Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If the mods are around I did this by accident....sorry.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi Hairy

Where abouts in Perth do you live? I live North side, Padbury. I thought you were from the UK. Nice layout looks verygood. You got plenty of space to work with.

The building in the back ground what is it?

m

·
Registered
894 Posts
Perth?............I live in Manchester, UK, Zmil is the Perth chappy.

Anywho, the station building is three of the hornby plastic buildings found in the London road terminus set (because of this they currently say 'DERBY' on two of them!!!!!) plus a waiting room building tagged on the end. The stairs leading from them to the Platforms are a kit bash of two Hornby footbridges (the green no glue needed type).

more pics of the layout:

Bourne station (village on the outskirts of Ablingham)

A closer view of Ablingham

Special Delivery!

The light maintenance shed

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks, I'll try to post a complete plan in the next couple of days. It is about 14ft at its longest by 10ft at its widest, but as it is based in the loft it is an irregular shape due to the loft hatch being in the corner.

It may be hard to make out but this view is of a full length 2+8 MML HST (as used during 2004) entering the station.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Outside the station

the platform side, still need to move the 'DERBY' boards

Youths have left their mark

some old ballast wagons

My 319 has a stretch of its legs

A small section of my mid level fiddle yard

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ben....sorry about the wait on the track plan, can't seem to get the xtrkcad to work properly, must be a duff version I downloaded........

In the meantime, an American car importer has set up shop......

and a pic of the crossovers into my fiddle yards..........

and another HST enters Ablingham....

Apologies for blurriness....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally, the layout plan (not to scale):

Red is station buildings, purple is covered or non scenic track, blue is platform, pink is footbridge, green is railway buildings, grey is level crossing, turquoise is power feeds and brown(ish) is tunnel mouths

And some more pics:

A DRS 66 passes the signal box

Some tank wagons

A special visits

While Santa waits for his train

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the lighting isn't great for photos, but when you are actually there, there is enough.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Some previously unseen photos (for this site atleast!)

My current, not entirely related, project moves on....

A busy day for 67s! A pair of 67s replace a 66 on a coal train as another waits to leave the yard with a rake of Mk2s for storage. Two further 67s can be seen reversing onto a train on the lower fiddle yard.

A sneaky view of an Arriva liveried 150.

In this reality some of the 50s were kept for the express trains on this route. 50015 'Valiant' waits in the background as a 150 prepares to leave.

This is a view of what I call the upper fiddle yard, although this is a realitively new to the layout, as I needed the space, alterations have already taken place with the two sidings to the right lengthened and another siding squeezed in.

Two drivers make their way to their locos.

Two 156s share the platforms

A couple more shots of ballast wagons.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You have some fascinating looking units! The layout must give you a good few hours of pleasure, I'll wager. A nice effort.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I usually have a rope attached to my leg so SWMBO can get my attention!!!!

I spend too much time playing and not enough actually making it more scenic though.

I also have far too many units! I'm in the process of adding some 117s and a 101 as the last of the old guard to still run, with a couple of 121s for driver training.

The timetable is in the process of change aswell, far to many trains terminate at this station and in reality I think it would be more of a through station with the ability to terminate during the peak period or for engineering work.

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Aren't you a bit scared of those tracks that cut the corners of the inside of the layout? It gives me a funny feeling in the tummy just seeing those photos of rolling stock so close to the edge never mind on track that is almost in this air!

·
Registered
894 Posts
The only point really 'in mid air' is where the HST is on the previous pic, and I rarely park trains on it if I can help it (the HST could have gone back further). I have plans in place to alleviate this issue.

To be honest though, I don't have a problem there, the stock seems to have more of a problem at the station mouth, on the express points, and on the slopes into the fiddle yards. I make sure any stock using it is okay with it and this reduces the likelyhood of major problems.

There is also a plan in motion to change the arrangements on the lower fiddle feeding line which will see a scenic level board providing more security here:

Fast moving stock is rarely near the board edge.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some 117s and a 101 are currently forming Sheffield-Bradford and Sheffield-Manchester services through Ablingham. To celebrate the end of their passenger working life, a couple have been repainted to former liveries, whilst one has been given a new lease of life in a new livery and with some new headlights.

Refurbished white with blue stripe livery

British Rail Blue and grey

two of the 117s couple showing their different liveries

Given a new lease of life, the driving vehicles of this 117 will be kept for route learning purposes

Even Network Southeast is featured

121s are currently used for route learning, these to units head for Manchester

The fiddleyard has had a slight reworking...

to:

A 60 pulls a Coal train through Ablingham

One of the coal wagons

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unsupported track sorted...

And (hopefully) a video:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts