Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Premium Member
1,307 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 31 Dec 2008, 12:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***LOL. The chromed brass bezel forms a neat flange to sit on the panel face and the LED has a threaded shank and the usual lock washers and nut.

I prefer to just use the thread to screw them into the material of the 5mm MDF panel, however if you use a 3mm panel then just drill a clearance hole and use the washers/nuts.

Richard

I get the idea, I just looked at the Jaycar catalogue, item SL2616 - is that similar?

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
***Yes, its not so different.

Richard

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
***As promised, an update. Sorry its taken so long but its hard to find time for getting this project done as we have more than we can handle install wise at the moment... In fact if it wasn't that I really needed to be able to work on several sound files at once, I'd not have been able to justify the time spent so far!

The concept is to allow me to use several sound/loco programmers at the same time if needed (ESU, QSI and SPROG in this case), plus still be able to switch any part of the track to DC or DCC... this complex need is because sound programming can't be interrupted "mid project", and I wanted to still be able to help drop-in customers instantly. Previously, I'd have to cole a sound programme effot to do it, losing several hours work on occasion!

This is the reason why the control panel looks so complex... the rotary switches are for seelction of source, with the switch below them totally isolating that section and truning on connection to a DC controller via an overriding relay.

OK... progress: All the 16.5mm track is laid. The EM track which will be at high level will enter on an bridge over the 16.5mm at the extreme LHS, and run about 60% of the length before terminating at a multi-story warehouse....

The lower level will be primarily UK in feel at the LHS, but gradually become somewhat indeterminate as to prototype towards the right as my clients model many international prototypes.. so I don't want them to feel too isolated!

Where are we now: The biggest smile was plugging in the panel - several spaghetti bowls of wire, but everything worked first time... It has many input sources, NINE separate power supplies (3 = 1 for each computer interface, one for DC, one for DCC, one for tortoise, one for relays and one for leds... with a final one for accessory lighting! Most apart from the computer interface supplies which are all regulated 12v, and the powercab which had its own,
were just lying around - two from old wireless phones, and a couple from an old modem or something similar.

I thought I had a mysterious problem with one point, as the black 5 jumped each time it crossed it, but typically after fretting about the point for 20 minutes I checked the back to back of the tender wheels and they were nearly a full Milimetre too close - fixed that and things were smooth as silk!

All panel LEDs are our own products in a chromed brass bezel, with 300mm of wire and resistor already attached.

The points are modified from peco, with many mods as per earlier in the thread. Point motors are tortoise. Ballasting is with a mix of 75% N and 25% OO scale ballast. Ballast application was with my meths and water method, which worked superbly once again.

The loco's on the track are: One of my own - a black 5 with very nice ESU sound + working lights (The NRM limited edition model I think). The two US locos are both brass client locos, both with a soundtrax tsunami fitted for him. (I have no idea why he wanted sound in an unpainted brass loco... but who am I to question him).

You can't see them but sitting on the top of the track are a BR50, an NSW class 46, an A4 and a Brit, all having just been programmed and test run... The test track is truly working hard already.

Next step... install the EM tracks (you can see the wires ready for it) and get on with some scenery as time allows.... I will update you again as things progress

Kind regards

Richard

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
***Hi Zmil. Still going, but I'm very slow at the moment, as I'm buried under work with new products..

More soon though

Regards

Richard

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
***Next few steps are sort of important.... Taking it from a long wavy plank to a mini layout....

1/Add the scenery - this now has to include some semblance of roads to show my new NANOleds to advantage at the high level... So it may compromise the EM tracks... No big deal as I do have a separate EM and P4 test track (and G and N and 12mm for that matter)

2/Add the platforms and a station building of some kind... So I can install the Station lamps, and a goods shed at the far end for the Oil lamps.... An interesting catch 22 - with the platforms nice and close for the UK stock, US and EU stff will be banished to the outer main and outer sidings... Just no clearances for them at the platfrm edge.

3/Add my new AV recording setup so I can Utube at last - 2x High definition USB cams and two Samson condenser mics (without AGC and other interfering stuff so I can record sounds as they should be). I suspect two HD cameras will stress the video card nad perhaps the overall PCs ability to process so much video info somewhat - if anyone has any ideas as to what to install when I upgrade the computer to cope I'd be interested...

Don't expect it too fast though... Development will be snails pace I think!

regards

Richard

· Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Looking good Richard,

Did i spot an NCE powercab used for your bench .. is it the permanent cab control there ?

· Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Richard. Your gas lamps and cassetes were featured in Model Rail this month and both recieved favourable reviews.
Both products look great BTW!
You can have your thread back now
Steve

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
***Thanks Steve - I was aware of the BRM and Hornby Mag reviews but as usual MR didn't bother to let me know they were reviewing... so I had no idea they were doing it this month. Any chance of a Scan of the reviews? it'll be some weeks before the Mag lands here in AU

kind regards

Richard

QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 8 Oct 2009, 08:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry to hijack the thread.
Richard. Your gas lamps and cassetes were featured in Model Rail this month and both recieved favourable reviews.
Both products look great BTW!
You can have your thread back now
Steve

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
***Hi Nick

Yes, the NCE Powercab is about the ONLY system that will program all US decoders without a "power pax"booster, and it has the limit of possible functions etc, so its the unit of choice for all testing and dure DCC use on the test track..

Overall, control wise, the test track was built to let me do almost anything - I have the QSI programmer, SPROG, ESU programmer, the PowerCab and a DC controller all switchable and all connectable via the control panel rotaries.

regards

Richard

QUOTE (upnick @ 8 Oct 2009, 00:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking good Richard,

Did i spot an NCE powercab used for your bench .. is it the permanent cab control there ?

· Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 8 Oct 2009, 03:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Thanks Steve - I was aware of the BRM and Hornby Mag reviews but as usual MR didn't bother to let me know they were reviewing... so I had no idea they were doing it this month. Any chance of a Scan of the reviews? it'll be some weeks before the Mag lands here in AU

kind regards

Richard
Ill see what I can do!

· Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Oops, Sorry Richard it was the Hornby mag that had the reviews

My Bad...that'll teach me to post in the wee small hours!
Steve

· Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
**Hello Tim

Not at the moment as it simply proved to be way too much money for most... and took far too much time to prepare ready for sale.

Richard

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.