Model Railway Forum banner

A question of loyalty

5K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  bangerblueed 
Loyalty. In the world in general it can be a virtue or misplaced. In modelling terms it's not so serious and the lines blur.
95% of my boxes are red so I think I fit Gary's criteria! (Digressing when some say they are blue box loyalists I know what they mean but it's diluted as Heljan and Vi and Dapol also use blue..hehehe. The boxes themselves become a selling advantage.)
Unlike Richard my loyalty was to Tri-ang and still is. Toys? Yes and toys won! They still do to some extent today; a fact that's incomprehensible to some.
That said, however, I couldn't afford to pay twice as much for British made so Hornby would have taken the Dublo/Wrenn route without question.
So my loyalty repays the fact that Hornby (todays incarnation) brought me into the hobby and if not UK made then still UK owned.
As I was born in the UK I can say this: Nationalistic loyalty as demonstrated by Continentals doesn't exist in Britain. The Europeans have paid a price for this recently and it will get worse in future. It's a form of protectionism by the populace but as the differential grows, more and more will succumb. In saying this Chinese manufacture is an expediency that will also probably change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.