Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Longfunnelled&tiresome
2,056 Posts
QUOTE (conmaira @ 9 Feb 2013, 13:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As a nonDave, you can probably include me, subject to everything else I need/want/have to do.
HughOOh! I don't know, if there's non Daves getting involved, I'm not sure I'd want to sign up.
And anyway its got a hipped roof.

Can I build it as one of those 'modernistic' flat roofed white jobbies with Crittall windows? I'll bet there are a fair few in Margate.

LF&T

· Longfunnelled&amp;tiresome
2,056 Posts
QUOTE (David Todd @ 16 Feb 2013, 04:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is the "brand" of vehicle, one must drive to part take in Bell Ringing practice........(camper...nologist).

QUOTE (7113 @ 16 Feb 2013, 08:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you dt, do you never sleep?Could you 7113 - with that kind of stuff buzzing round inside your head?

Remember the "Numbskulls" in the Beano?

LF&T

2,056 Posts
QUOTE (StuB @ 23 Feb 2013, 09:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The choice of this particular kit is truly inspired since it is so bad that it does open up lots of possibilities for modifying and improving.
Looking at the kit I felt there were some glaring architectural errors. The house is basically a complete work of fiction.
StuExcellent post Stu; many thanks for raising my spirits.
So I'm going to treat it in the GWR manner where bits of the original Gooch broad gauge flyers and Armstrong's Stafford Road engines were said to be buried deep down within the very last Swindon Castles.

So galloping off in the opposite direction here are some art deco detached houses that might act as inspiration:
the white ones are in Hampstead Garden Suburb, the brick one is in Spalding (courtesy of Jaz, the LH competition winner).

LF&T

2,056 Posts
I knew that centre hall/stair window on the Spalding house looked familiar......

....Then I remembered: it features here on the Bassett-Lowke house at Northampton designed by Peter Behrens (of Walter Gropius, Dassau and Bauhaus fame) in 1926.

called New Ways, and built in 1926 it was one of the first modern houses in Britain (previously B-L had lived in a Mackintosh converted house in Northampton here) and proved extremely controversial in a land still very suspicious of anything German.
I believe that after WWI B-L had to re-badge the Bing model railway equipment he was importing. B-L was a great enthusiast for industrial design (on the Behrens/Bauhaus example) and was instrumental in starting the forunner of the British COID that was involved in designing the British diesel locos and the HST.

I've found some useful modelling info from Bing maps:

I love the chimneys all sticking out of the flat roof - like modern day Beijing!

So I think I shall have a stab at this....
LF&T

2,056 Posts
QUOTE (KGR @ 24 Feb 2013, 22:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>O.K. Dave, I have got the kit back out of the drawer, I will stay with it. I will use a 3/4" socket set ....

Doh! I'm leaving the group build if folk are getting all Imperialist about measuring.
5/32" to 1' 0" anyone? That's how ...dt... measures down Dover way!

LF&T (the odd dave)

2,056 Posts
QUOTE (7113 @ 25 Feb 2013, 13:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I now look forward to how others attack the window issue,How folk 'attack' the window issue of course also depends upon what period or 'epoch' they are modelling.
More than anything windows tell you so much about the building. It is like looking someone straight into the eyes to 'read the character'.

The windows on the kit shout to me 1934 and if left as they are on a "modern" layout are telling us that it is a run down property lived in by an elderly occupant and is "ripe" for improvement.
Most houses of this interwar style will have had replacement double glazing installled ( and a whole host of "improvements" added on) by subsequent qwners.

To me it will be more far more interesting seeing how folk respond to these real life influences on environmental character than whether laser cutters and 3D printing machines have been brought into play.

LF&T

2,056 Posts
I've had a fairly torrid time since deciding upon Basset-Lowke's house New Ways as my goal, but I'll post this before going off on mi hols...
First I tried sizing the plan and deriving the elevations from Google and the Bing birdseye view stuff I'd got but it came in way over scale.
Then I set up a perspective analysis here:
Building Plant Window Sky House

based on the 2M door height of that big arts & crafty house next door (I assume built more or less at the same time - I do wonder how the neighbours got on with B-L!)

From that I derived a pair of elevations that scaled quite reasonably. But my biggest shock came with opening the Dapol kit. OMG ! It seemed to me like buying a B&Q basic garden tool shed to be roped to a Mondeo's roof for transport home. My own approach to buildings comes from designing as I model - which means you have to use actual wall and floor thicknesses etc., so these plastic flats as walls are ...well a bit too plasticky.
Rectangle Building Urban design Font Facade

If I press on, its going to be even more a Swindon style GWR rebuild than I'd imagined...or was it the LMS where the Baby Scot wheel centres were said to be the only bits of Claughton to survive the "rebuild"?

LF&T

Attachments

2,056 Posts
QUOTE (Petal @ 7 Mar 2013, 15:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>New and newer houses have the soil pipes on the inside nowadays. I have no idea when the change happened, probably 30 or more years ago. The top of the pipe sticking up through the roof.it was always a transAtlantic joke about the way the Brits "run all their pipes up the outside so they can get to them easily when they freeze".

Just the opposite when it came to comparing transAtlantic preferences about the aesthetics of classic steam locos.

Good to see all this progress on the kit, I have to leave mine on the back burner for a bit while I work through SWMBO's long "yououghta..." list.

LF&T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.