Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people have suggested another group build, so here's what I'm suggesting

We take a basic Dapol kit like this:

http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/images/d...ached-house.jpg

and build it, no racing ahead just take the kit and we discuss a) how to build it, b)how to improve it, c) weathering and finishing, and possibly d) fitting into the landscape.

I picked the building above for two reasons, firstly it's a very simple kit, and secondly it's widely available.

So, who's going to join in?

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Hi guys,

I have no specific start date, let's get a few people on board first. Ian, get your kit and I'll wait for you.

As to this being a "Daves" thread if LF&T joins us that will raise the numbers.

Now the next bit could take some thinking about...

I do like Daves idea of posting the glue around the country, closely followed by Daves idea of sensing a single kit around - now that's what I call a group build.

Perhaps we could get the Dave channel to make a documentary!

Anyhow, any more takers?

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi John, certainly not ineligible, and any way my middle name is John....

QUOTE (Greyvoices @ 14 Feb 2013, 18:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The fact that I am not named Dave and that I have already built the kit 53 years ago probably makes me ineligible. I will just have to sit this one out.
If truth be told I built my first one around 45 years ago

Good to see a couple more on board with this one.

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Long funnel & tiresome @ 14 Feb 2013, 17:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OOh! I don't know, if there's non Daves getting involved, I'm not sure I'd want to sign up.
And anyway its got a hipped roof.

Can I build it as one of those 'modernistic' flat roofed white jobbies with Crittall windows? I'll bet there are a fair few in Margate.

You are quite welcome to modify the kit - just as long as you join in, the whole idea is to see how people approach things.

Incidentally I fully expect this thread to go off topic every so often....

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
QUOTE (David Todd @ 14 Feb 2013, 23:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please do not post the glue to me, far too much to do, may be next time around,, UHU for now........

Now now dt, we do NOT use UHU for plastic kits......

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Right to get things back on track again, I think the following have now signed up for this "Masterclass"

7113, Ian Abel, LetoII, Norman Byrne, Brian Considine, Conmaira, Big Dave, Stu B, UPnick and KGR. (I'm not sure about FF&T)

Anyone else?

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Look, I knew this could possibly get seriously off topic but please try and behave....

QUOTE (Long funnel & tiresome @ 15 Feb 2013, 13:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeah I'm in - but for "a bit of this and a bit of that" with kit bashing. NahwotImean?
R U starin at my bay winders?
OK, it was a typo...anyway you are now in the build, but can we please have no more refereces to VW campers!!

QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 15 Feb 2013, 13:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Masterclass??? I will look forward to watching your Pendon-level results Dave.
Did you not notice the inverted commas?

QUOTE (David Todd @ 15 Feb 2013, 17:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have mine, done ...!!!!

Hmm, I don't remember saying anything about cold cast resin models.

Anyhow, I have ordered mine and Brians, when they arrive I may start this properly!!

Oh, and I think that's 12 now.

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thank you dt, do you never sleep?

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Many thanks for all the nonsense so far on this thread, hopefully it will throw up ideas for all to use. Perhaps at this point I should stress that the only real rule is we all start with the same kit. I know it's seriously awful, but that's the point, you know, silk purse from sows ear and that kind of thing...

Look if you want to add etched windows you can.

QUOTE (Long funnel & tiresome @ 17 Feb 2013, 19:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could you 7113 - with that kind of stuff buzzing round inside your head?

A fair point.

QUOTE (LetoII @ 17 Feb 2013, 20:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good job I'd already got mine then in it! You gotta watch these Dave's you know, they don't half move quick!
Sure do, I got the last two from the link in post#1

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
QUOTE (Norman Byrne @ 18 Feb 2013, 07:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe at its best whilst still in the bag / box LOL !!!!!
The worlds first "boil in the bag" kit?

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
OK,, let's get sensible, I meant that we all start with a kit from the same tool, if you lot want to send a tube of glue around the country/globe

that's up to you
.. QUOTE (conmaira @ 18 Feb 2013, 14:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not the same solvent/glue. then?
NO!

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Two of said kits were delivered to my parents* today, that is to say mine and Brians'. So who else has taken delivery of theirs?

*Their post is rather more reliable than mine!!(plus they're retired)

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I will probably post the opening post of the building section of this tomorrow, won't actually be able to collect the kits until then due to other commitments.

I shall also get Brians' to him in the next couple of days.

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
According to my calculations I think that 8 kits have been received, should be enough for starters.

Of course if anyone wants to join in late they are more than welcome.

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Now now Norman, have you been taking "Dover" pills?

The first "build" post should appear late tomorrow, or possibly early Friday.

Don't forget, once you have the kit it's basically anything goes.

As Nick said "I've got some ideas", Well, so have I.....

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Gentlemen, start your engines.....

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
As it appears that we have enough to get started, here we go.

What most of us should now have:

An unopened Dapol kit.

Having opened the bag, this is what we find:

All the bits, bearing in mind the age of the tooling, the parts are still quite crisp and not warped. Plenty of glazing included, but not included in this shot.

And the final photo for now, the windows.....

More on these later.

So observations and thoughts:

1) I think I can see a lot of possibilities here.
2) This should be fun
3) Raiding of the kit spares box will be, um, interesting.
4) Those windows......I have a couple of ideas.

Well, that's all for now.

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Well, did a bit of trial fitting late last night and everything seems to fit where it should (so far at least
). My thoughts at the moment revolve around fitting internal walls/ceilings/floors etc. which with the possibility of some lighting has thrown up a small, but not insurmountable problem, which is there are some moulded gaps at the front of the roof - looks like a job for filler.

Well, that's my state of play at present.

Observations anyone?

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
QUOTE (Ian Abel @ 22 Feb 2013, 15:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>having just got back into the game, I don't have a "kit spares box" to raid, so I might just be the one to build a "control/reference version".
Although not part of the original plan, I suppose anything goes.

Regards

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I hope for a post from BC sometime tomorrow - until he gets hs kit he's been very quiet......................

Regards

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.