. Scale is going to be OO but I don't have a clear idea yet as regards modelling a particular scene or location. Also, I'm a little scared of DCC for now so will build some confidence with conevntional DC first. My influences were very much from the Midlands but also southern region so it's likely I'll go for some hybrid of that lot! I'll be grateful for any advice along the road. Having read a good deal of some of the forums already it seems like a fantastic site for tips, discussion, etc.

Being based in Dubai I wonder if anyone else is also here and would be grateful for any tips in sourcing raw materials (baseboard, etc) locally. Currently I'm using 18 mm chipboard which is not ideal! There's also the issue of actually getting rolling stock sent out here. Most of the stock I have already was shipped out with the furniture.

Anyway, good to be on board!

Cheers
Sulzerjev

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Sulzerjev,

Welcome to the MRF from a fellow Dubai resident. If you want to drop me a PM and arrange to get together I will be happy to compare notes and ideas over a beer (or three). Re. baseboards, I would recommend using ply as good quality ply is readily available here and not that expensive. I am planning to use 12mm ply in an open grid system for the baseboards with either a 6mm or 9mm top. I say planning because I'm not actually building my layout in Dubai. It's going to be my retirement project in China but I am getting everything together here, including baseboards, ready to ship. Presently building a 1/5th scale "Model of the Model' to work out the topography and scenic treatment.

I know what you mean about getting stuff here. It's a modelling Chernobyl. I have gradually hand carried most of my stuff here which raises an eye-brow or two at Heathrow.

I would be happy to discuss DCC with you as that's the way I am going and I am, by no means, an electronics expert. It just makes more sense to me than breaking trackwork down into separate isolated sections

Look forward to hearing from you,

Expat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Expat,

Excellent that you're in Dubai and up for a beer. Thanks for the tips re:boards; it's sounds like quite a project you've got so I look forward to hearing more.

As regards shipping stuff it sounds like we've both had the same experiences; most of my stock has been hand carried or with the aid of hapless relatives. I've only been brave enough to ship track, scenery etc by mail; sounds like it was the right move.

Anyway, I'll get in touch.

Cheers
Sulzerjev

QUOTE (Expat @ 15 Jun 2008, 20:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sulzerjev,

Welcome to the MRF from a fellow Dubai resident. If you want to drop me a PM and arrange to get together I will be happy to compare notes and ideas over a beer (or three). Re. baseboards, I would recommend using ply as good quality ply is readily available here and not that expensive. I am planning to use 12mm ply in an open grid system for the baseboards with either a 6mm or 9mm top. I say planning because I'm not actually building my layout in Dubai. It's going to be my retirement project in China but I am getting everything together here, including baseboards, ready to ship. Presently building a 1/5th scale "Model of the Model' to work out the topography and scenic treatment.

I know what you mean about getting stuff here. It's a modelling Chernobyl. I have gradually hand carried most of my stuff here which raises an eye-brow or two at Heathrow.

I would be happy to discuss DCC with you as that's the way I am going and I am, by no means, an electronics expert. It just makes more sense to me than breaking trackwork down into separate isolated sections

Expat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 15 Jun 2008, 15:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sulzerjev,

Expat.

Hi Expat,

Just had a look at your gallery, "model of the model". What a fantastic idea. How have you done it and have you thought about actually running something on it. I.e in Z scale or something.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Rayden500 @ 17 Jun 2008, 16:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Expat,

Just had a look at your gallery, "model of the model". What a fantastic idea. How have you done it and have you thought about actually running something on it. I.e in Z scale or something.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Glad you like my efforts. The model is built using 3mm card. First I built the baseboards to scale using halving joints to form an open grid system, which is how the full sized one will be built.

I then printed my 'Winrail' track design at 1/5th full size, stuck it down onto 3mm card and cut out the bits where it crosses the valley. The idea was to get a 3D impression of the scale of the various areas in relation to each other and work out the rise and fall of the land so that the track passes "through" it rather than "on" it. It has already resulted in some changes to the original concept, particularly on the approach to the Branch Line Terminus. My original thought was to have a level crossing at the end of the station but it just didn't look right so it was changed to a road overbridge.

As regards running something on it, apart from the structural strengthening which would be required, the model is to a scale of approximately 1:730 whereas even Z gauge is only 1:220 so not much chance of making it a 'working' model.

It has been a bit fiddly at times but has kept me out of mischief. For example the road overbridge mentioned earlier is actually a Scalescenes kit which I photographically reduced to approximately the right scale. There are 29 different pieces in that bridge and its only 1.5cm x 1.5 cm so was a real test of the eye-sight. As you can see from the pictures the scenery was built up using cardboard formers and papier mache with fine scenic scatter material to finish it off. I'm presently working on the area between the Main Line terminus and the viaduct and will post pictures when completed.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Sulzerjev. I'll buy you a beer on Thursday.

Happy modelling.

Trevor (aka Expat).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not at all. It was a great question from Rayden and a fascinating answer. Cheers.
QUOTE (Expat @ 17 Jun 2008, 20:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Mark,

Glad you like my efforts. The model is built using 3mm card. First I built the baseboards to scale using halving joints to form an open grid system, which is how the full sized one will be built.

I then printed my 'Winrail' track design at 1/5th full size, stuck it down onto 3mm card and cut out the bits where it crosses the valley. The idea was to get a 3D impression of the scale of the various areas in relation to each other and work out the rise and fall of the land so that the track passes "through" it rather than "on" it. It has already resulted in some changes to the original concept, particularly on the approach to the Branch Line Terminus. My original thought was to have a level crossing at the end of the station but it just didn't look right so it was changed to a road overbridge.

As regards running something on it, apart from the structural strengthening which would be required, the model is to a scale of approximately 1:730 whereas even Z gauge is only 1:220 so not much chance of making it a 'working' model.

It has been a bit fiddly at times but has kept me out of mischief. For example the road overbridge mentioned earlier is actually a Scalescenes kit which I photographically reduced to approximately the right scale. There are 29 different pieces in that bridge and its only 1.5cm x 1.5 cm so was a real test of the eye-sight. As you can see from the pictures the scenery was built up using cardboard formers and papier mache with fine scenic scatter material to finish it off. I'm presently working on the area between the Main Line terminus and the viaduct and will post pictures when completed.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Sulzerjev. I'll buy you a beer on Thursday.

Happy modelling.

Trevor (aka Expat).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts