Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 19 Oct 2008, 17:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Ummm.... Nope!

BTW Ribblehead will soon be available as a kit if you are really keen on it... full, half and 14 size... Not cheap and still a lot of work to create the finished result.... But worth the effort.

Hi Richard,

By half size do you mean suitable for N Scale or just half of the length of yours ??

Cheers,

Trevor.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Like you zmil, I couldn't believe that my humble offering would be good enough to be included in the runners-up section, let alone joint winner. I will be very interested to see how Richard combines the four different suggestions.

A great idea Richard, which has obviously stimulated the old grey cells of quite a few of us. Just looking at the locations of the winners shows how global the MRF has become. It's the sharing of idea through this forum that helps all of us to improve our layouts, and competitions such as this are great for making us think outside the box of our own layouts.

Well done to all who entered and a big thank you to Richard.

Regards,

Trevor (aka Expat)

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Hi Richard and a belated Merry Christmas to you and yours.

The new office setup is very smart and the test track looks to be coming along nicely. Can't exactly identify which bit(s) of my design you have used but looking forward to seeing it completed. I am waiting to see pictures of your control panel before I post any pics of mine as yours will probably put my efforts to shame.

Many thanks for all your help and advice over the past year and I hope the New Year is good to you.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Very nice piece of work Richard. I like the overall shape and matching colour scheme. I like the look of those new LEDs. As you say though the design is very specific to your own requirements and would not necessarily be a standard to follow for a normal layout control panel.

Incidentally, I use 3mm acrylic sheet for my control panel face so can keep the bottom locking nut on the switches and get the serated edge locking washer on under the top nut.

I know what you mean abour heat shrink. I have used almost 10 metres in my control panel.

NOTE TO SELF:- I must get some pictures taken of the finished article and get them posted.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Hi Richard,

That track weathering method looks really good. Did you experiment with any other 'base' colours ??
I was thinking of trying beige as a base coat rather than the grey but am not sure if this would give comparable results. Looking at detailed pictures of actual track the general rail colour seems to more akin to beige with rust and dirt 'weathering' depending on how much TLC it has been given. That way I could maybe just use the wood stain on the sleepers with a bit of dry brushed rust and matt black on the rails themselves.

This is the sort of thing I mean.

Following your point mods I've had a look at my N Gauge points and I think I can certainly reduce the great 'blobs' of plastic which seem to be designed solely to hold the Peco point motor. As I'm using Seep, which are fixed independantly of the point, I can do away with most of that part and simply insert some ordinary sleepers in the spaces left. One question, however, can I remove the centre spring if using Seep motors? Don't think I can do much about the actual tie-bar though as it is pretty slim already . Maybe just cut off the ends in line with the sleepers.

Looking forward to seeing further progress on the test track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.