Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,449 Posts
...how do you ensure vertical cuts through your bodies?...
My method has been razor saw, with pieces of steel clamped to the 'Workmate' as guides. But read on.
Almost nothing gets posted in the 'On My Workbench' section these days. Is nobody building anything?...
Not much, because my vision has light level variable astigmatism on different axes in each eye. Squiffy vision in all but bright sunshine... I am largely restricting myself to a single unambitious general merchandise van upgrade: take an Airfix GMR or Dapol LMS type sliding door van body, attach to any cheaply obtained 10' wb steel underframe chassis I can find. (The plastic material of the original Airfix GMR chassis wears very badly, it's also not an accurate representation, so for the bin.) That I can do because everything is 'all square' to start with, but it is not very interesting...

The sliding door general merchandise van designs of the LNER (woohoo, now available as good RTR OO models) and the LMS are very necessary in quantity for these groups, and for the subsequent BR(ER)/(LMR)/(ScR) operations as many rail served premises could not accept the primitive cupboard door equipped vans of the lesser operations to the South, which detail was inexplicably carried over into BR's vans making them unacceptable for much of the traffic. As a result the LNER and LMS sliding door vans were necessarily retained in traffic until the general collapse of rail freight in the face of road competition. Inexplicably, nothing better than the Airfix GMR model has ever appeared in RTR OO, despite the LMS designs being the most numerous type of Big Four general merchandise van, and ubiquitous around the UK's rail network in consequence.

·
In depth idiot
8,449 Posts
Almost nothing gets posted in the 'On My Workbench' section these days. Is nobody building anything?...
Further to which there's 'location'. In the excellent 'Thornton' thread in the 'On my layout' section there's quite a lot of 'incidental workbench' relevant to layout developments, which in turn provoked me into doing what is possible:

...Your good work on the van stock made me pull my finger out on upping my LMS design van contribution to the layout stock over the winlockterdown, and now it only waits for a fine still day for the outdoor spray application of BR wagon brown (+ filth in varying degrees) to about 30 of the bodies to move this project on. See the influence you have among us lazy types...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.