Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to all this dcc stuff! But i am lookig to invest in a new dcc kit, to go with my new model railway it i currentley have £500 to spend on a contriller and a few decoders.

I will need a good controller because it needs to oprate a railway 25-18 feet, with 112 point and at the minute 47 locos(manly hornby bachmann and heljan) i am looking for one which has the latest feature and future proof .

I am quiet intresed in a lenz set 100, or ECoS command station genration 2 (would the ecos be compatible wth lenz or other makes decoders?)

Which would you guys recommand? or any other kits which you think would be better for my needs.

your thoughts and comments would graet help to me

ALL the best smiley

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (smiley @ 26 Mar 2007, 10:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am quiet intresed in a lenz set 100, or ECoS command station genration 2 (would the ecos be compatible wth lenz or other makes decoders?)

Either is a good choice - probably the most important feature to look at is the number of functions you will require - sound requires more.

The Lenz Set100 is good & reliable, although a little dated - I use one for my LGB Garden Railway. The service back up from the importers (MacKay Models is outstanding).

The EcoS does almost everything except make the tea. I am not aware of any decoder that will not function with it.

Look at the comparisons chart & try to narrow it down a bit. List the features you know you will require, now or in the future.

Do you want hand held or desk console ?

Do you want computer interface ?

& so on.

Most importantly (if you can) have a play with the various systems to see how you like them.

Your budget will get you a fully featured system - best advice with decoders is remember that generally you get what you pay for. I would start with getting a couple of different types (personally I'd recommend a Lenz Silver & an ESU Lokpilot) & see how you get on.

Any more questions then please ask away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It dosent botherme to be honest wheather its hand held or desktop control, i just want the contoler i buy to have all the latest feature such as the ebiltey to control sound decoders, signals and point motors the whole job if you know what mean! (if i am correct cant you add a handheld contoler to the ecos?)

Will the ecos work with a programe called train control?

what is Ecoslink Multiprotocol? i know it is the bus for the device but why isnt loconet or expressnet and would this be compatible with certain accesory decoders.

Also where can you get the ecos from because i am struggling to find a retailer!

Thx smiley

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>(if i am correct cant you add a handheld contoler to the ecos?)
ESU do a wireless controller but it's 'ing expensive at about £176.

>i know it is the bus for the device but why isnt loconet or expressnet and would this be compatible with certain accesory decoders.
ECOSlink uses the CAN bus protocol. I guess ESU decided not to use them. That does seem at odds with their determination to be compatible with so much else - for example dual Motorola / DCC support - the ECOsniffer port to accept input from an existing DCC system.

What accessory decoders does that rule out for you?

> Also where can you get the ecos from because i am struggling to find a retailer!

This link will take you to the UK dealers page of ESU's german language website - the english version has closed. There is a US based site with a "volunteer" support forum.

David

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can buy the ESU Ecos from DCC Supplies www.dccsupplies.co.uk.

It sounds to me like this would be the most suitable, future proof system. I've been bowsing through the manual online, and you seem to be able to link just about anything to it.

Railroad & Co. seems to be about the most popular control software, I've not heard of Train Control, do you know which comapy makes this? I think the Ecos is likely to be well supported in Europe. I'm a firm fan of ESU decoders including their excellent Loksound range. Many manufacturers seem to be turning to ESU to supply their digital equipment.

The only slight hiccup with ESU is theu are not to big on English, the English version of their website is usually well behind the German one, and their decoders do not come with English instructions, though you can download them.

DCC Supplies do include an English manual with their Ecos though, and a UK plug!

It seems you can add any DCC controller to the Ecos via it's ECOSniffer port.

Hope this helps
AshleyH

·
Registered
27 Posts
http://www.freiwald.com/pages/traincontroller.htm Here the link to there webstie what i can gather is that it is a very good programe.

Does any one now wheter the ecos comes with a booster.

I know this is a bit of a noob question
how many crcuit of trackan the ecos control beause at the minute i have, 4 crcuit and two fiddle yards and looking to expand

Thx a lot

smiley

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Does any one now wheter the ecos comes with a booster.
You only need a booster if you plan to have more locomotives active (ie running) at a time than the standard unit can supply power to. The ECoS is quite capable in its stand alone form. ESU did announce a booster should you need more power at the Nurnberg toy fair in February.

I am sure that we've had threads on "how many locos can I run per ampere of current on DCC layout" before.
David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
The Ecos comes with a pretty decent power supply. It is unlikely that you will need a booster but if you do there is one coming out this year.

The Ecos is probably the best controller on the market at the moment on terms of what it can do balanced with cost. There are acouple of controllers, Zimo and Veissmann commander, which can do a bit more but cost significantluy more.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
The Ecos comes with a pretty decent power supply. It is unlikely that you will need a booster but if you do there is one coming out this year.

The Ecos is probably the best controller on the market at the moment on terms of what it can do balanced with cost. There are acouple of controllers, Zimo and Veissmann commander, which can do a bit more but cost significantluy more.

The Ecos can control as many circuits of track as you like. It's how many locos that draw current thats the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts