Model Railway Forum banner

A question of loyalty

5K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  bangerblueed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Really this is a question that only the Hornby cognoscenti can answer.

Had Hornby continued with production in Britain their models may by now have doubled in price to around £160 however they would have had a "Made in Britain" stamp on the bottom and would have used British materials and been assembled by British employees.

Would you have continued to buy Hornby models had this happened?

Or would you have switched to buying equivalent Bachmann models retailing at around £80 with the "Made in China" stamp on the bottom?

Happy modelling
Gary

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Whether Hornby produce the best models in the world or not is not the question here however it is nice of our continental friends to say that.

It is a question of being prepared to pay the price for models "Made in Britain" and there is a sense that British folk are not if it means the price doubles for a product which can only be differentiated by the fact that is has been manufactured in Britain and not China. Clearly Bachmann sales would rise significantly if Hornby prices doubled as a result of "Made in Britain" manufacturing.

It could well be however that as far as exports go overseas customers would be prepared to pay more if the models were "Made in Britain" as the attitudes outside the UK seem somewhat different.

Happy modelling
Gary

#28 ·
Gary, if Hornby prices doubled because of " Made in UK" labels, to me it would mean that Bachmann gets my money if a similar loco/wagon/coach was about 50% the price of Hornby. Loyalty can only stretch as far as the dollar/pound stretches.
I am not really fussed where things are made - if I have a choice of two locos that I would like costing me $100 from China or only one loco at $100 from the UK, the China made units get my vote especially if they are similar in mechanical, electrical & detail.

#29 ·
Bit of a floored discussion really.

Even those companies that carry out final assembly in Europe will still source the majority of their components in the far east. None of the motors or other bits of electronics will be made here. The metal probably comes from the far east too, and who knows where the plastic granules are made. Print for the boxes and inserts will definitely be sourced in the far east. For the kind of product that we're talking about, the 'made locally' argument is a pretty thin one and boils down to a handful of assembly line workers jobs.

Even Dapol with their 'Made in Wales' aura state in their recent interview in MR that this only relates to final production and involves a limited number of workers.

A 'made in Britain' stamp would encourage me a lot less on these kind of goods than on -say- food, where a local production guarantee means a lot more than a few jobs, but also makes a difference to the sustainability agenda.

Much though we make dislike it, electronic goods and toys will move East for as long as the oil economy shall last... Or until the Chinese workers decide it's their time to have a slice of the cake and wages increase!

Walter

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let us remember that there is a thriving model railway industry in the UK.

Its not just about Hornby and Bachmann. There are probably many more employed in model railway manufacturing in the UK than Hornby ever employed!

If anglophiles want British manufactured product and nothing else then it is available.

We only have to look through the adverts of any magazine and the quality of product offered is absolutely amazing.

As long as we are prepared to pay £250 - £500 we can have virtually anything that Hornby and Bachmann offer made in Britain and with Marklin type build!

Happy modelling
Gary

#32 ·
For me wether the model comes in a red or a blue box is irrelevant it is the quality that matters and if it is a type of wagon or loco that i want although i must confess to having examples of nearly every BR diesel that is available RTR (except rats & Mcrats)

I personally see nothing wrong with paying up to £200 for a model IF it really is as good as it is possible to produce given model limitations however i would balk at the idea of paying £160 for a flawed model just because it was made in britain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.