Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, thought it was about time I came out of the shadows an said hello,been signed up since Mar. 2007 and haven`t posted yet. Been mucking about with model railways for as long as I can remember and I am a member of 2 clubs one of which I help to run by being Vice Chaiman. So here goes I will push the button and see what this looks like in print?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE So here goes I will push the button and see what this looks like in print?
Looks ok to me. Now that you've broken the ice, I look forward to hearing more. As the vice chairman of a model railway club I am sure you must have some useful information or advice to impart from time to time.

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello John

I am from that area myslef. i grew up in gloucester. i left about 10 years ago when i left for university.

What do you model? (being from that area i give you about an 85% chance of being a GWR modeller!)

Which clubs do you belong to? i used to belong to the gloucester model railway glub over at elmscroft. there were 2 characters there that had a huge effect on my hobby. the first was alan butcher who showed me what could be done and encouraged me to have a go. the second was Rod pickering who introduced me to american modelling while the UK stuff was not up to scratch in the 90's. i really miss that club. it is by far the best i have attended. it was small but there was always something going on, there was always something you could help out with. it was always so freindly.

It all seems so long ago.

Anyway

Welcome to the forum.

Peter

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Phoenix. Welcome. I am a past Secretary and currently Editor at my local club and enjoy it immensely. Good to see another lurker come active!

Regards,
Les.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 4 Nov 2007, 10:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello John

I am from that area myslef. i grew up in gloucester. i left about 10 years ago when i left for university.

What do you model? (being from that area i give you about an 85% chance of being a GWR modeller!)

Which clubs do you belong to? i used to belong to the gloucester model railway glub over at elmscroft. there were 2 characters there that had a huge effect on my hobby. the first was alan butcher who showed me what could be done and encouraged me to have a go. the second was Rod pickering who introduced me to american modelling while the UK stuff was not up to scratch in the 90's. i really miss that club. it is by far the best i have attended. it was small but there was always something going on, there was always something you could help out with. it was always so freindly.

It all seems so long ago.

Anyway

Welcome to the forum.

Peter

Thaks for the reply Peter, but I hope your not a betting man. You stated the UK stuff was not up to much in th 90`s, imagine what it was like in the 70`s. Hence when I first visited Germany when I was 14 and was introduced to the German stuff thats where my interests lie.

Germany 1923 to 1935 DRG is where I finally settled and with a freind we are planning a HO layout complete with narrow gauge and a few other quirks aswell.

Gloucester Club at Elmscroft is the club I am a member of and you may also remember Harvey & Tom who operate "Windrush" these guys I help out at Exhibitions, Warley in December and the Cotswold Model Rail Show next weekend at the Thomas Keble school, Eastcombe Stroud where my layout "Zeitz will also be showing[reminds me to put a link in the Show section]

However I do have some bad news, Alan I did not know but Rod was a good freind who died suddenly about 18 months ago, which was a sad loss to us all, a great bloke with a terrific sense of humour.

Phonix Model Rail Club Gloucester is where I keep my layout and I am an officer for my sins, try www.phoenixmrcglos.co.uk for a look see

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello John

Thanks for the reply. I did know about Rod. i actually called him the day after he died and Liz answered the phone in tears. as far as foot-in-mouth moments go, that one was world class. As you say he was a great bloke with a sence of humor that nobody who met him will forget in a hurry.
I then called nigel Hawkins and was totally stunned when his wife answered the phone (i didnt realise he had remarried-another good foot-in-mouth moment!!). i popped down to gloucester the day before the funeral and went to the club. I didnt want to go to the funeral but i did want to chat to some people who knew him. it was good to see Nigel and Burt. i would have liked to have seen pat arnold but he wasnt there that evening.

I remember windrush. and i remember them trying to cut it in half after the preious owner had placed a point across the board join!!!! i must admit it is really not my kind of layout but i have a great fondness for great awdry. and i helped out in the early days of the new layout. great awdry was wonderfully simple. a lesson that i wish the people at my current club would learn!

Anyway, please say hello to them for mee (i understand nigel has moved now.)

Peter Morgan

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi John and welcome to the forum.

Nice to see ypu model DRG, it adds another variation to our ranks. I do a little continental modelling myself but mainly as the scenery man on our joint effort.

I used to have relatives in Norchard somewhere but haven't actually been to the forest for years.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts