Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I am really sorry about this but I had a premonition about this group build:

The fact that I am not named Dave and that I have already built the kit 53 years ago probably makes me ineligible. I will just have to sit this one out.

Best regards ............... Greyvoices (alias John)

· Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I do hope that nobody minds me contributing to this thread but I have been following progress with great interest. I think that the choice of kit and the "anything goes" nature of the group build to be quite brilliant. What is emerging is a range of approaches utilising a variety of skills that are very thought provoking.

I have to admit that I have ordered the kit but have decided not to participate, choosing instead to let my grandchildren attempt their first plastic kit with the aid of their grandmother, for whom this is also a first. I will post a photo of their efforts once completed.

The use of the milling machine by Stu I find truly inspirational and has demonstrated to me that even a very basic kit can be treated as a starting point for a very well executed model. I was always a bit slapdash when kit bashing and being able to observe a craftsman at work is educational and maybe a smidgeon of talent could rub off on me. I live in hope.

As Stu has emphasised, this is not a competition and I look forward to the finished buildings produced by whatever level of expertise, anticipating intriguing results from modellers only a tad more gifted than me.

My one area of concern is with the ambition of LF&T. Would he not be better off using the Airfix Airfield Conning Tower as a base kit?

Best regards .............. Greyvoices (alias John)

· Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I hope that it is ok if I join in with this project at such a late stage. I was initially tempted as I remember making this particular kit around about 1960. I was inspired enough to buy the house kit once again but this time it would be the basis of my grandchildren's first plastic kit build at ages 7 and 9. I have illustrated this on my "West Suffolk Junction" thread but thought it appropriate to post a photo of the children's efforts here.

I have to admit that I guided them through the process but the work is all their own. I did learn a valuable lesson for future projects and that is that they should each have their own kit as sharing the build of one kit did lead to the inevitable sibling rivalry ....... but not too much.

Best regards ................ Greyvoices (alias John)

· Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I am sorry Sarah but I am not John Grey.

The reason why we choose these seemingly ridiculous on-line names can be evidence of an inner desire to be someone that we are not. In my case the name echoes something that has some significance in my life though it would be deemed laughable by others. At least John is real.

As to the kits being accurate copies of real prototypes, they are approximations, manipulated to keep to a cost, to convey an idea. What you are doing is admirable but your expertise was really needed in 1957 when the building was first designed.

That said, I've lived in some houses where the internal layout was something of an afterthought.

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.