Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all my good and electrically inteligent friends!
Yes I know I am a complete moron who knows nothing about the mysteries of electricity, and obviously I don't know much about good track planning either!
But, what I have arrived at is basically a loop the ends of which come together at a double slip ( the opposite two ends feed two tracks into a terminus)
Of course i blindly conected it all with metal rail joiners!
I have now re-fitted it with insulated joiners, but now I need to wire it so it will work.
So if there is anyone who can give the most simple basic discription of what i need to do, I would be eternally grateful.
And if it is possible to set the correct polarity and points at the same time, in an easy to understand way, then this would be most welcomed too.
Thank you dear friends for your kind understanding.
Duztee.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Duztee @ 29 Jan 2008, 19:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But, what I have arrived at is basically a loop the ends of which come together at a double slip ( the opposite two ends feed two tracks into a terminus)
Of course i blindly conected it all with metal rail joiners!
I have now re-fitted it with insulated joiners, but now I need to wire it so it will work.
Duztee.

***DC or DCC layout? This makes a difference to the answer.

basically, the slip should have all 8 rails isolated and the slip have its own two feeders. These are from the same "Bus" as the terminus.

DC and DCC are wired differently. For DCC the loop polarity us changed instantly under the moving loco and you'll not notice it happening: For DC the exit track (rest of the layout) needs changing while the train is in the loops.

Both are no big problem

If its a DCC layout you need a reversing loop controller OR a MASTERswitch PLUS (it works with the point motor & has 2x DPDT changeover relays on it so it can handle frog polarity AND the reversing changeover at the same time) or a DPDT switch on the point motor....

If its a DC layout you need a MASTERswitch PLUS (it works with the point motor & has changeover relays on it) or a DPDT switch on the point motor....

When we know the train power, I can give a precise answer with diagramme.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rchard,
Thank you for taking the time to impart your wisdom to a fool.
I am operating a DCC system (far less complicated wiring! )
The slip is an Insufrog type.
Duztee

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Duztee @ 29 Jan 2008, 20:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Rchard,
Thank you for taking the time to impart your wisdom to a fool.
I am operating a DCC system (far less complicated wiring! )
The slip is an Insufrog type.
Duztee

***The only fools are those who don't ask questions Dutzee..... We all need advice at one time or aonther. A wise man asks and gets it right first time as a result.

Anyway....

If the least complicated wiring is desired, then just use a DCC auto reverser. Its a little more cost but dead simple, easy to wire in and very reliable.

Simply connect all the rest of the layout to the bus normally, including the insulated double slip.

Take the wires that will feed the loop from the bus and connect them to the two input terminals of the auto reverser.

take all feeds that will go to any track that forms part of the loop from the two outputs of the auto reverser. (including any sidings in the loop/that branch from the loops)

As to brand, I'd personally NOT use Lenz or MRC (Gaugemaster) reversers - they are relatively slow and can chatter under some circumstances. I much prefer the electronic type such as the OG-AR from DCC specialties in the USA which I believe will be available from several UK retailers. (This company also makes reversers for other companies -all work very well)

Kind regards

Richard

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard,
Once again kindest regards for your time.
I have read the blurb on Auto reversers and agree that it apears so simple even I can probably get it right!
and it is surely easier than making a major track re-plan.
have gone with your advice and ordered the AR version.
thanks once more for making my simple life simple again!
duztee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts