Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a sad day when after returning to the hobby after many years, I go out to do some research at my local railway station to take some pics that I am bluntly told to put my camera away as I am not allowed to take photo's in the station without permission. I understand in today's climate precaution's are necessary but I feel it's all getting a bit out of hand.

You can go to Google maps and get aerial views and with their new system can actually have a virtual walk along the streets beside the railway station. I'm sure anyone with evil intent could glean enough information from this before actully taking any pics themselves. I mean where will it all end?

G

·
Hiya

The station office can grant you permission, in the past when I have been asked to stop taking photo's they have always allowed it on asking.

HTH

Jim

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There has been a great deal of trouble since privatisation and particularly since the terrorist attacks on the tube and bus. However both Network Rail and the British Transport Police have guidelines for both enthusiasts and staff over photography at stations. (Sorry - can't find my copies at the moment to tell you exactly where they can be picked up from!) Note that this is when you are on the station - if you are taking pictures from a public place, such as a road overbridge then NR and the BTP cannot stop you taking pictures from there.

One important point in the guidelines is NOT to use flash at any time.

The problem seems to be that the staff on the ground are sometimes poorly or never briefed about the available national guidelines. If you are challenged on a railway station, the person challenging you is obliged by the Railway Bye-laws to give you their name and position if you ask them. If they start getting rattled by this ask to see the station manager immediately!

'The Railway Magazine' and 'Rail' are among several railway journals who regularly report on problems experienced by enthusiasts in pursuit of their hobby. And it's not only enthusiasts - there have also been reports of professional rail staff working for one organisation being prevented from carrying out their proper work due to over-zealous station staff in another organisation! The problems have got to the state where MPs are now getting involved and may be asking questions in Parliament.

Regards,
John Webb

PS I was in St Pancras Station on Tuesday afternoon this week - people were taking pictures all over the place including myself and there were no challanges from anyone that I saw!

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Its not just stations that are affected. I worked at the western docks a couple of summers ago as security at Hoverspeed, Punters were not allowed to take photos whilst queing in their cars to board the seacat, or whilst in the buildings where the concessions and toilets were. As all the "sensitive" stuff went on behind the scenes and out of sight of the travelling public, none of us could see the sense in the rules, but as they had come from up high we had to enforce them and I had many a conversation with the public over the daftness of the rules. I eventually gave up and formulated a standard responce. Which was "I don't make the rules, and however daft they seem I am obliged to enforce them!"
Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Im afraid that is a sign of the times,I had to pay £20 for a dvd of my daughters school play because no cameras were allowed to be used,tis indeed sad times.
PS,when we got home we had to sit through over an hour of this play again just to see her for a few mins,good grief!!

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Mobile phones are now banned from public swimming pools and sports centers round here as they have cameras these days. I also know of a school that insisted that all mobiles were switched off and handed to staff for safe keeping during the schools sports day...its getting ridiculous!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
This country is going (if not gone) B####Y PC raving MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind regards

Paul

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Hiya

I am also a professional photographer so i go many places take many pictures always for sales etc.
I just ignore them ......... havent had any problems yet, in fact i tend to get helped where ever i go
even being allowed to stand in between tracks to take a photograph from a different angle although that was
in wales so no electric rail..................

I always ask first - seems to get me an awful lot further.......

Nikki

·
Registered
285 Posts
More seriously - whilst it is all obviously bl**dy mad - does anyone have any lnks to official guidance which we can print out take with us etc. to get permission and reduce likelihood of a bust up with a jobsworth.

Thanks

TimP

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 2 Apr 2009, 12:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I always ask first - seems to get me an awful lot further.......

And of course being just slightly better looking than most of the other forum members I've met

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i am actually under the impression that you are perfectly entitled to take pictures on a railway station providing you dont use a tripod or flash and you have a ticket to travel from that station.

Dont do stupid stuff like try it at one of the big london terminuses. lets face it, that would just be plain daft.

Peter

·
Registered
101 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 2 Apr 2009, 12:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i am actually under the impression that you are perfectly entitled to take pictures on a railway station providing you dont use a tripod or flash and you have a ticket to travel from that station.

Dont do stupid stuff like try it at one of the big london terminuses. lets face it, that would just be plain daft.

Peter

Why would that be daft? These are public places. Britain is not the sort of country which arrests you if you start taking photos at airports and railways stations, or at least it never was. My advice is to ALWAYS CHALLENGE anyone who says you cannot do this and ask them not only for full ID but to explain on exactly what grounds they are trying to forbid you going about your lawful business. Most of the time, when you are told by a pompous official that you are not allowed to do this or that, 'in the interests of security' they are either lying or mistaken. And that, sadly, often goes for the police as well these days ...

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goodness gracious, I go out for a few hours to take the cat to the vet and there is all these replies.

I am very glad to see there are people who think like myself and think it's a step too far. Even on the radio coming home I heard tan advert about "The Anti_terrorist Hotline". If you see anyone suspicious please call this number, even if it's your granny!!

I did however get some photographs from a nearby car-park which gives excellent views of the station alnost as good as being in the station itself. However In retrospect I realize I must have been caught on CCTV taking the photos and caught walking back to my car with the Licence Plate clearly visible --------

Oh Oh there's someone knocking at the door --see you all when I get out!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 2 Apr 2009, 12:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And of course being just slightly better looking than most of the other forum members I've met

Regards

Are you implying that looks helps to get us what we want, and tht other members of this forum might be challenged because of thier appearence? A bit harsh isn't it?(and with a slight hint of vanity possibly?)

·
Registered
350 Posts
There are a lot of over zealous people around trying to enforce imaginary laws. This is the government response to a petition on the subject:

(See: http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17959)

There are no legal restrictions on photography in public places. However, the law applies to photographers as it does to anybody else in a public place. So there may be situations in which the taking of photographs may cause or lead to public order situations, inflame an already tense situation, or raise security considerations. Additionally, the police may require a person to move on in order to prevent a breach of the peace, to avoid a public order situation, or for the person's own safety or welfare, or for the safety and welfare of others.

Each situation will be different and it would be an operational matter for the police officer concerned as to what action if any should be taken in respect of those taking photographs. Anybody with a concern about a specific incident should raise the matter with the Chief Constable of the relevant force.

I've made copies of this that I keep in my camera bag when I'm in the UK.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I once took pictures at Leytonstone tube station and was told to delete all pictures on my camera.What else can you do waiting for an half an hour late train ( apart from visting the model shop within 5 minutes walking distance from the station
). Although I was allowed to take some brilliant pictures of St Pancras in progress, and was even allowed on all the platforms for better angles.
Someone on the forum-can't remember who- once said he had been asked not to take pictures because a military train was going to go through the station. This gave him ample time to go to a bridge crossing the railway some way from the station and so get an even better view!
So, the conclusion for me is that it isn't all bad when they say No, and that not everyone even mentions it.
P.S. During my recent stay in Hungary (the Hotel rattled evry hour or so when the train passed) I took hundreds of photos and nobody complained. I would have posted them here afterwards, but on returning I found that both the memories cards had been completely wiped!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (shedmad66 @ 2 Apr 2009, 16:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you implying that looks helps to get us what we want, and tht other members of this forum might be challenged because of thier appearence? A bit harsh isn't it?(and with a slight hint of vanity possibly?)
Harsh but completely true. Why do half a dozen men who would otherwise laugh or ignore a man/ugly woman rush to help a pretty girl pick up some papers that have blown away in the wind? Until you stop and talk to someone how else can you assess them but by their appearance?

P.S. Why do I hold my papers lightly on windy days?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Ah! MikeD's beaten me to it to give the link to the NR Guidelines.

We did have a similar round of discussions just about a year ago (see this topic) when there was a electronic petition on the No.10 website - but that closed in September last year.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE During my recent stay in Hungary (the Hotel rattled evry hour or so when the train passed) I took hundreds of photos and nobody complained. I would have posted them here afterwards, but on returning I found that both the memories cards had been completely wiped! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Obviously the Hungarians have a "zapper" which cleans the cards when you leave the country - bulk erase is so much more efficient than having officers instructing offenders delete photos as they are taken.

Seriously though, having lost three years' worth of photos recently, I know how not having a record of your trip feels.

David

1 - 20 of 41 Posts