Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 426 Posts

· C55
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ow do Iarnrod,

QUOTE I get back from a ride with the Sithe Dine Hinds and come across this foul calumny. What makes ye think Army officers speak like this?

Was in Berlin for a while - wife had job in Brigade HQ ... she also got pressed volunteered into the General's wife's little group of activists .......
....... she answered the phone one day with a full on mickey take "Air hair lair", thinking it was another RAF wife - friend of hers .........
........... the General's wife ..
..... yep, on the other end of the phone ............ didn't notice ..........

It's probably best not to go into the tea-break with Patio Set, complete with umberella and Mess Steward ............ ............. or the Brigade RSM - on a Queen's Birthday Parade practice - being told NO! ,,,,,,
)))))))) ............. ..... I said probably best NOT to .................... ................. but on both occasions there were a large number of Army SNCO's holding their breath, trying not to show any expression whatsoever ..........

QUOTE I'll horsewhip you on the steps of your club,

I'll thank you for no more airing of your N'Army pleasures on this site ...........

J

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Ah, if you are/were a blue job all is understood

Love your layout, though. Something like this could be a way for me to have an excuse to build yet more things

· C55
2,694 Posts
Ow do all,
Back to the job in hand .........

I needed some form of selection for the running order of the trains on the puzzle ......... wanted to keep it totally random ....... so ........ lacking a Rupert to ask to name his favourite trucks in order ......
..... I am going for picking a set number [ from 4 - 8 ]of cards out of a bag/box/container of some sort ...........

Took some photographs of the trucks and printed them out on photo paper ......... not very long lasting idea .... especially as the printer is ink-jet ....... started to look for someone local who could laminate them for me ....... ......... THEN CAME CHRISTMAS ........................ some very kind person bought my Mini Driver a Hello Kitty Cool Cardz [ yes - I can spell ..
]

Cool Cardz .... kids write messages for other kids on little 2" x 1 1/2 " cards [ Lilac colour with "COOL" written on it ] ........ then there is a plastic pocket with a sticky inner surface on one side ......... [ still with me? ] .... the inner sticky surface has a plastic covering [ Blue with White arrow ] ........

pay attention at the back there, or you will end up getting one of your little digits stuck in a pocket .......

the card is placed between the 2 sides of the pocket and held in place while the covering over the sticky side is removed ........ fold sticky side upwards [ up not down - or will stick to wrong bits ] against card and opposite side and finish off by scrolling the thing in the little pink press .... job done ........ ............ ................ I did tell you to pay attention ..... here is a picture to assist those who were still sleeping at the back ....

DSCN2405 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

On the pink/black box are Lilac card
- plastic pocket with blue with white arrow covering to the sticky side still in place
- some finished cards are also on the box top
- photographs of 2 more trucks are waiting to be cut to size at the top left of the picture
- also large restorative mug of tea ..... for assisting recovery from having to keep telling those at the back to pay attention .....

Next photo is photograph of truck cut to size and placed inside the pocket ...... STAND FAST THAT MAN! ..... WAIT FOR IT! ....... there is a very narrow strip of sticky where the left edge of the photograph is pushed .......... it holds the card/photograph nicely in place whilst the blue plastic covering is peeled away in the direction of the arrow ......... lift the exposed sticky to the other bits ....... put into the pink roller to expell any air etc .......... job done ........

DSCN2409 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Job done .........

DSCN2411 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Iarnrod; - Blue job Ret'd - very much enjoyed working with the N'Army - didn't come across many Ruperts 'though ......

J

· Premium Member
6,313 Posts
Could of made them........... "Red Arra's" ..............matey........

· C55
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ow do

Iarnrod

QUOTE Something like this could be a way for me to have an excuse to build yet more things

Just like making sandwiches ......... also quicker and much lighter than conventional ...... easy to keep moving out of SWIMBO reach ......
not difficult to wire too, as can easily be inverted .......

going to make background removable for storage .... WAIT FOR IT THAT MAN!! .... later ......

dt

QUOTE Could of made them........... "Red Arra's" ..............

would have done ...... but wanted them to appear in different order each time ..... and didn't want them all to look the same .......

wanted them close formated only at the end of the game ......... pay attention dt ........

J

· C55
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ow do all,
Found a little time ......... thought it was about time to start on decorating the puzzle ..... where to start .... just came up against a brick wall .....
...... wait a minute, that'l do .........

I had planned a wall round the Shunting and slot in backgrounds for what's over the wall .... town buildings ....... country scene ............ mixed houses and fields ..
........... Army Barracks ......
...... well ... why not, the RE used to play trains with some lovely stuff ......... ............... .............. OK drifting off here a bit - back OT

I thought it might be Ok to take a photograph of a wall, tile it with random rotations, scale it, print it, slice it up .... BINGO ..........
so easy to sit and dream up these ideas .....

Assumed bricks are 9" long ....... at this point I am ducking for the inevitable correction from LF&T, the whom has apparently got some sort of GCSE, Level 1 in drawin' sheds .......
.... Eerrrr Ooops ...... have a look at his drawings here .... http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...15&start=15 ..... brilliant and .. apparently .. done whilst flying in the wrong aeroplane, on a small Mediterranean Island way back at the beginning of WWII ......... know where LF&T is .. now where was I .........

Oh yes 9" ...... bricks ... what else at my age .... divide by 76 and then I can scale the picture of the wall before printing ........
Well divide 90" by 76 and then count 10 bricks on the print out ..... I might have a vague chance to measure that ...... quick ratio calc .... which dt will explain in full ...... pay attention at the back there dt, or you will have to sit at the front of the class again .....

Spent a short while at the computer and printed off the result ...........
..... cut it up, spray with fixer and laid it against the wall to appreciate my playing about work .......

DSCN2413 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Oh dear ..... never mind the colour .... it's dingy dark .... it's a nice looking wall but .. yuk where it is
.... instant Mini Driver rejection and quite right too ........ .......... back to the computer

what is on the screen bears no resemblance to what is printed ..... nothing new there then .... so ........ I opened the picture in a simple photo Program and played about with the colour, contrast and brightness settings .......... got a couple of close ones but soon worked out I needed an ordered set of swatches to compare and set against the buildings ............

DSCN2421 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I wrote the settings on each one and laid them for comparison ...... put the buildings against the swatches .... eventually chose one to compare with the first, printed and sliced it up and laid it to compare with the original ....

DSCN2428 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Closer

DSCN2427 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The colours are not right with the flash photograph but it can be seen how much the brightness is more in line with the buildings ......... it doesn't show but the first print is really quite blue

all that remains is to find a suitable glue which will allow a little adjustment before setting ...... oh yes .. and .. anyone got any ideas about how to make a capping stone top to the wall???? ..

J

· C55
2,694 Posts
Ow do,
I've been considering the wall and come to a momentous decision ... I'm probably going about it in the wrong order ....

If I do the wall first, then I am likely to get paint mud on it when I do the yard at the back.

Problem there is that I fancy putting Ground, Shunting Signals in. My guess is that the board needs the holes prepared for them before painting too.

Found a couple of sites with them and thought the CR Signals looked the part and were working ones too. ..... saves me getting blank signal faces and fitting LEDs to them, so I sent for a couple.
has anyone any experience of these items?

I also want 3 of the Buffer Stop lights .... can anyone remember where they were from?

J

· Premium Member
6,313 Posts

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi Julian,

At this rate you will be getting answers / suggestions on brickwork bonds, from Strecher, to English to Flemish, to English Garden Wall, not the mention the B***ard bonds in between LOL !!!

There was a post from a new member to the forum Laura78 (* I think was the name), with this link - http://paperbrick.co.uk/ it may be of interest, from a very very quick look the other day, it would at least be "your own" brickwork !!!!!

The buffer stop lights I know Guagemaster do a version of, with either just the upright lights (2No) or with the blank / black buffers to paint.

Best of luck, Cheers,

Norm

PS. The "old" two Ronnies plays on words, take some beating in my book !!!!! (Fork handles !!!!!)

· C55
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ow do all,
Thank you dt and Norman, for the comments and all those links .. although QUOTE At this rate you will be getting answers / suggestions on brickwork bonds, from Strecher, to English to Flemish ... ... ...
...there would be a considerable risk of blistering accusations of ignorance from the last Northern Relic err dusty out of date shed designer huh hum Architectural Genius ..
.. from the Costa Del Tyne ....

Postman arrived today,
with CR lights, ground shunting signals ...... My
they are absolutely tiny Oops I mean ... tiny. I will try to post a photograph in the morning, in the daylight .. they do look good

ttfn
J

· Premium Member
6,313 Posts
QUOTE they are absolutely tiny.Oh, you gone n-gauge overnight then.?

· C55
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Wow, it's Christmas .....

Postperson Paula stuffed something nice into my letterbox today .....
........ .......... there's something not quite right there .....

The first was just some bits of old rock and lumps of concrete .....
Just what I was looking for, once I got the rocks to stay put for a while.....

DSC_0647 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr
Stone capping courtesy of dt ... to be honest I thought they might be too big but not now I've seen them in place and they are just the right textures. Big thanks go to dt ..
[ not sure I should have used that Emoticon ..
]

Also had did some photographs of a little thing very close up, as a special request for Norm and dt ..... wait for it .....

DSC_0649 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Steady in the ranks there .... GO.....

DSC_0648 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr
Got 3 of them, 2 x white /white red and 1 x red, red/ white,white. That will be 2 for the points and the other for stopping Basra from going to the wall at the Headshunt end ....

I'm going to have "fun" trying to connect wires that thin .......

Got some more bits but they will have to wait until tomorrow as SWMBO needs feeding and it doesn't do to delay at this time of night .....

ttfn
J

· Destroyer of Penguins
1,405 Posts
Hej

Nice layout, cool concept, but that landie looks all wrong.
You need to rip off the canvas, mount a gpmg on the back and add 4 rock apes with dodgy cammo cream and dessy wellies in it and cover it with scrim and netting.
Mount it on two wheels as if its driver has just realised he has reached the end of the runway, and it will look cool as mustard... Trust me.

Roger the cat , ooover an oot.

Regards

Kal

· Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Do like the look of your ground signals could use some of them ,were did you get them from CR signals

Dave

· Premium Member
6,313 Posts
QUOTE Stone capping courtesy of dt ... to be honest I thought they might be too big

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi Julian,

Yep thats small ! Also fairly non forgiving it seems, turn or ...... leave it to the Grim Reaper !!! Would be interesting to hear Bear's views on that ?????

However, I am somewhat dissapointed, I was thinking of "traditional" ground signals LOL !!! (Must be an age thing !!!!!).

Thanks for the pics' tho,

Cheers,

Norm

· C55
2,694 Posts
QUOTE David Todd
Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Post #56

................dt............

Stone capping courtesy of dt ... to be honest I thought they might be too big

This angle was the one I was a bit dubious about before they actually got here ..... I like the look of them ...

DSC_0645 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

QUOTE ....... and add 4 rock apes with dodgy cammo cream and dessy wellies .......
Aaaagghhhhhh .....
.... letting them loose around trains and Shunting is a bit risky.
Much safer to leave them in the Bundoo, in holes in the ground.

Always liked working with Crab-fat soldiers ... very sociable after work in the Bar too.
In Narn Iron, they used to find excuses in the conversation to eject people through the window [ about 8/10 ft above the ground ] .... you knew if they liked you, as they would open the window first .....
I always managed to avoid the "treat" but it did take an awful lot of fast talking, until they forgot what it was they were going to do ......

The Landy is really only there to keep the paper bricks against the wall ..... interesting thought though ... CO down for an inspection ..... ?

QUOTE ....could use some of them ,were did you get them from CR signals
Hi Dave, that's correct. I'm not sure quite how they get the LEDs into that tiny black bit at the top.

Their sweat-shop must have much smaller midgets than LF&T has oop naath. He will be out there trawling the back streets, as I type, trying to upgrade downsize his midget-force ...

ttfn
J

· Premium Member
6,313 Posts
Only ones I could find in the Bundoo, @ short notice...............

· Registered
1,294 Posts
QUOTE (trainsntrees @ 16 Jan 2013, 22:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice layout, cool concept, but that landie looks all wrong.
You need to rip off the canvas, mount a gpmg on the back and add 4 rock apes with dodgy cammo cream and dessy wellies in it and cover it with scrim and netting.

You'd need to build an EFI for it to guard

41 - 60 of 426 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.