Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 937 Posts

· Why is'nt it easy !!
2,154 Posts
Some lovely detail there larnrod.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you, Anthony, but I am still only learning! Scalescenes got me back into the hobby & I have used Railwayscenics and Wordsworth stuff as well. Having learnt some techniques there I then added some ideas from John Ahern's book & have been scratchbuilding as well. Nice to be at it again - I used to build things for aircraft & AFV dioramas as well when I put the railway away.

I am working on the principle that I can't get the railway out an awful lot, but I can give thirty minutes or an hour at a time at a time to add a little extra to the buildings which will eventually go on it. This way both The Small Controller & I are happy* - he because he can drive trains, I because I get the fun of building. That's why I'm not too worried if it's a bit trainset-like!

*So is The Long Haired Contoller as she knows I'm not in the pub!

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi Iarnrod,

I agree the detail is excellent, if you keep all those half & one hour slots going, you will have some really quality buildings to add to your railway. Also IR junior will enjoy it even more I am sure. The internal detail even when mailny hidden we always be spotted by someone for sure.

Great stuff, glad the bug has bitten again, Cheers,

Norm

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks, Norm.

For completeness here are the last two stages of the pub I was building:

I'm sure the people of the village will be delighted they have a station at last!

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Couple more of the station house:

Had a bit of spare time last night, and thanks to the gift of several reels of copper tape and a bag of LEDs (all "scrap" from the workshop & enough to keep me in stock for years) spent some time illuminating the ticket office module of the Scalescenes Medium Sation Building. First the interior (tape etc to be painted out & some posters/furniture added):

Here's the view from the outside. Again there is a bit of light-leakage because I have not yet glued the modules together. Also posters, fire buckets, benches, advertising etc to be added:

The small Controller has been fascinated by there being a lavatory at the station, so had to make sure that was usable in the dark by drilling a hole through the end wall & inserting an LED:

Finally some ridge tiles I have been making. While I love the kits I'm getting the urge to gussy them up a bit & make them truly mine. These are made of good quality writing paper (Conqueror-type) folded & glued, then the holes punched out with a leather punch. For the perforated ones I then made the rounded tops with a pair of nail scissors which took some time!

I then drew the lines between the tiles with a soft pencil before giving a light wash with watercolour from a tin that I had kept in a drawer from childhood. Amazing how much cash it's possible to save by recycling & going through boxes in the attic:

Larger pictures here. Some misgivings about posting them as they show up wonky modelling, glue marks & so on!

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi again Iarnrod,

That pub looks well worth a visit - oh hold on its a model. Really great job you have done there. As for the ridge tiles they must have taken a "long long" time but again a fantastic detail. What is it about toilets & model railways, always a centre of interest LOL !

Great stuff, keep up the good work, Cheers,

Norm

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Norm-

The pub is The Bell Inn at Aldworth, Berks. It's on a big hill above Goring & Streatley on God's Wonderful Railway. Hence my comment about the village getting a railway - the hill is so steep it would need a funicular or cable car!

If ever you're int he area try the place out. It is, in my fairly educated opinion, one of the best pubs in the county and completely unspoilt - elements remain unchanged since the mid-19th Century.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Have now realised I can post at a better size from Picasa after all. Therefore for Norm here are some repeats.

First the pub again:

The pub complete:

Sadly I think I trashed the roof with the application of moss. As there are certain liberties taken with the model (for example the lead flashing made of tinfoil covered in Humbrol Gunmetal paint and a couple of later, early 20th Century additions left off) I may just cover the thing completely in lichen. This was only a rough first go, anyway. I need to put a box of books in the porch to represent those that are always on sale for the local Air Ambulance!

Here are the roof tiles in more detail:

Before fixing them in place they are straightened and the long pieces at the end cut down.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Signal box update. As my CSgt at RMAS used to say, "I left you in this position", or thereabouts:

Then all complete, bar the roof:

I intend to replace the windowsill on the lower chamber as it didn't come out how I wanted. Even the most myopic will note that the front of the box is slightly bowed outwards and the chimney in two different kinds of brick paper. I have my suspicions that my card was just marginally too thick for the kit. The former problem was sorted by a fairly radical hacking with a penknife, the latter will be with some weathering.

Then, of course, I wanted to illuminate the thing. Originally I had planned to put an LED on the inside of the window frame, but then I discovered copper tape & how it could be hidden:

Last night I touched out the tape with grey paint, tonight will be tiling so like the best potboilers to be continued...

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So here we go, the final stages. First finishing off the roof:

Then putting it all together It still needs some fettling (if that's the right term I've picked up here):

Let there be light!

And why I wanted to light it in the first place (sorry about pic quality):

My favourite picture of the lot, ironically taken as one final try after realising it was nearly time for bed and nearly not bothering:

If I do this again I may look at the kit that includes an instrument shelf (I considered scratch building one, but thought it would obscure the rest of the interior too much) and also take a bit more care over the thickness of the card. I'm also likely to replace the bargeboards with some Evergreen strip as these suffered from a knife slip as the recycled card I'd used was a bit slippery.

I think I may put some of my home made roof tiles on to individualise the kit. I'm also working up some gutters & downpipes from Evergreen tubing & strips, but this has proved very fiddly & while the styrene I bouts is true to scale it looks a little too delicate.

Thanks for looking!

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi Iarnrod,

EXCELLENT - thats all needs to be said in my opinion.

But, thanks for the extra pub pics, I think I know where you mean now in terms of the pub, as have been to Goring a few times. But next time will give that venue a try - rude not too after all LOL ! I actually like the pub roof, I dont think you have "spoilt" it at all, just have a look at other tiled roofs with mose / lichen growing, just like that, no pattern to it at all.

As for the signal box, that last "tired" image through the window, armchair, paer, etc - fantastic. Also the lever frame of course.

If this is "early" learning curve work - Pendon here you come. Really well done. Look forward to your next exploits.

Cheers,

Norm

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks again, Norm. What I meant about the mossy roof is that I seem to have made rather straight sweeps of the PVA & flock so it's all a bit regular.

As for Pendon it's not so far from home & I went recently for a lecture about miniature building construction. Things have changed there since I was a nipper and now I am old enough to appreciate the skills of the modellers becoming one of them has to be just a pipe-dream, I fear.

It's actually fairly straightforward to build & customise the kits with a bit of patience (something I'm lacking a bit - I always want to get the model ready to show off or for The Small Controller to play with hence some of the flaws); with a bit of work and good brick papers the scratchbuilt pub is possible for anyone & bear in mind I made that from four photos, five minute pacing out and my memory, drawing it freehand onto the paper before cutting & gluing.

It's the idea of building something without all the prefabricated papers & bits like the Pendon people I find mind-boggling. Still, retirement is in about thirty years so here's hoping my eyesight stays!

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Had some time last night to do some work on the ground floor interior of the sation house:

· Registered
1,008 Posts
QUOTE (Iarnrod @ 14 Nov 2012, 16:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can handle deviation, hesitation & even repetition, Keith, so thanks for the advice! All my lenses are Canon Ultrasonics and I've tested them on the modern Canon bodies so I know they work.

The 35-80 is a bit sluggish as it's an early model; the rest work fine. I may still buy the EOS 1100D with the 15-55mm as it seems to cover, with the other lenses, a very wide range of what I might want to photograph.

I like the look of the EOS M to save weight & space. However at the moment it's waaaay too expensive & I couldn't cope without a viewfinder.

All the EOS lenses are compatable with eachother (I had 3 from my old EOS 500N, the go nicely onto the 600D,which is the semi-pro version, the 1100D is a very nice piece of kit, light and friendly, and converting between the 35MM and Digi formats of the EOS is simple ( i didnt even need to read the instructions) also the view finder/screens are excellent on all of the digi EOS's) sorry to hijack the thread again, i love the interior of the buildings though!!

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks for the tip, seanhpw!

The interiors are from the Scalescenes furniture & lineside junk set, Norm.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks very much, Ian. I use Pritt Stick of various sizes for laminating the paper & card, Evostick for the more detailed work (for example joining the chair arms, seats & backs) and GS Hypo cement for glazing work.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have a long time siting on the motorway every day, so thoughts often turn to how to make things. Came up with an idea, and because I had an hour free tonight started making up some guttering & downpipes for my buildings:

· Why is&#39;nt it easy &#33;&#33;
2,154 Posts
Oh you have way to much thinking time on the motorway ......

Mind you I have the same problem but pass Rails of Shefield way to often ....

21 - 40 of 937 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.