Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
808 Posts
Hi Dave, good idea. I can't promise I'll be able to keep up any specific pace but if you don't mind me dropping in and out as needed then I'm game.
I can't think of an immediate use for it once completed but I'm sure I can squeeze it in somewhere. If nothing else it will give me something to spray some paint at to get a bit of practice etc. Count me in, I'll try and pick a kit up later if I wake up in time to get to the shop.
When are you thinking of a rough start date?

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Dam it, where's the other Dave's when you Ned them? Someone send up the Dave signal quick!
As to glue stringing the country I bet it was those non Dave's leaving the top off.... :) lol We could always get one kit between us and each glue a bit, post it on but with the way the post is for breaking things you'd never tell if the member before did it correct or not!

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Great stuff, got a good feeling about this. I managed to wake up in time and get to the shop. They even had a kit in the back so I've got it ready in my stash (where the wife won't spot it) and it's ready to go when Dave gives the word.
It's a good choice of kit by Dave, about £4, fairly clean lines without excessive flash, and mine looks in shape; unlike some dapol kits that warp in storage/sunlight. Of course we won't know the full story until we venture forth into the unknown lol

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Listen Norm, we're an endangered species OK? Which means we have to be sheltered in special enclaves like MRF so stop picking on us or the Dave preservation society will get you :)

Garfield is great but I swear "Simons cat " is taken from mine lol

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Been a bit busy just lately but I posted some initial observations a while ago about general kit quality and clean moulding lines. I'm thinking of maybe adding some internal walls as well so I picked up some plastic sheet at the same time as the kit.
Not tried a dry fit yet so it's interesting about the possible gaps. How big is the gap? Does it need a fillet or will filler do?

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Apologies for not being around much, truth be told my kit is still in the bag as I've been away on holiday, then busy catching up on work and real house stuff. I'll hopefully make a start on this later.
Have to say the work so far is great, I like Nicks garage and Stu's way of modifying the windows - thickness and rcessing hadn't occurred to me on this kit though I did do it with my card scratch built factory thing.
One thing I'm contemplating is the possibility of adding a loft conversion with a velux window. It could be a mistake and ruin the roof but might as well try lol

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Evening all, think I've got myself up to speed now and up to the same point as everyone else yesterday. I've debagged the kit and cleaned the mold lines up from the walls and windows; the window frames need thinning by rubbing with sand paper if only to remove the small dimples caused by the moulding. Not done this yet so they're unfitted at the moment. I've cut and fitted a 1st floor and walled in the garage in the lower floor - I might leave the doors open with a car being parked eventually. There's also some dividing walls in the upper floor so I can add some lights without everything being visible through the windows.
I originally cut the roof panel to insert inside and block light bleed, but a trial fitting is now making me think about doing a flat roof with retaining lip and maybe some air on units or something on top. There's a house not far from here like that so there is a prototype - thoughts on this approach?

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Hi, fully agree with the above in regards to the rendering cutaway, did I miss how you applied the render? Was it filler spread evenly over brick sheets or is the brick sheet just inset behind the original panels? I also like the surface outside the garage, any hints on how you did this?
Looks like it's coming together nicely Stu. How's everyone else getting along?
Personally I'm afraid everything is a bit on hold for me currently as I focus on real world houses, and my model stuff is packed up whilst I decorate. Therefore please don't wait for me, I want see how everyone else progresses and I'll try and catch up when I can.
Is anyone else planning on adding lights to their build, and if so how are you disguising the cable runs? False walls and ceilings, channeled plastic strip? I might go for the latter in a corner or something.

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Nice Stu, really good job on the water staining on the exterior render - what have you used to acheive that? Are those net curtains? I've tried previously but the gaps looked too big when I tried using old net curtains from round the house, what did you use?
I don't suppose you took step by step pics of the weathering as you applied did you? It's an area I'd particularly like to see explained on thread if you did.
So how's everyone else doing? Nick, have you done anymore with the external garage?
Mine is in a box currently hence my lack of progress as I'm a bit busy so my apologies for not keeping up or driving on with it. However, on the last pics I posted I was considering a flat roof with a lip; I'm thinking of some u shaped styrene section with mitred corners to form the lip. Pics and real world examples I've seen seem to have the lip between calf to knee height so I think 4-6mm seems right then drill drainage channels, which is why I'm interested in how Stu did the water stains.

Kind regards
Dave

· Registered
808 Posts
Not entirely sure what he point you're trying to make is John, was there one or was it just a passing idle comment?
The point of this build was to develop some participation and develop transferable skills whilst accumulating different approaches; In that context I don't see any value added by your passing comment on intended scale. That is of course unless you were planning on elaborating as to potential issues in the build that arise as a result of ambiguous scale?

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.